PDA

View Full Version : The man who knew.

Gimpy
02-06-2004, 05:27 AM
THE MAN WHO KNEW!
(CBS) Feb. 3, 2004

Just yesterday, Secretary of State Colin Powell made a surprising admission.

He told The Washington Post that he doesn't know whether he would have recommended the invasion of Iraq if he had been told at the time that there were no stockpiles of banned weapons.

Powell said that when he made the case for war before the United Nations one year ago, he used evidence that reflected the best judgments of the intelligence agencies.

But long before the war started, there was plenty of doubt among intelligence analysts about Saddam's weapons.

One analyst, Greg Thielmann, told Correspondent Scott Pelley last fall that key evidence cited by the administration was misrepresented to the public.

Thielmann should know. He had been in charge of analyzing the Iraqi weapons threat for Powell's own intelligence bureau.

?I had a couple of initial reactions. Then I had a more mature reaction,? says Thielmann, commenting on Powell's presentation to the United Nations last February.

?I think my conclusion now is that it's probably one of the low points in his long, distinguished service to the nation."

Thielmann was a foreign service officer for 25 years. His last job at the State Department was acting director of the Office of Strategic Proliferation and Military Affairs, which was responsible for analyzing the Iraqi weapons threat.

He and his staff had the highest security clearances, and saw virtually everything ? whether it came into the CIA or the Defense Department.

Thielmann was admired at the State Department. One high-ranking official called him honorable, knowledgeable, and very experienced. Thielmann had planned to retire just four months before Powell?s big moment before the U.N. Security Council.

On Feb. 5, 2003, Secretary Powell presented evidence against Saddam:
?The gravity of this moment is matched by the gravity of the threat that Iraq?s weapons of mass destruction pose to the world."

At the time, Thielmann says that Iraq didn't pose an imminent threat to the U.S.: ?I think it didn't even constitute an imminent threat to its neighbors at the time we went to war.?

And Thielmann says that's what the intelligence really showed. For example, he points to the evidence behind Powell?s charge that Iraq was importing aluminum tubes to use in a program to build nuclear weapons.

Powell said: ?Saddam Hussein is determined to get his hands on a nuclear bomb. He is so determined that he has made repeated covert attempts to acquire high-specification aluminum tubes from 11 different countries even after inspections resumed.?

?This is one of the most disturbing parts of Secretary Powell's speech for us,? says Thielmann.

Intelligence agents intercepted the tubes in 2001, and the CIA said they were parts for a centrifuge to enrich uranium -- fuel for an atom bomb. But Thielmann wasn?t so sure.

Experts at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory, the scientists who enriched uranium for American bombs, advised that the tubes were all wrong for a bomb program. At about the same time, Thielmann?s office was working on another explanation. It turned out the tubes' dimensions perfectly matched an Iraqi conventional rocket.

?The aluminum was exactly, I think, what the Iraqis wanted for artillery,? recalls Thielmann, who says he sent that word up to the Secretary of State months before.

Houston Wood was a consultant who worked on the Oak Ridge analysis of the tubes. He watched Powell?s speech, too.

?I guess I was angry, that?s the best way to describe my emotions. I was angry at that,? says Wood, who is among the world?s authorities on uranium enrichment by centrifuge. He found the tubes couldn?t be what the CIA thought they were. They were too heavy, three times too thick and certain to leak.

"Wasn't going to work. They would have failed," says Wood, who reached that conclusion back in 2001.

Thielmann reported to Secretary Powell?s office that they were confident the tubes were not for a nuclear program. Then, about a year later, when the administration was building a case for war, the tubes were resurrected on the front page of The New York Times.

?I thought when I read that there must be some other tubes that people were talking about. I just was flabbergasted that people were still pushing that those might be centrifuges,? says Wood.

The New York Times reported that senior administration officials insisted the tubes were for an atom-bomb program.

?Science was not pushing this forward. Scientists had made their determination, their evaluation, and now we didn?t know what was happening,? says Wood.

In his U.N. speech, Secretary Powell acknowledged there was disagreement about the tubes, but he said most experts agreed with the nuclear theory.

?There is controversy about what these tubes are for. Most U.S. experts think they are intended to serve as rotors in centrifuges used to enrich uranium,? said Powell.

?Most experts are located at Oak Ridge and that was not the position there,? says Wood, who claims he doesn?t know anyone in academia or foreign government who would disagree with his appraisal. ?I don?t know a single one anywhere.?

Why would the secretary take the information that Thielmann?s intelligence bureau had developed and turn it on its head?

?I can only assume that he was doing it to loyally support the President of the United States and build the strongest possible case for arguing that there was no alternative to the use of military force,? says Thielmann.

That was a case the president himself was making only eight days before Secretary Powell's speech. In his State of the Union address, the president said: ?The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa. Our intelligence sources tell us that he has attempted to purchase high-strength aluminum tubes suitable for nuclear-weapons production.?

After the war, the White House said the African uranium claim was false and shouldn?t have been in the president's address. But at the time, it was part of a campaign that painted the intelligence as irrefutable.

?There is no doubt that Saddam Hussein now has weapons of mass destruction. There is no doubt he is amassing them to use against our friends, against our allies, and against us,? said Vice President Dick Cheney.

Powell said: ?My colleagues, every statement I make today is backed up by sources, solid sources. These are not assertions. What we are giving you are facts and conclusions based on solid intelligence."

It was solid intelligence, Powell said, that proved Saddam had amassed chemical and biological weapons: ?Our conservative estimate is that Iraq today has a stockpile of between 100 and 500 tons of chemical-weapons agent.?

He also said that part of the stockpile was clearly in these bunkers: ?The four that are in red squares represent active chemical munitions bunkers. How do I know that, how can I say that? Let me give you a closer look.?

Up close, Powell said you could see a truck for cleaning up chemical spills, a signature for a chemical bunker: ?It?s a decontamination vehicle in case something goes wrong.?

But Thielmann disagreed with Powell's statement: ?My understanding is that these particular vehicles were simply fire trucks. You cannot really describe as being a unique signature.?

Satellite photos were also notoriously misleading, according to Steve Allinson, a U.N. inspector in Iraq in the months leading up to war.

Was there ever a time when American satellite intelligence provided Allinson with something that was truly useful?

?No. No, not to me. Not on inspections that I participated in,? says Allinson, whose team was sent to find decontamination vehicles that turned out to be fire trucks.

Another time, a satellite spotted what they thought were trucks used for biological weapons.

?We were told we were going to the site to look for refrigerated trucks specifically linked to biological agents,? says Allinson. ?We found 7 or 8 of them, I think, in total. And they had cobwebs in them. Some samples were taken and nothing was found.?

If Allinson doubted the satellite evidence, Thielmann watched with worry as Secretary Powell told the Security Council that human intelligence provided conclusive proof.

Thielmann says that many of the human sources were defectors who came forward with an ax to grind. But how reliable was the defector information they received?

?I guess I would say, frequently we got bad information,? says Thielmann.

Some of it came from defectors supplied by the Iraqi National Congress, the leading exile group headed by Ahmed Chalabi.

?You had the Iraqi National Congress with a clear motive for presenting the worst possible picture of what was happening in Iraq to the American government,? says Thielmann.

But there was a good deal more in Secretary Powell?s speech that bothered the analysts. Powell claimed Saddam still had a few dozen Scud missiles.

?I wondered what he was talking about,? says Thielmann. ?We did not have evidence that the Iraqis had those missiles, pure and simple.?

Last week, David Kay, the former chief U.S. arms inspector, said his team found no stockpiles of banned weapons. His assessment of 12 years of U.S. intelligence was this: "Let me begin by saying we were almost all wrong and I certainly include myself here. ... My view was that the best evidence that I had seen was that Iraq indeed had weapons of mass destruction."

Secretary Powell declined an interview for this broadcast. But as 60 Minutes II mentioned earlier, Powell told The Washington Post this week that he doesn't know if he would have recommended invasion if he'd know then that there were no stockpiles of weapons.

But Tuesday, he added this: "The bottom line is this. The president made the right decision. He made the right decision based on the history of this regime, the intention that this terrible leader, terrible despotic leader had the capabilities on a variety of levels. The delivery systems there were there, and nobody's debating that, the infrastructure that was there, the technical know-how that was there. The only thing we are debating are the stockpiles."

Thursday marks one year since Secretary Powell's U.N. speech. In that time, Thielmann has come to his own conclusion about the presentation. He believes the decision to go to war was made - and intelligence was interpreted to fit that conclusion.

"There's plenty of blame to go around. The main problem was that the senior administration officials have what I call faith-based intelligence. They knew what they wanted the intelligence to show," says Thielmann.

"They were really blind and deaf to any kind of countervailing information the intelligence community would produce. I would assign some blame to the intelligence community and most of the blame to the senior administration officials."

This week, President Bush said an independent commission will investigate the intelligence failures on Iraq.

###

A little late........don't you think??

:md: :md:

Doc.2/47
02-06-2004, 07:43 AM
Nope,I don't think so.
WMD's have always been a relatively unimportant side issue.
Wasn't WMD's that were used on the WTC.

MORTARDUDE
02-06-2004, 08:19 AM
Hal :

Could you look in the faces of the friends and relatives of the 500+ troops who have been killed in Iraq and tell them that WMDs are "relatively unimportant side issue" ? I couldn't. No flaming intended. I guess it depends on your perspective..

Larry

Gimpy
02-06-2004, 08:56 AM
OK Hal, let's look at it this way then.

For more than a year, Bush has framed Iraq as part of the "war on terror."

And for more than a year, he has produced no evidence for that claim. No evidence of a link between Iraq and 9/11. No evidence of an affinity between Saddam Hussein's secular tyranny and the fundamentalists of al-Qaida. No evidence of a terrorist presence in Iraq greater than in other Arab or Muslim countries. No evidence that Iraq offered weapons of mass destruction to terrorists.

The Bush administration's preemptive war policy, wherein he claims the right to overthrow any government suspected of being a danger to the US, goes against international law, specifically the UN Charter, which prohibits one country from attacking another unless under imminent threat of invasion.

And yet, when confronted with his misrepresentations about Iraq's weapons, rather than take the blame, Bush started pointing fingers. His loyal Republicans (like George Tenet) began to fall on their swords, but most Americans have seen through the charade; they know where the buck stops.

George Bush went to war in Iraq in spite of the will of the people. According to a CBS News poll before the war, "Americans were willing to wait for that approval:..... a majority wanted Congress to wait until the U.N. had acted before voting on a resolution authorizing military action against Iraq, even if that would take longer than the few weeks in which the administration wanted action.

And like another fellow said recently "The overriding predicate for going to war with Iraq began and ended on the issue of weapons of mass destruction.

It was the mantra blathered by every senior member of the Bush administration on the Sunday talk shows, in speeches, including the State of Union address (remember the Niger nuclear gibberish) and before the United Nations.

And now these Heritage Foundation frat boys and their friends at the Project For The New American Century want you to believe that for all their patronizing hubris, they were led astray by CIA career paper pushers? Don't think so!

How comforting it must be for the families of the U.S. service personnel who have died in Iraq to know that their loved ones gave their lives because the president and his top advisers were led like lemmings into war." End quote!

#################################

Doc.2/47
02-06-2004, 05:55 PM
Larry,

I absolutely believe that our boys that have died in Iraq have done so protecting American citizens from death,injury,and distruction at the hands of terrorists.I do not believe that our not finding WMD's-so far- in any way detracts from the value or importance of their sacrifice.I believe that SH and Co. presented a clear and present danger to the people of this nation irregardless of any questions concerning WMD's or any ties to al-quiada and that 10+ yrs. is way too long to be involved in a conflict without seeking a seccessful resolution.I would be very surprised if family and friends of our dead soldiers have bought into(what I consider) the blatant propaganda stateing that this conflict was ONLY about WMD's or any other side issue and that if they have, they certainly deserve an opportunity to hear (what I consider) the truth which honors rather than belittles their loved one.Guess this is the long way of saying:No,Larry,it would not bother me to remind the family and friends of our dead soldiers that WMD's is a side issue that some folks seem determined to use to belittle the importance of the efforts and sacrifices of our soldiers.

Doc.2/47
02-06-2004, 06:56 PM
Gimp,

There is plenty of evidence that:
1.Saddam Hussain and his ruleing faction were terrorists.
2.We declared war on terrorism.(was on TV and in all the papers)
3.We have been involved in armed conflict with Iraq ever since shortly after it invaded it's neighbor back in 1991.

The above is not only sufficient evidence to justify but to require our actions in Iraq.

I'll not argue with your comments concerning our Nations pre-emtive war policy.They may be correct and might apply to our actions in Afganistan.

Our lastest round of conflict in Iraq was by no means "Bush's war"(unless perhaps you're refering to Bush Sr.)because it is just the latest chapter of a long ongoing conflict that started when SH invaded it's southern neighbor.It was also not pre-emptive for the same reason.Most folks would consider bombing the fool out of another nation's capital city an obvious act of war.One of the quotations that you posted(several times)stated that Gen. Zinni(sp?)did that very thing back in '98.Does that make it Zinni's or Clinton's war?

"According to a CBS News poll..."that poll concerns timeing NOT weather or not to go into Iraq so your statement that the American people did not support the war remains unsupported.The truth of the matter is that there were dozens of polls that showed that the American people overwhelming supported both the declaration of the war on terrorism and the President's handling of the war.I'm not aware of a single one in which there was not a majority in support.

Gimpy
02-07-2004, 04:45 AM
dog won't hunt Doc!

Show me the "evidence" that supports YOUR "opinions"............according to the international community and for all intents and purposes even the American people (according to that CBS poll and others) disagree with you.

Now I'm talkng about irrefutable, professionally qualified and accepted conclusive evidence to support your "contentions"...not just YOUR OPINION!

My evidence is supported by DOCUMENTED, IRREFUTABLE and CONCLUSIVE FACTS!

Yours is mere supposition based on YOUR biased interpretation of what you THINK! We (the USA) didn't have an "on-going" war with Iraq since 1991 for Gods sakes. This is well documented in several official governmental and United Nations cease fire and other treaties that prove this point. There is absolutely NO legitimacy whatsoever to this arguement. Neither is there any to your others as well.

Your arguement about General Zinni is absolutely ridiculous. This was NOT a full scale military INVASION of Iraq. Hell, he even EXPLAINED his "actions" in the evidence I've posted.

Surely a hell of a lot more than YOUR nonsense of an arguement.

PS......Those "polls" that you mentioned that show "support" for the war in Iraq WERE based and STILL are based on the FOUR ITEMS THAT HAVE YET TO BE PROVED............

. No evidence of an affinity between Saddam Hussein's secular tyranny and the fundamentalists of al-Qaida.

No evidence of a terrorist presence in Iraq greater than in other Arab or Muslim countries.

No evidence that Iraq offered weapons of mass destruction to terrorists.

No evidence of a link between Iraq and 9/11

SuperScout
02-07-2004, 05:36 AM
"One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to develop weapons of mass destruction and the
missiles to deliver them. That is our bottom line."
President Clinton, Feb. 4, 1998

"If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program."
President Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998

"Iraq is a long way from [the USA], but what happens there matters a great deal here. For the risks that the leaders of a
rogue state will use nuclear, chemical or biological weapons against us or our allies is the greatest security threat we face."
Madeline Albright, Feb 18, 1998

"He will use those weapons of mass destruction again, as he has ten times since 1983."
Sandy Berger, Clinton National Security Adviser, Feb, 18, 1998

"[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the U.S. Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs."
Letter to President Clinton, signed by Sens. Carl Levin, Tom Daschle, John Kerry, and others Oct. 9, 1998

"Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to
countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."
Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998

"Hussein has ... chosen to spend his money on building weapons of mass destruction and palaces for his cronies."
Madeline Albright, Clinton Secretary of State, Nov. 10, 1999

"There is no doubt that ... Saddam Hussein has invigorated his weapons programs. Reports indicate that biological, chemical and nuclear programs continue apace and may be back to pre-Gulf War status. In addition, Saddam continues to redefine delivery systems and is doubtless using the cover of a licit missile program to develop longer-range missiles that will threaten the United States and our allies."
Letter to President Bush, Signed by Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL,) and others, December 5, 2001

"We begin with the common belief that Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and a threat to the peace and stability of the region. He has ignored the mandated of the United Nations and is building
weapons of mass destruction and the means of delivering them."
Sen. Carl Levin (D, MI), Sept. 19, 2002

"We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country."
Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

"Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power."
Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction."
Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002

"The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October of 1998. We are confident that Saddam Hussein retains some stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons, and that he has since embarked on a crash course to build up his chemical and biological warfare capabilities. Intelligence reports indicate that he is seeking nuclear weapons..."
Sen. Robert Byrd (D, WV), Oct. 3, 2002

"I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority to use force-- if necessary-- to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass
destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security."
Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9, 2002

"There is unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is working aggressively to develop nuclear weapons and will likely have
nuclear weapons within the next five years ... We also should remember we have always underestimated the progress Saddam has made in development of weapons of mass destruction."
Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D, WV), Oct 10, 2002

"He has systematically violated, over the course of the past 11 years, every significant UN resolution that has demanded that he disarm and destroy his chemical and biological weapons, and any
nuclear capacity. This he has refused to do."
Rep. Henry Waxman (D, CA), Oct. 10, 2002

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al Qaeda members .. It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare,
and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons."
Sen. Hillary Clinton (D, NY), Oct 10, 2002

"We are in possession of what I think to be compelling evidence that Saddam Hussein has, and has had for a number of years,
a developing capacity for the production and storage of weapons of mass destruction."
Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL), Dec. 8, 2002

"Without question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime ... He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so
consistently prone to miscalculation ... And now he is miscalculating America's response to his continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction.... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real..."
Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23. 2003

If the President acted on what might turn out to be faulty intelligence, and is therefore accused of lying, can we not say the exact same thing about the above named senators, President, Secretary of State and other officials? Are you going to accuse all the luminaries in the Democrat party of lying now?

Pulbic opinion polls demonstrated overwhelming support for our going to war in the first place, therefore, one might reasonably argue that the President was in fact doing the "will of the people." Instead of using the "wet finger in the wind" methodology of conducting the nation's business, I believe that the President acted in the nation's best interest, delivering on his Constitutional responsibilities.

Proof has been found that definitely links SH with AlQaeda; the administration never did blame SH for the attacks of 9-11.
Failure to admit that is simply perpetuating a myth.

Treaties with Iraq? What treaties were we the signatories on with Iraq? UN cease fire? When was the UN involved in a live-fire with Iraq? What are you talking about? What's the difference between applying any of the multiple sanctions imposed by the UN, which frequently called for the use of force, and the so-called "pre-emptive" action the coalition forces took? The toothless hag that is the UN talked big, but repeatedly failed to act on its own edicts. All hat, and no cows!

If a scientist at Oak Ridge Labs was taking issue with some of the assertions that SoS Colin Powell was making in his UN speech, he might need reminding that not all our initial efforts at the development of nuclear weaponry were successful. Through trial and error, we finally succeeded in what was ultimately tested in New Mexico. The Iraqi nuclear weapon development program was destined to make mistakes, but also likely to succeed, given enough time, which by the Grace of superior firepower, we denied them.

Doc.2/47
02-07-2004, 03:51 PM
Gosh Gimp,from where I sit it appears that that ole hound hunts just fine;cold trails,bawls to scent and sight,and-if I'm not just real mistook-that there is several of your points danglin from the top limbs of the tree he's bayin at.

Lets see if I got what you're sayin right.You don't figger that bombin hell out of somebody counts as an act of war unless it's accompanied by a ground assualt?If that's the way you're thinkin, I guess you'd reckon that FDR and most of the folks in this country got way too excited when the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor.They didn't realize that the Japs was just funnin,right?

I can't claim to know for a fact WHY folks vote the way they do on polls.Don't believe that you can either.

Far as I'm concerned the whole WMD's flap was only an issue when we had reason to worry that they might be used against our troops or mainland.Now that we have captured the country and SH, there is little chance that they are going to be used so the issue has little interest to me.I understand that folks that feel that they've been lied to want to present whatever evidence they can in an effort to vote the President out.That seems valid to me so y'all knock yourselves out.Not really interested myself.

At this point in time there is no posible way to PROVE weather SH had WMD's or not or if President Bush lied or not.

Do you really need additional proof that SH and Co. were terrorists?

Do you really need additional proof that we declaired war on terrorism?

What do you feel like you need proof of?Thought most of what I had to say was common knowledge.

BLUEHAWK
02-08-2004, 05:27 AM
In war (my opinion) American history shows it is far better, more expedient if nothing else, more protective and supportive to the fighters to stick with the CINC, whomever that person may be at the time. In our manner of governance, this usually means his/her parentage and intelligence are severely analyzed beginning somewhere right about in the middle of a four-year tenure... with the full understanding of all partisans that there can be no tenure longer than 8 years at most.

There are those who claim that a given CINC can totally destroy America. In time of relative peace (which is, I have been informed, something on the worldwide order of 4 years in the last 5000 years) even ill-natured carping about the CINC is more or less harmless, usually. All top managers do stupid things, get bad advice and follow it, have bad days, and cannot control or even faultlessly guide everything there is that needs to be controlled.

To their everlasting credit and honor, the American military under William Jefferson Clinton followed his command, as they are today under a CINC whom they appear to deeply respect. For their sake, stick with the CINC.

Andy
02-08-2004, 09:24 AM
Gimp: Of course S.H. had weapons of mass destruction. The State Department still has the receipts. Please, whatever you do, don?t sit down with a bunch of Kurds and tell them S.H. didn?t have weapons of mass destruction. They might get really upset.

Yesterday a seven pound block of poison was found in Iraq. You only need about a ? oz. per gallon to make this stuff into a very deadly very usable poison. Yes, in the whole scheme of things that?s not a lot but give me a year to hide 1,000 pounds of anything somewhere in New England and take it to the bank, you?ll never find it.

Now that guy who said his personal analyst of the situation was that Iraq didn?t have the weapons that the French and Germans and Russians knew he had. He retired after 25 years. So that would mean he was hired by Carter. Could he have his own political agenda?

Iraq and Syria have been working hand and glove for at least two decades. There is or was constant truck traffic from one country to the other. Could Saddam have moved some of his stock piles over the boarder? Could you haul a bunch of fish from Florida to Georgia?

Now you might be, in large part, right. But we can?t get away from the fact that most major powers agreed that Saddam had illegal weapons. The issue was, what should we do about them.

Russia has a war going on with Muslims and that seems to be all they can handle. The French have a Muslim population of 5 million who they are worried about. Germany imports cheap labor from Turkey and other middle eastern countries and there is a lot of tension there. They all had reasons to avoid being aggressive, another way of saying they didn?t have the stones.

Saddam?s weapons, who killed Jack Kennedy, why don?t UFO?s land at Yankee Stadium during a game, who killed Martin L. King, did FDR know Pearl Harbor was going to be bombed? For that matter why does Hollywood hate white southern men? People will have fun with these for years to come. Sometimes there is no easy answer.

Stay healthy,
Andy

reconeil
02-09-2004, 12:22 PM
Loved your: "Some Direct Quotes", since some truths amongst all the prevalent BS which surrounds politics in general, and even despicably during wartime,...makes such even more refreshing than such would normally be. Wish Republicans or Conservatives on TV were as openly honest about things as you. But, "They" must be: "Civil",...as the non-"Civil" Dems and Press/Media so decree.

Still, and even though despising politics especially during wartime,...I'm looking forward to a response of your very informative: "Some Direct Quotes" from; "Our distinguished collegue from the other side of The Aisle"(political speak) and/or Liberal/Leftist/Dem (my speak) or thread starter.

It should be a-beaut, considering that you dared quote The Best President, Best Commander-In-Chief and Best Warrior in history :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D and Gimpy must try to defend one of his top political god's words.

But then, and since defending the indefensible so often,...I guess that Gimpy will do a fairly good job at it. Just hope "It" isn't too long.

Neil :d: :b:

reconeil
02-11-2004, 09:58 AM
Regarding your: "Some Direct Quotes" I guess I was wrong,... since apparently even Gimpy can't rightfully defend the absurd and indefensible (what Dems normally do) THIS TIME. Your honest historical accounts of things make doing so just too-damn-difficult.

Still SS,...I would have loved reading "His" or ANY Dem's stab at or excusing (what Dems do best) of unarguable truths which place Dems in a bad light. But,...se la vi, and tomorrow's another day.

Neil :d: :b:

Gimpy
02-11-2004, 12:51 PM
Just because i've been gone for a few days don't mean that I can't identify a RAT when I see one!

The "direct quotes" mentioned by SS....... has ABSOLUTELY NO BEARING on the original CBS...60 Minutes II report whatsoever! All I see is "quotes".............WHERE......I REPEAT ......WHERE is the EVIDENCE!

Like the man SAID..................THERE AIN'T NONE!

IT STILL DON"T HUNT!

:md: :cd: :d:

SuperScout
02-11-2004, 12:58 PM
So if there was no evidence of WMD, as alleged by some, what did the speakers of the previously mentioned statements base their statements on? They all said that WMD existed, so are you now prepared to call Clinton, Kerry, Allbright, Gore, Berger, etc etc etc all liars? You can't have it both ways, try as you might.

SparrowHawk62
02-11-2004, 01:28 PM
Think= Thought hindered in not knowing!

BLUEHAWK
02-11-2004, 02:03 PM
"Softly sweet, in Lydian measures,
Soon he sooth'd his soul to pleasures.
War, he sung, is toil and trouble;
Humour but an empty bubble.
Never ending, still beginning,
Fighting still, and still destroying,
If the world be worth thy winning,