PDA

View Full Version : THC Slanders Nam Vets

xgrunt
05-03-2002, 07:01 AM
When I'm up I usually have The History Channel on the tube playing in the background. Well, this AM I catch an ad for a history on the US Army, a show that will be on tonite. The promo for this HISTORY' See how the Army changed from a loser in Viet Nam to a Gulf War Juggernaut." How Long Oh Lord do we have to continue to have this BS passed on us? It seems that the lack of control THC showed on their forums has passed to their TV staff.or maybe it's just one stupid A-hole who's been shifted to the TV side. I wish one of these "knowledgeable and judgemental" people could spend a couple nights in my dreams and in my memories . If they could ,I don't think "loser" would be the term they would throw around so easily. I love my country but I really don't give a damn about 99% of this society. i had to vent on this one but I hope yall have a real good day, I'm getting on the bike and taking a ride and try to "destress":mad:

DMZ-LT
05-03-2002, 07:21 AM
Sometimes it takes more than one tank of gas before your head gets on right. Enjoy the ride bro, don't mean nothing.:cool:

navynam
05-03-2002, 07:58 AM
xgrunt, I sent the following message to the History Channel on thier web site:

I am a Vietnam vet and proud of it.
Your advertisment on the up coming history of the U.S. Army saying that the Army were losers in Vietnam is a bald faced lie and an insult to the thousands that gave their life in that war.
Are you going to have the traitor Jane Fonda narrate the program? Your choice of words are unfortunate and insulting to a lot of brave men.
The politicians refused to let the Army win the war in Vietnam and that was the only difference between Vietnam and Desert Storm.
You are the losers for saying that on public TV.

Edgar Tullar
Vietnam Veteran

:mad:

I am sure it will make not one bit of difference but it made me feel better

David
05-03-2002, 08:50 AM
I sent email to them as well.

Hello,
I would like to bring to your attention the highly offensive nature of one of your commercials airing today 5-3-02. The commercial describes a show to air tonight and references the Vietnam era Army as losers. This is unacceptable language and obviously written by someone who was not there. I myself am a Gulf War vet and while you lent praise to our action in the same promo spot you must fail to realize that if the actions leading up to the Gulf War were not fought and won our country might not even exist today. I would recommend that you remove this highly offensive commercial from your programming out of respect for the the men and women who gave their lives and blood in Vietnam and could never be termed losers.
Respectfully,
David Bailey
webmaster
http://www.patriotfiles.com

If anyone has a phone number (I could not find one on the site) please post it. Not only do they need to retract the spot they also need to issue an apology.

SEATJERKER
05-03-2002, 09:04 AM
...After seeing the habits of THC over the last 2 years regarding their site, and how it doesn't give a rats ass about anyone there, how can you expect them to be any different regarding their programing on TV...
...BUT, to come out, and deliberately call the men that fought the Viet Nam "losers" is a blatant slap in the face, and can not be tolerated...
...If, and when it is "aired", and if it is addressed under that format/theme, I would hope that every Viet Nam Veteran FLOODS their office, and fax mechines, and e-mails with so much negitive rebuttal that they have no other recourse ,but to apoligize to every Viet Nam Veteran, postbellum, or they'll have one...
I for one will sign any petition that arises demanding that it never hit the screen under that format of, again, ..."losers"...

...how can you men, and women band together, and form a Nationwide voice of disapproval over this, other then here...

wish I could help other then telling all you that I feel for you, and know that all of you suffered more then any of you deserved, and

now 35 years later, their going to rub your faces in shit again, get mad, and get typing...
...what is the e-mail to send them a letter?????
Welcome home, my door will always be open for any of you!!!
"C"

David
05-03-2002, 09:07 AM
The email form is located on the website Seatjerker. I posted my letter as an open letter on mil.com, vets.com, and the usenet groups as well.

A petition might not be a bad idea if we can get ahold of an address to send it to. There is petition sofware located at http://www.libertyfiles.com if someone would like to start one. I for one would sign it. Not only should the spot be removed but an apology is in order.

Seascamp
05-03-2002, 09:12 AM
Grunt,
I?ll watch the program and check out the message. If as advertised, then it is just so much more trash that sets about perpetuating the myth. Oppositely, if they get about the core issues, there may be some interest to it. The core issue as I see it is that there were excellent forces in Vietnam and the term ?looser? certainly can?t be assigned to any forces I was familiar with; USN Operation Time, 2/5 Marines, Army Americal Division, Marine Helicopter Aviation, Marine Detachments and LPH-FMF. However I can?t say enough pitiful stuff about the Saigon?s Pasture St. fluffies (CIA) and the never-ending misdirection plays coming out of the front office in DC. In general, if Pasture St. or some DC ?frendlies? had details about an operation, ya were screwed before ya set out. Now that?s what I call a looser. All in all, it would seem that crummy politicians, out of control intelligence Opps and self-serving media types/agendas should be getting the black brush and losers crown to fit on their pointy heads. We?ll see what we see I suppose. But anyhow, have a good ride and let em pop and crack a bit.

Fair seas, Bill

SEATJERKER
05-03-2002, 09:33 AM
...see...I, William C. Giles write to you in regards to the programming that has been listed on your commercial of 05/03/02
I, being a 30 % service connected Disabled American Veteran, and being a Service Officer for Chapter #38 of the DAV in Troy N.Y. take deep offense to the labeling of your upcoming programming regarding the Vietnam Veterans as "losers"...
I demand to see a retraction of this theme, and express that "The History Channel" issue an apology to every man, and women that ever served in the Vietnam war over the airwaves of "The History Channel"
I will be writing to your advertisers and advising them of the nature of your programming, and the biased nature of it in regards to the Vietnam Veterans, and reminding them that a boycott of their products will arise Nationwide due to your portrayal of such indignity of such honorable men, and women...
I expect an imeadate responce to this matter, and will be in contact with Service officers on a state, and National level....
William C Giles
Service Officer Chapter #38
Troy N.Y. 12180 if I can paste it...

xgrunt
05-03-2002, 09:46 AM
Scamp, I heard the promo several times and it's a basic message. I won't know until tonite the bias of the program but I DO know that sound-bite was Nam=Losers. I sent an e-mail bitch to the corparate swine in charge[CSIC} but I don't believe they give a damn . :D :cool:

Packo
05-03-2002, 11:17 AM
I am not surprised at all on THC's ad. Have not heard it yet but would be real surpised if ANYBODY from that organizaion writes back about it.

How long will this shit go on? As long as the war is taught as a big loss and us as losers in our failing Government owned schools, and by assholes that work for Big T.V. who were probably long hairs in college who burned their draft cards and pissed up our legs.

Screw them! Sure am proud of all of us, Vietnam Vets or not, and especially proud of you that write them and complain. I guarentee that my letter would only perpetuate the stereo-type.

One Pissed Packo

Hoyin
05-03-2002, 11:21 AM
I already wrote them earlier..and am now getting ahold of their coporate office and their snail mail addy.
I saw this last night..and even though I am not a vet..I am a (sort of) Army wife and I thought it was plain rude and insensitive to everyone..especially the Vietnam vets..but truly everyone that cares anything about our military, and the men who so bravely serve.

SEATJERKER
05-03-2002, 11:46 AM
...@ 2:40 my time ...
...unbelievable, Who would authorize a promo like that to be aired...

Hoyin
05-03-2002, 01:43 PM
Okay guys..heres your target!

A&E Television Networks
email is viewer1@aet.com
Telephone is (212) 210-1400 (if you want to speak to a person dont press anything..just wait)
fax is (212)850-9304
Mailing address is A&E Television Networks
235 East 45th Street
New York NY 10017
(You can note it to Viewer Relations or any of those listed below or not note it at all)

Nickolas Davatzes President and CEO A&E Television Network
Whitney Goit II Executive Vice President A&E Television Network
Dan Davids Executive Vice President General Manager A&E Network
** Abbe Raven Executive Vice President General Manager History Channel
Ronald Schneider Executive Vice President Sales and Marketing

There you go...if you need any other information I'll try and find it.

David
05-03-2002, 02:29 PM
Sent faxes to all parties named. So far no responce of any kind from email or posting to their forums.

Gimpy
05-03-2002, 02:48 PM
if it BIT THEM IN THE ASS!!!

Now you see why I don't go over there any more (History channel--vets.com)

PHUCK-UM!!

My e-mails & letters are being "composed" for sending to all the locations and individuals Hoyin has provided here for us.

Another "PISSED-OFF" Suthern Boy,,

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Arrow
05-03-2002, 02:49 PM
in just a half second here.

How long will this shit go on? As long as the war is taught as a big loss and us as losers in our failing Government owned schools, and by assholes that work for Big T.V. who were probably long hairs in college who burned their draft cards and pissed up our legs.

I could not have said it better than my friend Packo. And I might add that most media/academic types are over- educated/brainwashed/with a driving desire to push their worldview/political/historical views on the rest of us poor ignorant peasants out here in the Heartland of America.

Ok everybody take a moment of your day walk out side your door look east but don't bow/head up and proud now/raise both hands in the air and fly a double California Howdy towards the A&E Office in NYC!!

And don't forget one thing. You don't need anyone to define who you are. You know who you are! These people and those like them do not deserve the space they are takin' up in your brain. It is much to valuable to waste on these talking heads. Peace! Arrow>>>>>>

http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/iipcache/9.png

navynam
05-03-2002, 05:33 PM
I sent A&E the following email:

The advertisement for the up coming "History of the Army" on the History channel states that the men of the Army were losers in the Vietnam War. If you check your history books you will find the Army was pulled out of Vietnam in 1973 and the war was lost in 1975. You who are advertising the show with these lies are the losers.
The politicians tied both of the military's hands behind their back with "limited Warfare" They never let the military fight to win, only to appease their constituents. If the Army had been free to fight a full scale war, they would have won, that is the simple fact.
I met your kind back in 1967 in Height Ashbury, they spit on me and called me baby burner. I met your kind again in 1968 when I went to the VFW and was told I was not welcome because I had not fought in a real foreign war. We were cursed, spit on, called many names, and treated as outcast.
Out of disgust for the way the American public treated we service men, I got out of the Navy after ten years of what I thought was my career field.
Time passed but we were never recognized for our service to county. We have always remained outcast, but the public did stop calling us names, or at least I thought they had. Now on National TV you call the Army Vietnam vets "losers".
I will not sink to your level and call you the names I would like to, but I will demand a public apology on National TV for your despicable act against the honor of those who died on the battle fields of Vietnam and for those who served honorably on those battle fields, only to return to an ungrateful country who honored traitors like Jane Fonda.

Vietnam Vet and Proud
Edgar Tullar

Again, don't believe it will do any good, but again it made me feel better to blast them a little.
:mad:

phuloi
05-03-2002, 09:53 PM
For SHAME!..I am a disabled Vietnam veteran who,until now,has spent many hours viewing A&E and History Channel.No more..How dare you perpetuate the myth of the U.S.Army Veterans as losers!? You sure have used miles of footage of us in your programming over the years that has obviously endeared you to your sponsors,but now you have the audacity to label us as "LOSERS".As historians then,I`m sure you can identify and verify all the battles that we lost in the field?...Aw,c`mon...NAME ONE! Just as I suspected.Kiss my ass...On second thought,don`t....you people are not worthy....
Bill Melvin
34th EBC

RVN 1967-68

phuloi
05-03-2002, 09:58 PM
That e-mail address is no good.Anyone got another?

Arrow
05-04-2002, 06:59 PM
I guess there "ain't" one. The phone number worked. But of course they are doing day hours only so I have to call them back Monday. I want to talk to someone. I have sent my share of e-mails off into the black hole of vet.com and never saw a response. I'm burned out with it. It won't matter to them what I say. But it will matter to me that I said it.

Arrow
05-06-2002, 09:23 AM
I spoke with viewer relations this morning to a very nice lady that tried to wiggle out of the insult thrown at Vietnam Vets regard the Promo. I first told her I understood that I knew she was just doing her job answering the phone and my comments were not directed at her but at the producers of the program.

I stated first the promo was an insult to Vietnam Vets and historically inacurate. Her reply was it was taken in the wrong manner. And that what they meant to say is that the Army as a whole lost the war in Vietnam but that troops fighting it were not losers. I told her we did not lose we left. I informed her we never lost a major battle and in fact we were on our way to victory in 1968 when the politicians screwed it up.

I informed her that the Veterans of this country and esp the Vietnam Vets were probably as a group the largest part of their viewing audience and they were probably going to see a huge backlash on this. I informed her that a letter had gone out to some of the major sites on the internet informing them of the statement.

I told her intentional or not (I believe it was) there needed to be a retraction aired. I told her that I wanted to follow up with a fax and asked her if the they got trashed or read. She stated that they would get read and encouraged all of us to write. The fax number she gave me for viewer relations is as follows:

212-983-4370

I would recommend that a fax be sent objecting to the statement and asking for a retraction. If someone wants to carry this over to mil.com and other sites please do so. I don't have time to do it this morning.

One thing I do know fax will probably get more attention than e-mail in an office. The reason being is that more than person has to handle them. And sooner or later someone is going to get pissed if they get enough of them. Maybe so pissed as to do something about it. If you are not set up to fax there are little mailbox places all over this country that you can walk into and fax from for just a few bucks. The people working the shops will help you if you don't know how to do it. I am composing one and sending it today.

They got my name and number and address maybe they will put me on TV and make me a star.;)

phuloi
05-06-2002, 10:50 AM
You`re already a star.Honey..A bright and shining one ,at that.;)

Seascamp
05-06-2002, 11:29 AM
Well, once again my objectivity and analytical idiot brain got me in trouble. I heard the promo and XGrunt was absolutely correct and I was wrong to even consider watching the show. A street pimp/barker could have done a better job of cheep shot insults. HC definitely has an agenda and that does not include objectivity and honesty. I sent off a scathing E-mail and that is unusual for me. By the way, does everyone know that Bits got booted out of HC?s Vets.com? Seems as how he got in a scrap with a Lesbian, said some un flattering words and boom, that was it. Sad bit of business for sure. One would think the real counter productive people would get the boot, but no. I suppose referring to a Lesbian as a queer is a major league taboo with HC and the trap door springs instantly.

For those who may wish to learn the real VN story, I highly recommend the book ?The Rise and Fall of an American Army? by Shelby L. Stanton. This book stands tall to the usual guy or gal doing their best but isn?t very kind to the perfumed princes that pretended to know what they were doing and used the lives of our bros and sissies like some sort of high school lab experiment. All the places and battles mentioned by the bros here are in the book. And yes, even the Navy gets mentioned, yahoo. Good reading and educational as all heck.

Fair seas, Bill

Keith_Hixson
05-06-2002, 11:43 AM
Wouldn't say anything nasty would he?

Doesn't surprise me. I haven't seen any of his posts on here lately.

Keith:D

P.S. I must harass him for his lack of tact.

Alxandernoel
05-06-2002, 11:48 AM
Hey Bro, what do you expect from a channel that shows movies and acts like they are history dont let em get to you they dont know a damn thing about it.

39mto39g
05-06-2002, 01:20 PM
Wheres my hand gernad, I mean paper, sorry.
Ron

Gimpy
05-07-2002, 12:37 PM
the History Channel was speaking about!

And old member of my unit (2/60th--9th Div.) wrote this.

***START***

OLD RELIABLE

They were called "Old Reliable" and they garnered lots of fame.

Those familiar with their story know they lived up to the name.

From the forests of the Ardennes to the land of Charlie?s birth

"Old Reliable" set the standard; to a man they proved their worth.

Riverine Infantry was a concept that was tested once before

With a group of Union soldiers fighting in the Civil War.

But the 2nd Brigade went for perfection in the war in Viet Nam

By invading Charlie?s hideouts from its home base in Dong Tam.

Those who sit and count their blessings in this land of liberty

Aren?t aware of hardships suffered in the quest to keep it free.

From the rivers of the delta to the jungles filled with death

Fighting hand-to-hand with Charlie, "Old Reliable" passed the test.

The "Brownwater Navy" and "Old Reliable" formed a solid plan

That would bring the war to Charlie and drive him from the land

The Navy had the boats that would take them to the places

Where the soldiers went ashore and destroyed the VC bases.

Riding Tangos up the rivers proved at times a deadly chore.

Taking mortar rounds and rockets from the bushes on the shore.

Delta canals were so narrow that they couldn?t turn around

So they slugged it out with Charlie as they raced for safer ground.

In his strongholds in the delta, Charlie thought he was secure

But he failed to comprehend the things that soldiers will endure.

Waist deep in delta mud as they struggled through the mire

"Old Reliable" kept on pushing, laying down a deadly fire.

There were many fearsome battles for the men of this brigade

And accolades were common for the roles the soldiers played.

Dinh Thuong, Long An, Song Rach Gai, where so many brave men fell

Strange sounding names from long ago with stories yet to tell.

The soldiers of "Old Reliable," who played the stakes so high

Rousted Charlie from the delta, by water, land and sky

The records of their bravery are now etched in history

For the 2nd of the 9th was known as Riverine Infantry.

So as you sit and count your blessings in this land of Liberty

Think of all the brave, young soldiers who have died to keep it free.

And rest assured, if ever needed, "Old Reliable" will heed the call.

To fight your wars and shoot your guns and defend you one and all.

######################################

For the members of the 2nd Brigade of the 9th Infantry Division,

3/47th, 4/47th, 3/60th, and all other members of the U.S. Army who

fought so valiantly on the rivers and canals of Vietnam.

****END****

Packo
05-07-2002, 12:53 PM
What a wonderful poem my Brother in Dixieness!

Thanks for putting that on the sight. You "cookie monsters" did such a helluva job in the Delta, they let you guys go home first.... Web feet and all!

Proud to be your friend,

Packo

DMZ-LT
05-07-2002, 01:08 PM
gave me goose bumps. 3/5th Cav . started off as the organic Cav. recon. Squadron of the psychedelic cookie Division.

SEATJERKER
05-22-2002, 09:30 AM
...Anyone else get anything...
Member Services

Get E-mail Message List Compose Choose folderINBOX DAV SentMail Trash <Manage Folders> Address Book Mailboxes Options Help Logout

Logged in as: smokeykitty Message: 2 of 33
Mailbox: smokeykitty on AT&T WorldNet
Folder: INBOX
Read Message

From: Viewer Relations <viewr2@199.184.165.9> [ Save address ]
To: smokeykitty@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: The History Channel: Feedback
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 15:39:52 -0400
At 5/3/2002 12:31 PM, you wrote:
>--------------------------------------------------------------
>First Name: William
>Last Name: CGiles
>E-mail Address: smokeykitty@worldnet.att.com
>Regarding: Other
>Comments: ...I, William C. Giles write to you in regards to the
>programming that has been listed on your commercial of 05/03/02
> I, being a 30 % service connected Disabled American Veteran, and being
> a Service Officer for Chapter #38 of the DAV in Troy N.Y. take deep
> offense to the labeling of your upcoming programming regarding the
> Vietnam Veterans as "losers"...
> I demand to see a retraction of this theme, and express that "The
> History Channel" issue an apology to every man, and women that ever
> served in the Vietnam war over the airwaves of "The History Channel"
> I will be writing to your advertisers and advising them of the nature
> of your programming, and the biased nature of it in regards to the
> Vietnam Veterans, and reminding them that a boycott of their products
> will arise Nationwide due to your portrayal of such indignity of such
> honorable men, and women...
> I expect an imeadate responce to this matter, and will be in contact
> with Service officers on a state, and National level....
> William C Giles
> Service Officer Chapter #38
> Troy N.Y. 12180
>--------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mr. Giles,

Thank you for your interest in The History Channel program THE BATTLE
HISTORY OF THE U.S. ARMY. We sincerely apologize if the promo for that
program offended you. This promo was telecast on May 3; it will not play
again.

The History Channel has nothing but respect for all branches of our armed
services. We are proud to telecast this important program and to honor the
men and women, past and present, of the United States Army.

We appreciate your continued support.
Cordially,
Viewer Relations

A&E Networks
www.AandE.com
www.HistoryChannel.com
www.Biography.com
www.historyinternational.com

Get E-mail | Message List | Compose | Address Book | Mailboxes | Options | Printable View
Help | Feedback | Logout | AT&T WorldNet Home

...Hope it helped..............."C"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Terms and Conditions. AT&T Online Privacy Policy. AT&T WorldNet i495 & 7/7 Privacy Policy.
Copyright 2002. AT&T. All Rights Reserved.

xgrunt
05-23-2002, 02:13 PM
only on May 3 they will trash the memories of my bros. What a bullshit unresponsive reply.:mad: :mad:

DMZ-LT
05-23-2002, 04:30 PM
They can never trash the memories of our brothers , bro . They are alive in my heart, and yours. F everyone else, we know what we did.

David
05-23-2002, 09:59 PM
Wow, suprised anyone got a responce. I emailed and faxed multiple addys and got nothing back at all. They still need to issue an apology and they also need to promise to never air a promo such as this again.

exlrrp
05-24-2002, 04:30 PM
Boy You guys sure get all riled up easy. thats love talk compared to what gets said around here before shots ring out.
I sure hope this won't get everyone all riled up again, I mean no disrespect for sure but Who really gives a flying chinga how they wanna promote some dumbass serial? That ain't the nastiest thing Ive ever heard VN vets called,no, not by a long shot. I know what I did and what most of you did and Ive accepted the fact that it will NEVER be appreciated by most--the most uanappreciated performance art ever. But I appreciate it and there's a whole bunch of folks around here , only 6 exits away from Berkeley and in the rest of the country who do also. I'm willling to take that good feeling to the grave, Thank God. I sorta think service should be done as anonymous as possible anyway, better karmic return--its a spiritual principle that fits right into the lrrp philosophy: "Dirty Work Unobserved!"
Finished work early, might just go out and sit in the back yard on a gorgeous California day, happy just to be alive after all Ive been through
Have a good one, all!!

James

Arrow
05-24-2002, 05:14 PM
Well that's an interesting view point...

But check this out my girl is pretty busy livin' in the present and lookin forward to tomorrow. She is happy to be alive too.

But did those green eyes flash when I told her what was said. She took it kinda of personal. She was on it like white on rice. She got it. It was *kiss my ass* THC in NYC.

"They are talkin' about my Dad." "Write a letter to the Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, and let them know that my Dad was not a loser."

Anywho got a letter back from THC after a phone call...

I handed to Griz to read in WA state over Mexican Food. He can tell you it was a blow off letter..sorry about that...no, no we didn't mean this we meant that..per normal THC bullshit...

I took it personal too..real personal...

but it's just another day in la la land..

what else is new..

want the truth...

turn off the TV...

and read...

a book..

might start with "We Were Soldiers Once And Young"

Here's to you Bill. The whole world may forget your diligent service to the Country you loved and paid the ultimate price for but they can kiss our collective sweet Irish ass...

Loved you then, love you now..if they love me they have to love you..that's the way it goes...now and always your wild Irish Rose..

Just another ridge and I'll be home..