The Patriot Files Forums

The Patriot Files Forums (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marines (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Morning Coffee! ;) (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25033)

wrbones 06-08-2003 11:16 PM

Morning Coffee!

'Mornin' folks! How ya doin' today anyway! Coffee's on! Ya best grab a cup and get some! Go ahead and find a place to park it fer a bit. Gotta get yer eyes open and get yer head wrapped around yer day before ya take off! Paper'll be along directly!

Monday, huh? Ain't that the shits! Sometimes it seems like the weekend just flys by! I had company all week last week! The weekend was worse! Now don't misunderstand me, company's good fer a bit, but dang. Sun up to sundown and then some! I need a day off....

I got somethin' to visit over, but ya gotta understand one thing. Me and the Ol Lady don't agree on most things, but one thing we do agree on: IF folks need helpin', we help 'em if'n we can. Now, that said, we both have no little bit of trainin' and experience in dealin' with people on a personal level.

Now then....on to what I was thinkin' about....

A few years ago, me and the Ol Lady were livin' in a small town near here. We spent a few years there. Most folks there didn't really like me to start with. Damn if I know why. I told the truth and expected others to do the same, I reckon. A lot of folks around there liked lyin' about things more than they like tellin' the truth, I think. Anyway, some of those folks started comin' by fer coffee inna morning, before they started their day. We'd start at 06:30 and mebbe have breakfast and visit fer a bit. No problem. A few others got to understand that we would spend some time with them and tell them what we really thought about things. You know. Offer them some advice and help them a bit if we could. Well, they started comin' over to visit. Next thing ya know, we're runnin' a house full of people from 06:00 to near midnight, sometimes longer! Had to post a sign onna door sayin', " No guests from 10 PM til 6AM" just so we'd get some sleep! We'd have twenty-thirty people inna house durin' a day's time! Sometimes you'd swear it was a pshyco-therapy group with all the stuff that got talked about. Now, some of those folks are still where they were at several years ago in their lives. Troubles and cryin' and not growin' or changin' much. Most of 'em, though, have moved on to bigger and better things, and we've heard of a number of 'em who're quite happy with things in their lives now as compared to where they were several years ago.

Now we don't set out to do this type of thing. It just ends up happenin' is all. Looks like it's happenin' again.

Now thing is, this all stated in Arizona some 15-16 years ago. We moved to Colorado fer a short bit and it started happenin' there, then we moved up here...and it's happened here as well....

Now thing is, I'm a private kinda guy and would rather be left alone by folks as much as I can get away with...but I don't mind settin' up coffee and visitin' either. I'd just rather be peaceable and stay to myself a hair more than gettin' out and about is all.

Point is, whatever ya do, where ever ya go, there ya are, with the job ready to hand that the Boss gave ya to do...and yer the only one's can do it the way the Boss had in mind. Sometimes, when things ain't goin' right for ya, the Boss has somethin' else for ya to do, and yer in the wrong 'place' to do it. Other times, where ever ya go, what the Boss has for ya to do is ready to hand. Whether yer in the wrong 'place' in yer life, or whether yer in the right 'place' in yer life, wherever ya go, there ya are.

I guess the right place fer me is makin' coffee inna mornin'.....but if ya show up after 10 PM or before 6 AM, yer sittin' by yerself and watchin' TV fer a bit.....;) Coffee's always on. You can get yer own dang cup.

bWarm up yer coffee, folks! It's a new day! We got another chance to get it right! It's a new opportunity! Make sure ya go out there and take advantage of it!

wrbones 06-09-2003 10:57 PM

Morning Coffee!

'Mornin' folks! How the hell ya doin' this mornin'! Coffee's on! Get yerself a cup and get some! Cop a squat somewhere! Let's get our BHG's to workin' before we start the day! Paper'll be along directly, I imagine! I get the front page and the comics!

Well, what'll it be today do ya reckon? Let's see...Got a letter from Mr. Cobb yesterday. I was surprised. Hadn't got anything from him lately. Typical Marine. He don't write much! LOL. Just a newspaper clippin' in it! LOL. I thought, well, mebbe he wrote somethin' in the margins. Nope. Well, I got him back. I looked his hometown paper up on the net and then posted the danged article on leatherneck.com! LOL. That'll teach him. LOL. Now everyone'll know who he is!

Mr. Cobb's a good man from what I've been able to tell. All told, he's a helluva Marine, too. Can't say anything better than that I reckon. Fought with Chesty Puller at Peleliu and was involved in the heaviest fighting there on top of it... and then he had the gall to walk away basically unharmed! They got down to fightin' with sticks and stones and bare
knuckles...and beat the enemy back!! The thing is, by the time they got to Peleliu, there wasn't really a strategic or tactical reason to take it anymore, but they was there, so they took it! Every acount ya read of Bloody Nose Ridge says the same thing as what's in the newspaper article. It was one of those battles that had a big impact on enemy morale, though, in my opinion. On that island, legends were made. Mr. Cobb is one of them.

Marines...folks....next time ya get to *****in'...think about Corporal Hobart Cobb, United States Marine.

Well, I reckon we'd better warm up our coffee and get our heads wrapped around the day! We got another chance to get 'er right! We got another opportunity to get 'er all sorted out! Daylight's almost here!

...and most of us didn't have to fight with sticks and stones all night to be able to live to see it.....

Mr. Cobb.

Semper Fidelis, Marine.

You hang around fer a bit, sir. We need someone to help keep us lined out a bit, Mister.

http://www.lafollettepress.com/frontpage/marine.html

thedrifter 06-10-2003 06:41 AM

Goodmorning

Thanks Bones.....for looking for the article and placing it on the site.....

Mr Cobb is a great Marine....A man with few words.....but when he spoke....We All listened......never brag about himself....always wanted to know what we did....looked out for all of us.....Our Father figure....I'm Proud to know Mr Cobb.....

Well I can't believe we have two days of sun and no rain.....We haven't had that happened in over a month...I need to get the grass cut....My back yard looks like a jungle...LOL.....
Finally the tempertures are where they are suppost to be.....It's going in the 80's today....That's my kind of weather....I hate the cold....

Well all have a good day......

Sempers,

Roger

wrbones 06-10-2003 11:54 PM

Morning Coffee!

'Mornin' folks! How the hell are ya, anway! Coffee's on! Ya better get a cup and get settled somewhere! Paper'll be along inna bit, I reckon!

Well, what're we visitin' over today, do ya think? Well, hell, I was askin' you! Let's see...terrain analysis? Nope? OK, land navigation? Not really, huh? LOL. Politics? Well, we just did that a few days ago. Lots of things to visit over ain't there. Religion, sociology, economics, relationships, learnin', gardenin'
and all sorts a stuff. I started fixin' coffee inna mornin' about a year or so, give or take a couple of weeks. This Morning Coffee has been an interesting experience to set up every mornin'. I've had a good time visitin' with you folks like this. I hope the Boss let's us keep visitin' every mornin' for some time to come. It's been a real pleasure for me.

I've explained other places why I started doin' this, but I'll go over it a bit one more time. Nomad used to run a thread on a ouple of websites that a lot of folks would visit inna mornin'. The man had a real gift for words, too. Unlike me, he didn't need to talk much to say what he had to say. Well, Nomad got hisself transferred to Chesty's Command, so we all lost his wisdom and strength and knowledge. But most of all, we lost that wonderful voice inna mornin'. A voice that offered peace and hope. A good man and a good Marine, he will be missed by all who met him and knew him. I only knew him online for a few weeks, myself. When he checked out, what with me bein' selfish and all, I was pissed that I didn't get to know him better before he left us. He had an impact on the Marine Corps and on people that will not soon be forgotten.

leatherneck.com went down for awhile and much that Nomad contributed there was lost. Later, when the site came back online, Sparrowhawk started a thread called, aptly enough, Morning Coffee. Well it did ok fer awhile and then, for whatever reason, went the way of most threads on any website. One morning before work, I tried to find that thread and didn't have time for a decent search on the site, so kinda by accident, I started this version of Morning Coffee. Nomad was on my mind as I first started visitin' with folks over coffee inna mornin'. He still is. Almost daily I consider Nomad before I start fixin' coffee. Now I don't pretend at all to replace his voice, let alone have anything like his knowldege, wisdom or experience. I've had to use my own way of lookin' at things...but thanks to the inspiration of Nomad and something that Sparrowhawk started, we've had some pretty good visits, don't you think. That influence has led to this thread being on three different sites altogether...with nearly twenty thousand folks visitin' over coffee inna mornin' this last year...(and if I don't get Morning Coffee ready on all three sites inna mornin', I hear about it!)

A man may not know the influence he has on folks. Influence that may last generations, or maybe only a minute or two. He doesn't have to be a hero or a movie star or even a great politician or statesman. He doesn't even have to be rich. It is my hope that we have talked about that here, in some small way, and led us all to think about what we do and why we do it, and how all of that affects folks around us. We've visited over a lot of different things over the last year. I hope that, maybe...just maybe...I've been of some small help to others as I try to figger all of these things out for myself. I'm still tryin' to get it right myself, ya know. Myself, I think...I think Nomad damn near had it all figgered out. That's why Chesty wanted him. Now I'm workin' on it. I figger I'm on the right track, but I damn sure ain't there yet.

If I'd thought folks would start relyin' on me fer their coffee inna mornin', I mighta volunteered for shitter detail. Been a helluva thing, though. Tryin' to visit over burnin' shitters inna mornin'....

Well, enough of that I reckon. Warm up yer coffee, folks! It's a new day! We got another chance to get 'er right! We got another opportunity to get 'er all sorted out!

..and ain't that a wonderful thing.

thedrifter 06-11-2003 06:28 AM

Goodmorning

Warren, Comming in a reading morning coffee every day is when I can relax with a cup of coffee...and reflect and ponder your words....
You are a gifted Marine....

Well I knew the weather could not last.....It's still warm in the mid 80's today.....but the clouds are moving in and the rain is suppost to start anytime....with a few thunderstorms popping up now and then......Did get one thing done yesterday.....When my oldest son came home from work....he looked outside....and said....I will cut the grass after dinner....Mom....
El sometimes never has to say anything to the kids....I sometimes believe they have a inner sense....between each other.....

I only knew Nomad....through....the net.....Was suppost to meet him.....but plans changed......It was his final weeks of life....

Nomad had a way to make you think....Encourage you to go after your goals..Boosted up your spirits when you were down..and Yes....could tell you off if you were not following the rules....He made you rethink....your ways......Escape into a world,...and journey through his eyes......

I do have one of his writings that Nomad sent me one morning....I have it placed on my website.....
I hope you enjoy...

Sempers,

Roger

As I arose at the crack of dark, a most refresing couple of hours of showers, what a sweet fresh aroma did come wafting through the open door from my Valley. You could just feel the plants and flowers smiling with their wet faces and leaves. The song of spring was distant, but perceptible and soothing. The sweet voices of the small birds are just beginning to warble through the dampened trees.

Today in my Valley, will be a good day. there are a few clouds that remain, reminding us God is going to give us a second chance at both seeing this fresh world and a fresh day in our lives that should be savored and enjoyed. Perhaps it is a reminder that as hard as life seems, we can start a new to add our smiles and joys so that others may enjoy.

Doors and windows are wide open with fans placed strategically. A/C's are all off, both saving electricity and noise. Within minutes the inside of the house is cleansed with a part of my Valley's goodness.Temporary though it may be, it is a reminder of the possibilities that exist for today with its promise of refreshment and new chances. With the din and rumbling of conflict and the chous of thunder in the past, the sweet sounds of the birds whose songs are the quality of orchestras annouce a new day in our lives. Sweet peace and contentment do reign in the valley on this wonderful day.

As first light now approaches, so do the stirring of the puppy crew. Their excitement and joy reign supreme. The romp and run of their young selves is but one more joy behold. For a few moments the Valley gives me all that was missing in the pass, even if it is a temporary thing. It tells me there is so much joy and happiness that remains available to all. The pyysical and mental pains that are seemingly so overwhelming, are but minuscule at this moment of wonderment in my Valley.

Oh God, I do indeed than you for this time in my life. Please watch over my Marines and allow as many as you can to enjoy this day as you have given it to me. For they are so much more deserving.

The coffee is ready and the outside calls. Not even royalty can know the joy and contentment puppies and the freshly wetted Valley can offer one.

May this day be a new start for each and every one of you my brothers and sisters. What better could this world and my valley offer me this day than to know my Marines are safe and able to begin this day a new such as I?

From the beautiful shenandoah Valley of Virgina, I humbly offer this day to all of you. may your day as wonderfully as mine as begun.

With Marine love and devotion,

Semper Fidelis

NOMAD

wrbones 06-11-2003 11:25 PM

Morning Coffee!

'Mornin' folks! How ya doin' this mornin'!! Coffee's on! Grab yerself a cup and get some, why don't ya! Paper'll be along in a bit, I reckon.

I got to lookin' at the 'minutes' of all of this visitin' we been doin' over coffee in the mornin'. Got to thinkin' about Nomad while I was doin' it. Even noticed a Marine figgerin' that we were on the track of keepin' Nomad's dream alive. Well, I got to thinkin' about that, and I figger from the way he wrote to the way we visit isn't so dang far apart. We just ain't as elegant with words as he was. I think we've got the heart of it, though. I'm glad Roger posted that bit of scribblin' Nomad did. I'd about forgotten how beautiful his words actually were.

Makes a man think, "How in hell can ya ever match that?" don't it! Well, ya can't. Ya gotta be yerself and use yer own way of sayin' things. There's beauty in that, if yer honest about things. It's a look into a man's spirit and soul to hear what he's sayin'. Sometimes, like with Nomad, it's somethin' beautiful to behold. Other times, we see where someone else, or even ourselves, have fallen somewhat short of that kinda beauty. At times folks need a swift kick in the ass, other times they just need someone to listen to 'em unload fer a bit, other times, they just need someone to be there and not say a word. Point is, we're all on the road together, and we need to help each other get there from here. The goal is finding that inner beauty and strength that we see in men like Nomad. We'll get there. Workin' together, we'll get there. I have faith in ya.

Warm up yer coffee, folks! It's a new day! We got another chance to get 'er right! We got another opportunity to get 'er all figgered out!

Make sure ya take advantage of it!

wrbones 06-12-2003 11:32 PM

Morning Coffee!

'Mornin' folks! How ya doin' this mornin'! Coffee's on! Ya best get a cup and have some! Hell, ya gotta get yer eyes open before ya start yer day! Paper'll be along directly!

Well, I don't know what we're talkin' about today, do you? No? OK, let's see then....My irises are about done bloomin' fer the year, I reckon. I had lots of blooms this year. I spaced then far enough apart I shouldn't have to replant 'em fer a couple of years yet. My day lilies are startin' to put up stalks, but it's gonna be a week or two yet 'fore they bloom. Grass is really lookin' good this year. I think one of my neighbors actually beat me this year. Don't tell them I said this, but I think their yard is lookin' a bit better than mine! LOL. We had a pretty nasty storm blow through earlier. We didn't get but the edge of it. 'Bout enough rain to knock the dust down a bit. That's a pretty thing to watch from up here. See those storm clouds as they move out over the plains, and like I said, I can see about 45 odd miles from here! It's a beautiful sight to lay eyes on.

We've got a robin hangin' around the place this year, too.He's just usin' me, though. He likes to wash up under the sprinkler when I water the yard and get the worms outta the grass when the water brings 'em up. 'Course, I ain't had as many bugs in the yard this year, either....The good news is, the neighbors on the one side of me ( the bad ones ) got rid of their dog, so he ain't shittin' in the yard this year. Good thing. Dog tacos were lookin' like a pretty good option. What? He wasn't old enough to be tough eatin' just yet! LOL. Oh, hell. I couldn't a done that anyway. I can't keep a sharp knife around the house. The ol' Lady keeps cuttin' herself on 'em! LOL.

The Black Hills are showin' their beauty this year. It's been a little cooler, though, so if ya come a visitin' ya better bring a jacket fer evenin' and a quilt fer sleepin' under! I haven't taken a long drive in the hills yet this year. A person can spend a couple of hours, or all day just enjoyin' the drive up there. Kinda hard to get lost up there, but ya might wanta get a map when ya get here. A person can get turned around some if ya ain't payin' attention, and it's pretty enough that you'll ferget to pay attention, too. I've seen some huge elk up there, deer, mountain goats and sheep, mountain lions, and some folks report seein' wolves here and there, and all sorts of other stuff. Fer the bird watchers, there's a couple types of birds up there ya don't see every day, too. One time, I swear I saw a moose up there, but it was dark and I only got a quick look at him as I was tryin' to drive around him.....some folks talk about a few black bear bein' lose up there, too. The Black Hills ain't as tame as some folks think, and speakin' of which, don't try to pet the buffalo. They get kinda grumpy when ya do that. Ya ever see a bull buffalo go from 0-35 in three steps? Kinda startlin' the first time ya see it....and no I wasn't tryin' to pet him. Some idjit tourist was, but he got lucky. Buffalo lost interest after he bounced the tourist clear across the car. Kinda bad, too. That tourist feller was wearin' a new shirt. Buffalo snot can't be that easy to get outta yer clothes, I don't figger.....not to mention havin' to buy new skivvies.

Well, enough of this nonsense. Warm up yer coffee, folks! It's a new day! We got another chance to get 'er right! It's a new opportunity to get 'er all sorted out!

wrbones 06-15-2003 12:03 AM

Mornig Coffee!

'Mornin' folks! How the hell are ya today! Coffee's on! Get yerself a cup and get some! Paper'll be along directly, I imagine! I got dibs on the front page and the comics!

Well, we've had a few pretty bad storms blow through around here. Ain't nothin' to write home about, though, 'cept er the views, that is! Good sleepin' weather, though. Down in the 60's at night! Open the windows and curl up under the covers. Just cool enough inna mornin' to make a hot up of joe taste pretty good!

I got to thinkin' a little bit ago. ( Yeah, here it comes! ) Somethin' about how it isn't always what you know, but what the other feller might know about things. Now don't get me wrong. I'm one of the first to call a person on it they think they're gonna fool me. But, ( yeah, there's usually a 'but' somewhere along the way, there's almost always an exception to somethin' or other now, ain't there!) there's enough folks runnin' around that know a thing or two that you don't. Once in a blue moon it's gonna be some kid somewhere, but we all know that ain't generally the case! There's somethin' to be said fer time and experience as long as ya been tryin' to pay attention. Anyways, I've found that just about the time I figger the other guy don't know nothin' is when he's got things nailed to the wall and I shoulda listened to him the first time! I mighta been inna bad mood, or maybe I was tired, or maybe I wasn't feelin' so good...hell, maybe I just didn't have my coffee first. It'll be somethin' that gets in the way of me listenin', and that somethin' is normally me!

Now, it's hard to pay attention when ya got things runnin' through yer head, or ya ain't feelin' good or somethin'. Maybe it might be pride that keeps ya from listenin'. You know, bein' hard to admit to yerself and to others that maybe...just maybe... ya don't know everything there is to know about everything! I've known a few like that myself. Hell, we all get the attitude once in awhile! If'n ya don't, well, if'n look inna mirror I just might be able to show ya a liar! LOL. There's just too much to know anymore, folks. We gotta rely on others fer their knowledge more and more every day it seems. The thing we have to be good at, is learnin' the folks we can trust to share their knowledge with us w/o takin' advantage of us. Yeah, I know. That's a piss poor sentence, but most of my sentences are!

Anyway. It always comes down to that one thing among folks, don't it. Trust. Who do ya trust, and what do ya trust them with?Well, I look for folks that don't abuse my time or try to fool me none. I look for folks who've got good character. Top thing I grew up with was a work ethic. If folks said, "He's a hard worker." Usually most of the other good character traits would be there somewhere without mentionin' them. It was just understood. Otherwise they listed the feller's shortcomings before they mentioned his hard work. " He's a drinker, but he's a hard worker." or "He's a womanizer, but he's a hard worker." Country folks keep things short and to the point, mostly...unless they're settin' ya up fer a practical joke....then it can get complicated!"

I remember folks bein' like that in the Corps. Short, sweet and simple as to what ya could be trusted to do or not to do. Sometimes it was a simple matter of ability and skill. Sometimes it was because a Marine couldn't really be trusted. Some things, no matter how much a Marine trained at them, there was always gonna be somebody better at it than he was. Some things, certain Marines were the 'go to' guy every damn time. Other times, one Marine would get his butt worked off because someone else couldn't be trusted to do that particular job right everytime. Never the less, give almost any Marine almost any mission at all, and he'd get it done.

We learned a lot of principles when we were in the Corps. Some of us have had time to learn a few more. We just need to apply them across the board in our lives is all. Learnin' how to trust others is one of them. If ya have to play NCO and put together a team you can trust, then that's what ya oughta do, I reckon. Workin' with civilians, the principles are the same...the rules are just a bit different is all.

Well, I been ramblin', tryin' to sort this out, but I guess we oughta warm up our coffee and get our heads ready fer the day! It's Sunday, folks! We got another chance to sort it out! It's a new opportunity! Make sure ya take advantage of it!

Don't ferget! I got dibs on the comics!

thedrifter 06-15-2003 08:15 AM

Goodmorning

Woke up with a nice breeze coming in....Storms were comming thru here too....This whole week....our tempertures went up to summer weather.....Hot and Humid.....Not good sleeping weather....or doing anything.....
Was a little lazy this week, but Ellie will tell you I'm that way all the time....;) ....

I don't have too much planned today....just relaxing around the house....My children....Always try to make this day special for me....So, I still don't know what they have planned this Father's Day.....since all 4 like to sleep in on Sundays.....LOL....

So all those who are Father's......Happy Father's Day!!!!!

Bones like usually....good coffee, with good reading material.....

Sempers,

Roger

wrbones 06-15-2003 11:05 PM

Morning Coffee!

'Mornin' folks! How ya doin' this mornin' anyway! Cofee's on! Ya best get a up and set fer a bit! Day ain't quite started yet! Ya gotta get yer eyes open anyway! Paper'll be here after a bit!

Well, what do ya figger, anway! Me? Hell, I don't know. Let me get my eyes open first! Dang easy chair got me again. I woke up, the lights and TV were out and it was dark in here! Ol' Lady left me in the livin' room! I don't blame her none. I wake up mean and sudden sometimes! LOL. One of these days when I get old and bald, I'm gonna wake up sudden like that and give myself a trip to the emrgency room! LOL. "How'd you break your arm, your hip and all of those ribs, Mr. Bonesteel?" " I woke up!" LOL.

We all sacrificed doin' our time in the Corps. Some more than others, some maybe a bit less, but we all sacrificed. I figger it was worth it. Except fer that boot camp part, I'd do it again, myself, if I had it all to do over again...even the part where I wake up mean and fast sometimes. Some idjits'd do MCRD again, but they're more Hard Corps than I am! Myself, I figger once is enough on any space-time continuim!!

Over the years, we all learn the things that are worth sacrificin'
for. Ya sacrifice for your kids, for your family, for your spouses, sometimes for your careers, but ya learn. Priorities change for ya as ya get older, too. After awhile, the little things start to matter more than they used to....and ya learn how much and when to sacrifice for things that are important to ya. Ya learn the value of time as it relates to all of those things. Sometimes, time isn't money....and sometimes the sacrifice is worth it

...and sometimes, it's well worth gettin' up a bit early to have a quiet cup of coffee inna morning' before yer days starts.

Warm up yer cup, folks! It's a new day! It's another chance to get 'er right! We got another opportunity to get 'er all sorted out!