PDA

View Full Version : Hazardous Duty Pay

frisco-kid
09-24-2003, 06:40 PM
Better known as COMBAT PAY. The years that I served in-country, '66, '67, '68, this was an additional $65/month. Big money to an E-3 or E-4 back then. I assume all branches of the service received the same amount. How about you sailors, though. Did you get this pay if you didn't come ashore? If you did, did you have to be within so many miles of the coast? What about you Air Force guys in Thailand, where most of our bombers and fighters flew out of? Did this stay at $65 until the end, or was there a raise after I got out?

Did you guys in Desert Storm get Combat Pay? If so, how much? How about the guys in Iraq and Afghanistan?

catman
09-24-2003, 07:08 PM
Tom...we did receive it in 91, damned if I can remember the amount, seems like it was around $100 per month but I may but may be wrong.

Trav

reeb
09-25-2003, 03:51 AM
If I remember, we on board ship in 65 got it, but I cant remember how much, but it does seem we had to be within the danger zone. Then in 66 I went on shore and got it then, plus flight pay, and believe it or not I was sent TAD to Sangley Point in the Phillippines for two months and still received the Combat Pay, Flight Pay, and even TAD pay.

enough..........

Seascamp
09-25-2003, 10:52 AM
Tom,
To my knowledge, the hazardous duty pay deal was across the board and was more a DOD thing than a branch of service thing. I had the impression it was a line on a map deal and those inside the perimeter got the pay and others not. Exceptions to the line rule were the aircrews flying out of Thailand and perhaps Guam and maybe others coming and going as part of an assigned duty. This is right from the horses mouth and biker buddy (former USAF air crewman flying targeting missions out of Thailand). They got $50 a month flight pay and another $50 a month hazardous duty pay if and only if they crossed the Vietnamese border; north or south, at least once a month. Now the paradox of it all was that they were continually shot at while over Laos but had to vector over the VN border to get their hazardous duty payday. Apparently the reasoning was that they weren?t supposed to be over Laos, etc. I can see where the rules and exceptions could get very complicated and become a complete soup sandwich if things weren?t kept relatively simple so the line on a map scenario makes sense to me, almost.

Scamp

Sgt_Tropo
09-25-2003, 01:57 PM
I seem to remember reading a post here not too long ago, which included the statement that the "Hazardous Duty" pay was now up to $150 per month. Heck, that's more than I made a month for the first 18 months I was in.

reeb
09-25-2003, 04:03 PM
Try This,

Click onto google,
then type in
militarypaychart

Quite a bit of info there.

enough......

frisco-kid
09-25-2003, 05:23 PM
for filling in the blanks for me. I'm glad to hear that you folks in Desert Storm were compensated like we were for being in harm's way. Also, those now serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. Seems to have more than doubled since Nam, but still not in line with the inflation since then :D .

Sgt. Tropo, that's a true story about our pay back then. When I was drawing the $55 jump pay AND the $65 combat pay, I was getting paid pretty good compared to my rank equivelents back in CONUS. Especially if they weren't Airborne. Too bad I didn't get an opportunity to enjoy it much in Nam :( . Did live LARGE on R&R in the Phillippines, though :xx: