The Patriot Files Forums

The Patriot Files Forums (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/index.php)
-   Military Weapons (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
-   -   IED question (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39892)

Chas H 08-10-2005 09:39 AM

Pho, your attachment shows 3 (at least) 155mm rounds in the back of the truck. These are rounds similar, if not identical, to what the US and NATO use. They weigh about 98 lbs each.

BLUEHAWK 08-10-2005 11:20 AM

Re: the 155 rounds in that truck...

I am assuming that they are composed of UNstable HE, and that to detonate them in the shell there has to be something like a blasting cap kind of thing... which can be daisy-chained together, whereon the explosion throws all kinds of shrapnel all over the place and makes a crater the equivalent of three 155mm rounds?

PHO127 08-10-2005 11:53 AM

Chas, Blue

1. The title of the picture taken from the web site was 250 px artillery. If you want to think they are 98lbs OK with me, I prefer to believe my son that they are 250s.

2. Look closely at the picture see the yellow stripe on the 3 highly vivible shells. Now look closely and you will see several more yellow stripes in the shadow part of the truck. The entire bed is layered one deep with shellsa and gas/diesel cans on top.

3. Blue, Comp B or whatever these shells have is NOT an unstable explosive it is very stable so it will not go off when it is fired.

Chas H 08-10-2005 01:31 PM

PHO, other than basic training, I did my entire tour in a 8"/175mm battery. I do know what I'm talking about.
Attached is a photo of soke strong lads humping a few 8" rounds that weigh 200 lbs. A 155mm round is almost 50mm (about 2") smaller in diameter and a bit shorter.

DMZ-LT 08-10-2005 03:49 PM

Thank you Chas H you guys saved my ass a couple of times , Pho too. I don't care how mich they weighed . I appreciate it . Which one are you ?

Chas H 08-10-2005 03:57 PM

You're quite welcome LT. The pleasure was ours.
The guys mugging in the photo are from the Battalion Ammo section. I was in C battery FDC. The heaviest thing I picked up was a C-rat can of beef stew.

DMZ-LT 08-10-2005 04:11 PM

Chas H

Once made an artillery raid with a battery of SP 155 , I think. They fired all day and at dusk started to bring out banjos and build a fire. I told them to shut up , dig a hole , put out the fire , and half of them to stay up. We didn't get hit , thank goodness. Thank you again, did I tell you the time I marched 105's within 25 yards of us ? Artillery kills lots of people , thank goodness.

Chas H 08-10-2005 04:31 PM

I haven't your tale of danger close. Please enlighten at least me.
We frequently went on raids, if fact that's about all we did.
I actually preferred the action and excitement to clunking around in some organized, boring LZ-like LZ English. Although I was there for Tet, not LZ Pony where I had just moved from. And I am exceedingly grateful to my Creator for that move.

-------------------------------------------

Who won the War? Artillery won the War.
Gen Patton

DMZ-LT 08-10-2005 05:52 PM

Chas H

OK , Your enlightened

Chas H 08-10-2005 05:55 PM

Thanks, I needed that, save wear and tear on the shoes and sandals too.