PDA

View Full Version : F-105 Pilots/Ground Crews

BLUEHAWK
02-15-2004, 10:10 AM
The "Lead Sled" or "Thud", has a reputation...

IS it deserved?

What experiences did you have with the aircraft?

:cd: :a:

afvet462
04-15-2004, 09:59 AM
I'm a new guy in town and figured this was a good place to start. I spent 20 years in the Air Force as a 462(Aircraft Armament Systems or Weapons Mech.) in loading, weapons release, gun shop and FTD Instructor. The F-105 was the first plane I ever worked on after Tech School. I was assigned to the gun shop at Nellis AFB and the next assignment was on the F-105D/G Wild Weasel at Korat RTAFB, Thailand. The "nickel" was one of the best fighters the Air Force had. It brought a lot of our pilots back home after a mission. IMHO, I don't think the reputation is deserved. All aircraft have their quirks. The F-4 has the glide ratio of a rock, from what I've been told.

However, if you did not put a tail stand underneath the tail when removing the gun system and ammo drum, it had a tendency to sit on its tail. Now who would forget the...? :re:

DMZ-LT
04-15-2004, 10:22 AM
Good info afvet , Thanks. Welcome aboard , good folks here , keep posting :a:

MORTARDUDE
04-15-2004, 11:23 AM
It was our 2nd or 3rd day in Cambodia and our company had just went thru a 'ville and another company ( A ? ) was following behind when all hell broke loose. Cobras and air strikes were called in. An F-105 made several passes, and I was sitting in the TC hatch on top of the APC when a chunk of shrapnel from a bomb ( 500 lb ? ) just plopped right down ever so gently. Like a dummy I picked it up and it was red hot. I kept it for awhile but lost it somewhere along the line. Always good to see these bad boys show up. Thanks for your post and welcome aboard !!!

Larry

Bill Farnie
04-15-2004, 11:47 AM
Welcome to the PF
I gotta say though, I couldn't tell one jet from another but I was sure glad to see em' when we needed em'

Bill

Yossarian
01-07-2005, 08:35 PM
People forget that the Thud was the first (and for a long time the only) fighter with sea level supersonic capability. It was also one of the sweetest aircraft ever built.