PDA

View Full Version : Wannabe?

Packo
05-07-2002, 01:03 PM
While in the "passage way", "1st Deck", this p.m. I ran into the Command Master Chief, a friend and paratrooper also. He was talking with one of the electricians and the Master Chief says, "Tommy, this guy was Army too, a helo pilot." I said "Cool, did you fly "Slicks or Guns"? He looked at me like I had Crawfish coming out of my ears and says, "Man, I flew Huey's."

He then told the CMC that he was a Warrent Officer but when he told the CO to "kiss his ass and f _ _ k off," they made him a Sergeant. I asked when he was in and he says 73' to 89', and the CMC says before I came up he said he was in Vietnam as a Huey Pilot.

Now my bullshit antenna are at full extend......I'm betting WANNABE!

Please vote as you feel.

Packo, F4 Jocky, Infantry Platoon Leader, Tank Commander, and Cobra Pilot.
Vietnam 59-75 (I also hold the record for the longest tour, non-stop)

David
05-07-2002, 01:10 PM
I would have to vote wannabe ;)

Keith_Hixson
05-07-2002, 01:13 PM
That sends up red flags with me. My guess he is a wannabee.

Keith

Gimpy
05-07-2002, 01:14 PM
I betcha thet suckas' name wuz---

AlvinAudeyGeorge YorkMurpheyPatton tha III , HUH??

Gimmie-a-brake!

Yo Frand and Submarinier, Commodore extroidinare his-seff,

Admiral "Stonewall" Gimp-Nimitiz-Halsey

:D :D :D :D :D :D

DMZ-LT
05-07-2002, 01:24 PM
Had a guy in a bar, with a CIB RVN hat on tell me he couldn't tell me where he was in Nam cause it was still secret. Then he told me he did "recon" with a mech. pathfinder unit. Then my friend Jimmy dropped him at the bar:mad:

sn-e3
05-07-2002, 02:15 PM
Yes folks they are still with us and always will be. had a guy i used too work with man what a hero he was 6 tours in the bush he was a green beret in the marines also a sniper and seal depending on which day you ask a real jerk

xgrunt
05-07-2002, 02:16 PM
As a Special Ops Secret truck driver I can't tell you where I drove my deuce and a quarter because then I would have to kill you. After telling my top sgt to kiss my a** they busted me to driving top secret jeeps. My route tickets are still classified National Top Secret. Hmm think that lie will get me a free beer in a bar? What is with these assholes? the "military consultant" for one of the national cable news turns out to have spent a total of 46 days in Basic before being discharged. he claimed to be a retired Lt Col with combat awards. When we came home most of this country didn't want anything to do with us and now it seems like every time you turn around some lying jack-off is trying to claim to be one of us. Usually I just listen to their lies and laugh at them.:D :D :cool:

Seascamp
05-07-2002, 02:29 PM
Might be an interesting question to ask what kind of engine throttle control he had on the Huey bird collective. The only kind they had was a manual twist throttle sort of like a motorcycle but if one never went riding in that vintage of bird they wouldn?t know the collective control from bird droppings. Later Military birds had auto engine throttle control and were a bit easier to fly as I understand. So I?m betting on a sea story or a severe case of amnesia. Strange as to how so many supposed VN Vets get a rip roaring case of amnesia. I met a fellow once who didn?t know what Army unit he was in. No one ever told him was the cover story. Well, oh tay Buckwheat, got it. .

Adm. Haratio SeaScamp Nelson.
Fair seas, Bill

phuloi
05-07-2002, 04:35 PM
The only thing that asshole ever flew was bullshit!

Advisor
05-07-2002, 07:47 PM
Take the bassard up ta twenty thousand feet n' give him a push, the lying bun of a sich. Flew helo's huh. Sheeeeeiiiiit...these bungholes make crotch itch..they coulda volunteered ta take my place back then soz I coulda played Jody.
He is a friggin' liar..call him on it!:mad: :mad: :mad:

frisco-kid
05-07-2002, 08:28 PM
This is so cool! It MUST be him! This has to be the guy that flew that Huey to Hanoi to extract us after we made that H.A.L.O. [High Altitude Low Opening, to you non-heroes] jump to do a recon of Ho Chi Minh's personal bunker. I'm so glad he made it. And he works with you? What are the odds? :D :D

Bust his ass. In front of somebody.

Good talkin' to ya Sunday, Bro.

1CAVCCO15MED
05-07-2002, 11:06 PM
That's the guy that flew in our group of attack mules into Laos. We had little blades on the front of our mules to cut ditches across the Ho Chi Minh trail. It was fun watching those poor suckers ride their bicycles off the edge. It didn't kill them but it was hell on morale. We were called the Roman Mules.

Keith_Hixson
05-08-2002, 12:44 AM
These people are to pitied. They don't have a life of their own and they have to make one up. Sad indeed. But, when they take away honor from those who deserve it they have gone too far.

Met a guy once wearing a fatigue jacket with all kinds of ranks and medal hanging on it. Said he earned them all. I asked what each one stood for and he didn't the difference between an eagle for colonel (navy captain) and a medal. Who do they think they are fooling. He had the first cav and big red one patches and didn't who or what they stood for.

You don't whether to laugh, cry or belittle them.

Keith

Packo
05-08-2002, 08:06 AM
When I was a biker and belonged to a "club" and flew colors, me and a couple of the bro's, one a combat medic, 9th Div., (a member of the famous "Fightin' Gimpy Brigade), were in this large bar/dancehall. We were watchin' the dancin' and listening to the band,(playing Whipping Post by Alman Bros), when we noticed some guy lighting ever cigarette for people he could. I mean if you pulled one out he would rush to light it. Anyway he was near me so I had to see what this asshole was up to. I pulled a Marlboro out and bingo, he's there. As he fires up the Zippo, I notice a CIB on it and a Big Red One, with Vietnam under it. I immediately said, "Hey bro, if your gonna be one....?" and he looked at me and said, "Ahh, yeah man". I repeated, "If you gonna be one". "Yeah man, cool" was his answer. Well, anger control in those days for me was not sumpin' I knew much about and proceeded to show him the hard end of my right arm. I told him to get up and unless he could convince me and "Big Ed" that he was a Vet with the 1st Div, he was in big trouble. He then made the mistake of saying, "Oh, this was my best friends lighter. He died in Vietnam and willed this to me". Well not the answer "Big Ed" wanted to here and believe me, he was bigger than me. This poor fool paid a serious price but doubt he ever played the Vietnam Vet again. We sent the lighter to Zippo, who used to do everything they could to find the owner.

A wonderful moment in Packo's Life!

Andy
05-08-2002, 08:25 AM
During my short stint in aviation a Cobra or a Huey (D model usually) with mini-guns and rocket pods was a "Gun". All other choppers in the comapny, Huey's, were slicks except for the old man's chopper which was just known as Six. This was the second half of '68.

The word (name) Huey was the name given to the pilot who was the current "goat". The guy who had most recently done a bad landing, flown to the wrong location, thought he was talking on the intercom when he was really talking on battalion freq. I'd think the pilot you talked with has the given name, Huey, and he earned it!

I don't think NCO's were ever allowed to fly choppers. If he was demoted to a Sgt. what would he have done? If he were a problem child, it seems they would have simply de-exed him.

Maybe he actually flew the XUH-1Bull, a secret weapon better known as the Magic Carpet. He no doubt too part in Operation Magical Myster Tour and supplied troops with white lamp black.

Stay healthy,
Andy
PS: Our gun ship platoon was known as the Rat Pack. The pilot or co-pilot who "met" the most young ladies was known as Frank - get it?

Seascamp
05-08-2002, 09:11 AM
The one I prized was from the USS Pollax, AKS 4. This was where I did my very first cable drop from a Marine helicopter and that was an enough to get the mokish looking light a taillight. Total training was some hand signals from the door gunner, then strapped into a harness and out I went. The hand signals meant, ?don?t forget to send the life belt back up on the hook?, like I understood everything he signed, not. Anyway, I got a lighter, ash tray and ship?s patch from the Pollax?s shipper for the work done. This served as a guest lighter on my coffee table for ages until it went missing. Later it turned up in the dick skinners of an acquaintance and I grabbed it back. This guy had served with the Marines in Gitmo and missed the VN deal. An OK guy usually but full to the gills with Gitmo Marine legions and lore. Sounds like a scary place back during those times but my lighter didn?t have anything to do with that, I?d say. It had to do with me being a scared, green, kiddo, overcoming fear and doing what was expected, that?s all. Not a big deal in retrospect but a real big deal at the time. Alas, the real scary stuff was yet to come.

Fair seas, Bill

exlrrp
05-08-2002, 09:59 AM
Some basic facts not right.
Throw the bastard out and horsewhip him

James

happy just to be alive

phuloi
05-08-2002, 10:57 AM
February or March,1968(I still had a tan) I`m in a pizza joint in Boston`s infanous "Combat Zone",and this idiot is espousing his heroics in combat in Vietnam to everyone in the place.Smelling a rat,I asked him where all this had taken place.He answered with a garbled response of some Korean town,and told me he was a Marine officer and that I would refer to him as "SIR"...WRONG ANSWER,ASSHOLE!I brought a right from somewhere behind me near the floor up under his chin,and I swear to God,it lifted him a foot off the deck and square through a store-front window...just like you would see in the movies.Your correspondant casually slipped through the hole in the wall and mingled into the crowd.

Packo
05-08-2002, 12:52 PM
Was in one of our biker bars on "the Island". A former member of the "club" and I went in the back to play pool. The former member "Tubby" was drivin' 18 wheelers and making collections for the local Sicilian's. His fist was every bit as big as Jame's head. Anyway he started shootin' pool with this ass who out of the blue states he's a former Air Force Ranger and Vietnam Vet. I said "great man, where were you stationed"? "Taiwan Vietnam" was his response after pondering the question for a couple of minutes. "Not close you lying asshole" I responded. Tubby looked at me and said, "Hey Packo, don't be so mean...how do you know he's lying?" (Tubby was a great guy but not the brightest bulb in the basket) "Tubby, I said, Taiwan is China, not Vietnam." Tubby, holding the Q-stick buy it's ends, left on top, right on bottom, snapped that sucker right in half. (I must admit, have tried that a bunch of times and could never do it. No knee, just arms.) and proceeded to chase that punk out of the bar using the thick end. I asked him why HE was so pissed at that guy and Tubby replys..."I may have been a draft dodger, but you went, and my brother went, (82nd Airborne), and it just pisses me off to have a guy say he went when he didn't".

Better that guy than me!

Packo

PS James, ask Dan about Tubby sometime and him teaching Sallie to play Craps. A FUNNY FUNNY STORY!

sivallib1973
05-08-2002, 04:34 PM
I agree that the guy is a wannabee. But why bash the guy or guys? I would just carve the word "liar" into their foreheads and let them go at that! Then everyone they meet know they are liars! Me? I served in Nam but for such a brief time that it almost doesn't count! I was in Dong Tam in the Mekong Delta area with the 39th signal battalion for only a couple of weeks before I was med evaced to Japan where I was reassigned never to return to Vietnam. I guess I spent a total of one month in country. It took a while to finally get to Dong Tam. First we went from Saigon to Long Bienh and spent a few days there and then we flew to Vung Tau for a few days and then finally on to Dong Tam. The final few days in country were spent in the hospital at Can Tho.

TVZ
05-08-2002, 06:29 PM
How come wannabes were never truck drivers or crane operators or swabbies or mechanics or armorers or the million and one other MOS's that make the machine go? I think everyone who ever drove a honeysucker (or cleaned 'em the old-fashioned way with gas and a zippo) deserves the biggest, shiniest medal they got.

I wasn't in Vietnam. If I were old enough at the time I might even have joined my nearest "Dodgers of Foreign Wars" chapter. :D

But I like you guys. You're the only decent people I know.

splummer
05-08-2002, 06:44 PM
Well, kinda
Someone had to give them a ride to the Demo range.

I also work with a marine, exlrrp. or to people who stop in at the post office and don't know him Navy Seal. When not being a janitor at work, he's a sarget major in an inteligence UNIT in the reserves.
HELLO, IS ANYONE OUT THERE

frisco-kid
05-08-2002, 08:51 PM
Glad to see you finally got on the right road and got your truck drivin' butt over here.:D

DMZ-LT
05-09-2002, 04:16 PM
Glad you was in Hue when all that $hit was going on in Way ... still got me smiling ! Welcome home.

Andy
05-09-2002, 07:25 PM
WHAT were you doing in the Combat Zone in Boston? I know what went on there. Spent many nights on Washington St. and can remember most (some) of what I did. I'm ashamed of you!

Stay healthy,
Andy

SEATJERKER
05-09-2002, 08:12 PM
... are the conversations I've come to know, and ...you know ... the little chit chat from all you proper folks...
wanna-be's.... wern't we all wanna-be's at one point until...,... until you said I do, then you did, and everything afterthatwasso jumbledtogetherthatyoudon'trememberanythingafterth atforayearorso...
...wanna-be's are just waiting for their call to glory, it's just a little late, wait it's here, where, gone, don't ever give me a soapbox, and a street corner....
we had a vis-i-tor earl-i-er...
... don't mind me, been up 3 times this week, at 4:00, 3;30, and 4:45 respect-i-livly...
...and rather then stay on this box, and let you all know that I've completely lost it,...(I'm losing it, I lost it, and I don't want to find it...)... I'll bid you Adiou, nice to see you all starting to loosnen up.......

phuloi
05-10-2002, 12:32 AM
Think I hear the pot calling the kettle black;)

GoldenDragon
05-10-2002, 03:00 AM
Wannabe.

" My ears always pop up at,
"I was a Seal, I was Special Forces, I was at Khe San, I was a chopper pilot, I was a door gunner, I was with Black Ops, I was a tunnel rat."

Dead give aways;

"I was a General, it was classified so still secret, killing gooks is easy, I was Sgt Major of all the Marine Corps, I knew Westmoreland personally, I got the Medal of Honor, I got 3 Bronze Stars, I was NEVER scared, I did 5 tours, I still can't hear good because I was a Huey doorgunner and that ".50 caliber" ruined my hearing, I once did a 360 in a Huey, I once landed a Huey in a treetop on purpose and had to climb down being shot at all the time;.......these are just a FEW that I have heard over the years. I always reserve judgement but, after about two questions you can bust their asses.

blues clues
05-10-2002, 03:44 AM
need to wait for the third a then you can bust them.you've got to learn to control yourself...hahaha ,Dragon got a question what the nearest va cline from kings mountain got a friend up that way need's to know.have a good one.
razz:D :D :D

Advisor
05-10-2002, 06:54 AM
:D I take exception to Seatjerker saying we were all wannabe's at one time just waiting for our time of glory..whoa Dude..not me...I was a neverwannabe! My Daddy, the old 1st Shirt, done told me that war ain't no fun and to NEVER volunteer for nuthing..Hell, I would just as soon stay home playing Jodie than goin' out searching for glory..I'll take nookie over glory any day of the week..Sheeeeeit..I ain't no hero..I'm a luver n' not a fighter.

I usually have two reactions to wannabes..they either amuse me or they piss me off. A guy telling stories just makes me laugh..just looooove to pull their chain..BUT, the ones who lie about killing civilians and so on..you know, the ones who piss on our brothers' graves...I just want to insert a large pole where the sun doesn't shine.

82Rigger
05-10-2002, 06:44 PM
...how the Wannabees react after they've "played their cards" and you start asking them questions?
Some of them clam up, some get amnesia or a bad memory. And some just happily let you trot them from one lie to another!

I LOVE it when one of them claims to be something that calls for parachute qualification. Especially when they don't know I was a rigger.

For some reason, I've run into numerous Marine Recon wannabees. Some of them preferred the T7A chute over the T10 (the T7A was a WW2 chute), and all of them agree that the rigging procedure for Marine jumpers was really rough.
During VN the Marine combat boot had hooks on the top three rows instead of eyelets for quick - lacing the boot. The "special" rigging procedure for Marine jumpers was simply taping over the hooks with masking tape so they wouldn't foul on anything during the jump. Yeah, that's really painful! LOL!

It's fun hangin' 'em, but it's MORE fun when they dig the hole for ya! :D

Airborne! Steve / 82Rigger

frisco-kid
05-10-2002, 08:28 PM
Years ago my brother-in-law [101st, 2/327] and I walked into a bar in Spokane, WA, when one of these "HEROES" was in the middle of a war story. After listening for a couple of minutes and determining, beyond a doubt, that this guy was full of BS, I interrupt him and ask "How many PLFs did you carry in your ruck?" Well, he doesn't even skip a beat and pipes up "Four," and picks up the story where he left off. After a couple of more minutes, Bob can't stand it anymore. He pulls him backwards off the barstool, turns him around and says "Fuck you," as he pops the guy in the eye. The guy catches his balance and heads for the door. Doesn't say a word.

P.S. A PLF is a Parachute Landing Fall to all you legs. :D

GoldenDragon
05-11-2002, 11:42 AM
I assume you mean Kings Mountain, NC? Here are links to all the VAMC's in North and South Carolina;

North Carolina (http://www.va.gov/sta/guide/state.asp?divisionid=1&STATE=NC)

South Carolina (http://www.va.gov/sta/guide/state.asp?divisionid=1&STATE=SC)

39mto39g
05-12-2002, 10:30 AM
ok---I have resisted long enough.
EXLRRP is Kule

And,
When I started in the fire department, there was a cop that came by every day for coffee and BS.
One day he said that he was in VN. Oh--- where were you, I ask,
He starts telling me about his MP job in Saigon. Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, I won the CMH, What---- What was that last thing you said, You won the Congesinal Medal of Honor? Yes , he says, Now I don't know much about medals but I do know that there is book about MOH winners and there names and what they did to get it. Well, I let him talk, seem he not only won the MOH but 2-MOH.
The next day I went and bought the book and it was lying on the table when he came in for his coffee. I asked him if he wouldn't mine showing us his name and story in the book. He turned without a word and walked out, oh yea, hasn't been back.
Ya know, if your plannig on faking a medal, don't use MOH.
And, I read the book, well most of it, those guys are heros.

exlrrp
05-13-2002, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by 39mto39g
ok---I have resisted long enough.
EXLRRP is Kule

there ya go with th spelling again, Ron you mean exlrrp is C-O-O-L
yer one in a million, Ron--that means theres 2,000 chinese just like ya

the real truth is 39mto39g is Gary Holland on acid.
ROTFLMAO

James

happy just to be alive

(PS all you guys spend too much time in bars talkin to bullshtters)

Andy
05-13-2002, 09:01 AM
Don't they have IQ and Psych tests for cops down in your neck of the woods? Even an idiot should know that the MOH is sort of special. I'm probably wrong but I thought only two guys got two MOH's. One was Tom Custer, George's brother. The other was a guy named Snidely or something like that, who got involved in some dirty politics in the 1930's, anti-Roosevelt and all that.

Once you start asking of question of some Yahoo, what I hear most often is: My records indicate I was in the Coast Guard reserve but I was actually special ops and my files are sealed and top secret. You hear a detailed story of how they attacked a company of VC armed with nothing but a K-bar and a P-38 but they just can't remember specifically which unit they were in.

Once I asked a guy who said he was infantry to remind me how to set out a claymore. He said his unit didn't use them. Asked another guy how many meals were in a case of C's. He said they just lived off the land, never ate C's. Who knows, they probably were telling the truth. And I'll probably hit the lottery again this week.

Stay healthy,
Andy