The Patriot Files Forums

The Patriot Files Forums (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Posts (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Incompetence and waste at VA (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148851)

SuperScout 08-31-2010 12:41 PM

Incompetence and waste at VA

The Department of Veterans Affairs is spending tens of millions of taxpayer dollars every year to maintain hundreds of buildings – most of them vacant – that have fallen into such a state of disrepair that many of them are considered health hazards, an investigation by FoxNews.com reveals.
Exactly how much it costs to maintain the run-down and abandoned buildings is a matter of dispute. The Government Accountability Office estimates that the VA has spent $175 million every year since 2007. But the VA disputes that figure, saying it spent $85 million on the buildings in 2007 and only $37 million last year.
Whatever the figure, the timing couldn't be worse for the VA, as tens of thousands of American troops, many of whom have served multiple tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, prepare to return to the U.S. and will require the expensive medical, psychological and support services it provides.
From Augusta, Ga., to Menlo Park, Calif., from Milwaukee, Wis., to Perry Point, Md., the VA maintains 5,507 buildings across the country. But as many as 314 of them are currently vacant — and they require huge outlays of money just to remain standing.
Some veterans' advocates have called for the structures to be renovated or razed and rebuilt to provide housing for homeless veterans — but demolishing them or making them habitable could cost even more money, because many of the buildings contain hazardous materials.
Others say the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]government[/color][/color] should sell these buildings to developers or non-profits that can make use of the facilities. But the VA is restricted by complex federal property and historical building guidelines and sanctioned share lease agreement programs that require outside organizations to come up with big bucks — no small feat for cash-strapped municipalities and non-profits in the midst of a recession.
And some of these buildings are just too old or too bizarre — anyone looking for a 325-square-foot pink, octagonal monkey house in Dayton, Ohio? — to [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]drum[/color][/color] up interest.
A FoxNews.com investigation has uncovered scores of these decrepit or abandoned buildings across the country that are home to rats, vermin, bird's nests, septic rainwater, exposed asbestos, lead paint, wall-to-wall fungal growth, mold, radon, fiberglass insulation, old clothes, spare tires, barrels of unidentified chemicals and even abandoned children’s dolls, according to documents and first-hand observations.
The VA owns a total of 145.6 million gross square feet, of which 6.6 million gross square feet are vacant. Add another 4 million gross square feet of underutilized space — areas that are occupied but not utilized most effectively — and 7 percent of VA property is wasting both space and money.

BLUEHAWK 08-31-2010 01:34 PM

idea

Turn 'em over to vets, to build them into homeless shelters and community clinics.

Gimpy 08-31-2010 02:33 PM

I agree!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLUEHAWK (Post 477473)
Turn 'em over to vets, to build them into homeless shelters and community clinics.

A GREAT IDEA!

Thanks Hawk.

SuperScout 08-31-2010 04:15 PM

Actually, due to the current state of some of these buildings, a better use of them would be to fill a landfill with the materials, and sell the raw land to a private developer. It galls me to no end that this waste is well known by the VA, that they keep trying to justify it, while hundreds if not thousands of vets aren't getting the care they deserve. As a nation, we can do better; as vets, we deserve better.

bluesclues 09-01-2010 04:21 AM

My last stay in the va was anything but good if hadn't been for my better half would have been worse it seem like the YN vet as good as dead, but they still haveto deal with they shot us,they spraded us, but when the smoke clears there we are sticking something in their eye. these younger vets don't know whats down the road for them yet the ones that have been hurt will fine out after all the flag waving and the band stops playing all they are is damaged goods used up,someone high up well say Yeah, but what have you done for me lately.It's sad but maybe I'm the only one that's see it that way. rass

1CAVCCO15MED 09-03-2010 08:48 AM

I think a lot of it is the VA employees who never served in the military. Some of them resent veterans getting what they get so they do their jobs poorly or not at all when they can get away with it. But when payday comes around they are the most vocal about how they deserve everything they get in pay and benefits because they have to put up with low life loser vets. I have met more than one of these pieces of shit.

1CAVCCO15MED 09-03-2010 08:55 AM

Here is my latest example of VA waste. I see a rheumatologist outside the VA for my fibromyalgia. My primary care doc told me this mine was now on their staff so he was going to set me up with her through the VA. I get this call the other day from the Lexington, Ky VA Hospital wanting to set me up with their rheumatologist. I told them I thought I was going to go to my own one. They told me she was not on the staff except as a consultant so to save money I was going to have to go to Lexington. My rheumatologist charges about $50 a visit and I live about 225 miles from Lexington so at 20 cents a mile travel pay that is $45. Wow! They saved five bucks.

1CAVCCO15MED 09-03-2010 09:11 AM

I apparently got it wrong. The travel pay is 41.5 cents per mile each way. With a $6 deductible that puts me at $160 travel pay. It costs them $110 more to send me to Lexington, KY.

SuperScout 09-03-2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1CAVCCO15MED (Post 479726)
I think a lot of it is the VA employees who never served in the military. Some of them resent veterans getting what they get so they do their jobs poorly or not at all when they can get away with it. But when payday comes around they are the most vocal about how they deserve everything they get in pay and benefits because they have to put up with low life loser vets. I have met more than one of these pieces of shit.

Actually, this statement of fact should be transmuted into a condition of employment: the VA should hire only veterans! Brilliant idea! I dare say that every speciality, job description etc. could be filled by guys and gals who have served their country, and are willing to continue serving her but ina different capacity.

bluesclues 09-04-2010 04:37 AM

I know for a fact down in the va in Augusta,GA. some of the staff are carring off stuff by car load! Because when I was in there over heard one of them talking about all the stuff he had at his house my wife heard also,they though it was a big joke. My wife called the cops and they called the fed's and they said they were going to look into it must have done some good because I was told by one of the staff that people could get killed if I got his draft, after that Iwas very carefully about the pills I took to say the least.
Inless than 36 hr. I was home I come home with a card from the patient advocate even got a call from the head of the va medical center I told him what was told to me and Itold him if someone comes to my house they will be going home in a green zipup bag, still done sleep good because if that! So be very carefully some of these fokes are crazyer than we are, but they aren't as will armed.

razz