PDA

View Full Version : Veteran License Plates

frisco-kid
07-07-2002, 02:14 AM
I guess most [all?] states offers them. My son got me a personalized plate for Fathers Day, which wasn't easy since he lives in Japan. His Mom helped.

CA offers several versions. The regular Vets plate has a large list of military unit and branch insignias to choose from. My son ordered mine with the 101st Airborne insignia. You can also have them personalized with upto six letters, if they're not spoken for already. My son had mine say 66VNAM. Also available is a POW, Purple Heart, Medal Of Honor, Silver Star, and Bronze Star Plate. The cost of the plate is $40 the first year, and $30 thereafter. All of the money from the plate goes into funding CalVet programs.

So what other states offers Vet plates? Who else has them? I know you do, Andy. Some states, like MA, offers other DMV perks to their vets.

Thanks for the gift, Scott. I display them proudly, telling people who I am and where I've been. Especially when driving through Berkeley:D .

39mto39g
07-07-2002, 03:25 AM
Never seen them in Texas, never noticed anyway. Wouldn't know where to look for one.
Ron

Tamaroa
07-07-2002, 06:23 AM
In NY, all I have seen are POW and Purple Heart Plates. Although, I saw one the other day that was generic. It was an American flag with the word veteran underneath it.

I'll have to look into it more.

Regards,

BillD

SEATJERKER
07-07-2002, 07:40 AM
...are offered in NY at the cost of 19 dollars the first year, and no charge after that, personalized is 40 bucks (one time), and just normal rereg fees every year...
...must be a fully paid life member, and be approved by the state leaders...
...ordered mine a while back,... DAV 3333 is what I chose, will be here in a few weeks...

Stick
07-07-2002, 10:45 AM
Had one in Ohio when we lived up there with a VN Service Ribbon on it. Thought that was neat. Had to show my DD214 to get it. Here in Georgia I have 2 different plates both are for T&P service connected. One has "Disabled Vet" on it and cost the same as a normal plate. The other has "Handicapped Vet" on it and it cost nothing. The HV plate also eliminates the cost of Ad Volorum tax which is Georgias way of paving their roads without taxing fuel. I have also seen POW and Purple Heart tags here.

JPWatson
07-07-2002, 10:53 AM
39mto39g,Texas has them you can check them out on TxDot

sempers JP

xgrunt
07-07-2002, 12:36 PM
has Disabled Vet plates at a really reduced rate[you have to show your letter with your rating],they also have Purple Heart and POW plates. They als have 'vanity' plates for WWII, Korea, Nam and Desert Storm. Also National Guard and Military Retired w/your service on the plate. I have no idea on the costs of these as I stick with my very cheap Disabled Vet plate. :D :D :cool:

Bernadette
07-07-2002, 02:38 PM
Florida Marine Corps. (http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/specialtytags/USMarineCorps.html)

NY Plates (http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/military.htm)

California Plates (http://www.onlinedmv.com/CA_California_dmv_department_of_motor_vehicles.htm )

Georgia Plates (http://www.dmvs.ga.gov/plates/index.html)

Alabama Plates (http://www.onlinedmv.com/AL_Alabama_dmv_department_of_motor_vehicles.htm)

Just a few links for you guys!! all states listed at onlinedmv (http://www.onlinedmv.com/) from there just search for your state & navigate to the plate selection.

ArtySgt
07-07-2002, 02:58 PM
offers all the plates mention by every one and some others. I have Purple Heart plates on my car. One time fee for the Purple Heart plates unless you personalize them.

1CAVCCO15MED
07-07-2002, 04:16 PM
Has all the above variety. We also have free disabled vet tags, free POW tags. Korean War Vet, Vietnam Vet, WWII, Desert Storm, all branches of service. None cost extra.

phuloi
07-07-2002, 08:35 PM
Disabled Vet plates are free for life in Washington.Also have Purple Heart,POW,and Pearl Harbor Survivor plates

Packo
07-08-2002, 05:27 AM
To get DV tags one must be 100% SC, permanent. They are free and you don't have to pay Personal Property Taxes on your car or land.

I have Purple Heart tags. When I moved from NC to SC the tags were $90 and considered the same as any other Vanity plate. We got the legislature to change that. Now they are a beautiful tag and cost just a small amount less then a regular tag. The PH tag in NC was the stupidest thing I had ever seen. It is my underestanding that it has since been changed. The PH on it didn't even look like a PH. Dragon may update us on that.

I think those are the only 2 Veteran related tags we have here.

Packo

Seascamp
07-08-2002, 06:33 AM
In Nevada Vet plates cost $61.00 the first time then $30.00 per year extra thereafter. The extra $30.00 goes to the VA, or so it is said. Selection is limited to branch of service with appropriate symbol, Purple Heart recognition and things of that nature. A DD214 is required in all cases.

Scamp

Andy
07-08-2002, 07:38 AM
In Massachusetts number of plates are available.
CMO - DSM - DSC - POW are free.
Disabled Vet - Purple Heart are free if your 70% or more.

Purple Heart (under 70%) Silver Star, Bronze Star, Vet (with branch of service) are all Vanity plates unless you are in one of the top two catigories and have a second car registered in your name.

Regular plates are $40 per year, Vanity plates are $75. However number plates like just about everything else are going up next year, cigaretts for example will be $5.00 a pack.

Friend of mine from the 4/23rd Mech Infantry and his wife just spent the weekend here. Duff drove from Mo. He had Purple Heart plates and said he had to pay for them - no extra charge but no break either.

(It was sort of an embarrassing. Duff drank all my rum and liquor stores are closed on Sundays {old Blue Laws}, so I had to let him break open a bottle of Courvoisier. It was sad seeing that bottle empty this morning.)

Stay healthy,
Andy

Drywall
07-08-2002, 10:31 AM
WWII, Korea, Vietnam and DS all with service ribbons in full color.

PH, Ex-pow and Pearl Harbor.

It's ten bucks a years extra for the first four. Don't know how much for the others. You have to send a copy of your DD214 to get them.

Oh yeah, there are also some with NG and Ready Reserve on them.

The PH plate has a Purple Heart Medal and the words "Combat Wounded" with purple letters on it. They look real good.

DMZ-LT
07-08-2002, 10:53 AM
What Little John said about tags in GA. Also in GA you have to renew your drivers licence every 4 years at a cost of 7 bucks. Not sure if it's cause I am a vet or a 40 % disabled vet but they waive this fee and stamp "vet" on my licience

Packo
07-08-2002, 11:31 AM
You'd better have another bought by Friday. VSOP if you please. (of course if you can afford XO.........)

Packo

Sgt_Tropo
07-08-2002, 01:58 PM
Texas has plates for WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Deseert Storm, etc. They cost $5.43 cents a year, unless you want to "personalize" them, then it's $40 the 1st year and $30 a year after that. You need to show proof (DD214) that you actually served "in country" to get the plates. There is also a plate for PH, MoH, POW, and others. You certainly don't see the V'Nam plates as much as you do the PH plates. Wonder why ? ne reason is that the TxDoT doesn't activly promote these because they lose the high tax revenue they could get on the "regular" plates.

Go for it, dude !:p I got mine on order.

sfc_darrel
07-08-2002, 07:16 PM
NNS020703-15. New Virginia License Plate Exhorts Citizens to 'Fight Terrorism'

By Gerry J. Gilmore, American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON (NNS) -- Virginians soon will be able to sport vehicle license plates bearing a Pentagon-shaped logo and the words "Fight Terrorism" emblazoned in red letters in
remembrance of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on America.

The first plates are slated for delivery by the one-year anniversary of the attacks in New York, Virginia and
Pennsylvania, said Virginia House of Delegates representative Bob Hull today at an outdoor unveiling ceremony near the Pentagon.

Hull sponsored the state legislation creating the license plates. He noted Virginians could obtain the new plates as way to show solidarity for the first responders who came to help in the wake of the attacks, to remember victims and to demonstrate "a national effort to resist this type of thing from ever happening again."

The Pentagon logo on the plates features an American flag and employs a silhouette of the New York World Trade Center's Twin Towers to form the "11" of the date of the attacks. The
plates also commemorate the terrorist assault aboard the hijacked airliner that crashed into a Pennsylvania field.

Arlington County Chief of Police Edward A. Flynn said the logo was discovered among items the public left as part of an informal memorial erected near the damaged Pentagon as police processed evidence in the days just after the attack.

The Arlington police were impressed with the logo's "simplicity and power to evoke those terrible days," Flynn said.

The police wanted to adopt the logo. After much searching, they discovered the logo's designer, a Texan named David Paranteau, who gave them permission to use it for charitable fund-raising, Flynn said.

So the policemen decided to produce lapel pins, T-shirts and decals featuring the design for sale, he said, with proceeds earmarked for Sept. 11-related charities.

The license plates can be ordered now at Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles offices or online at ww.dmvnow.com. A "vanity-plate" version costs $20, $10 more than the standard version, while a non-vehicle souvenir plate is $10.

Andy
07-08-2002, 09:04 PM
A drivers license for 4 years and it cost $7.00? Are you kidding me!?! It was $15.00 for a 4 year license in 1964!!!! Do you guys get all your money from writing out of state, as in Northern cars, tickets for doing 26 in a 25 MPH zone just off the interstate? Do we have to pay everyone's tax???

Well, we have something called the Big Dig. It's a tunnel from down town Boston (off of Ted Williams Drive), to Logan airport. The Federal Govt. agreed to pay 85%. The original cost was 2 Billion dollars. So far they've spent 14.2 Billion and there are leaks. We are thinking of only letting out of towner's use the thing. Keep working - Keep paying those federal taxes, we don't loose!

XO - HAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR. Acme cognac and you'll like it.

Stay healthy,
Andy

SuperScout
07-09-2002, 05:05 AM
Let's see if we have this right: you yankees are building an over-priced tunnel under water, it leaks severely, and you want us folks of the genteel persuation to drive through it? Um-hmm.

BTW: my Purple Heart license plates cost all of $4.00 to renew each year. And we get to park free at parking meters!!:D

Andy
07-09-2002, 09:34 AM
I just don?t think you understand how things work up here. The first fully funded Federal road was the Boston Post Road. Building began under President John Q. Adams in 1827. The Boston Post is due to be completed next November - baring any unforeseen delays. Rt. 90 in this state is seen by the folks in Boston as such a nice road (only one that is straight) that you have to pay to ride on it. Same is true for most bridges and we have a lot of rivers. Of course sometimes bridges are built even if there is no river. Yes, out of Towner?s are supposed to use the Big Dig Tunnel, Whitey Bulger, the head of the Irish Mafia, who?s brother was the Speaker of the House in Mass. Until 2 years ago, sold all the cement to the construction companies. The Mob has made so much money on this they got out of the prostitution racket!

Parking meters: If your not driving a police car, an ambulance or Fire truck the fine is anywhere from $25.00 to $150.00 per violation. (However, by law, there are handicapped spaces all over the place.)

Getting back to number plates, I was told last night that a person can also get a branch of service plate, which is a vanity plate and costs $75.00. Can?t get a Division, ship or the like but if you want it to say Army with the Seal on it, you can have one.
Hope this clears things up.

Stay healthy,
Andy
PS: I?ve only flown out of Logan airport once in my life, that was enough. We use Hartford -Springfield (Bradley Airport), at least there no one steals your hub caps while the car is moving.

frisco-kid
07-09-2002, 04:11 PM
CA doesn't offer a Silver Star or Bronze Star Medal plate. The awards plates are MOH, DSC, Navy Cross, and Air Force Cross. Also Purple Heart.

There is also a Disabled Veteran plate available. Must be rated 100% and be service connected. The plate is free and allows you unlimited time at parking meters and handicap spaces. The PH plate gives the same priveledge for parking meters. Also a Pearl Harbor Survivor and POW plate available.

The regular Veterans Plate has a WHOPPING 118 different logos available for it. All branch insignias, most division [Army and Marine] insignias, CIB, Gold Star Mother, etc., etc.. Also many organization logos including VFW, DAV, VVA, Iwo Jima Survivors, Pilot Assocs, and on and on.

DMZ-LT
07-09-2002, 05:01 PM
Hey , Andy. Taxes were part of the reason I never considered going back to NJ. But they get you here too, new road kill tax going into effect Tue.

Timothy R. Kuhr
07-09-2002, 10:57 PM
is a roadkill tax? Do they chase you down for every possum you run over? Hell, they could put that in place in Texas and Arkansas for armadillos and wipe out the national debt!

Sgt_Tropo
07-10-2002, 11:55 AM
That Armidillos are sinply the armored cav division of the Possum Brigade ?!? :D

The national debt could be cleared up real quick, by simply stopping the funding of the UN giveaways ! :mad:

frisco-kid
08-08-2002, 05:29 PM
This afternoon I was parked in downtown Palo Alto [home of Stanford University] while I visited a used bookstore that I hadn't been to for awhile. As I approached my car when I was done, I notice something placed under my wiper blade. Damn! Did I get a ticket? As I get closer, I see that it's a piece of paper. Damned solicitors!. When I get to the car, I take it off and read it. It's a hand-written note.

"THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY. THERE WERE MANY OF US THAT WERE/ARE PROUD OF ALL OF YOU"

Well, pretty much made my day. Great to hear that once-in-awhile. Since I got my plates for Father's Day, I've had several people give me a "Thumbs Up."

Beau
08-08-2002, 05:56 PM
You deserve such a note and more --- like free custom plates with proof of Service.

Packo
08-09-2002, 07:27 AM
What a great story! Just don't park it in Berkley. Just kidding, just kidding.....(don't want James to write a ten page doctrine on parking in Berkley)

Those are the types of things that make you even prouder to have served and served in the AIRBORNE!

Packy

SEATJERKER
08-09-2002, 08:10 AM
...I think James took his keyboard, and went home, after reading Paco's post, but scrolled up to see Griz's post, and a smile crept in...
...yes a post like that is nice to see, and I'm sure it made your day if not more,...
...I think the idea of openly saying "thank You to a Veteran" is moored as the general public is too self consciences to admit their shame is the treatment of the Vet's since the Vietnam war,...
... but what I do see since the truth's have been coming to light in the last 30 years is that the majority of the men, and women that served in Vietnam were just doing what their Nation called them to due, and like preceeding "wars" they went, and served, but only to return to a Nation that cast them aside, BUT now since 9/11, a new light has been cast upon the "soldier/ Veteran, and policemen, and firefighters,emt's etc is that the flame still burns for patriotism deep down and it's cracking it's shell, and will fly again...
...Areatha said it, SANG IT, and it's "R-E-S-P-E-C-T",... LONG OVERDUE, ...
... I think the public now fully understands what it is like to be attacked literally, and what the value of our fighting men, PAST, and present are worth...
...I received my plates a few weeks ago, and have noticed people back off a little bit when approaching from the rear, and a few tip their cap so to speak, but I see so many different ones poping up, where as before we were all hidden.................

1CAVCCO15MED
08-12-2002, 01:31 PM
I got my disabled vet tag last week. The woman at the window insisted I get the one with the handicapped wheelchair on it. She said since I was 100% disabled that was the one for me. If you look at the back of my Explorer you will see my handicapped plate just below my Appalachian Trail sticker. I guess this allows me to park in the handicapped spots at the trailheads. :mm:

phuloi
08-12-2002, 05:09 PM
Now THAT`S an irony!

phuloi
08-12-2002, 05:19 PM
I was in a local eatery with(was it you,Sis..or mabe it was my daughter..Shit! I can`t remember) and the young lad waiting on us noticed my hat and shook my hand and thanked me for my service as we were leaving.Brought a tear to my eye.I guess there`s a first time for everything.Welcome Home!