The Patriot Files Forums

The Patriot Files Forums (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vietnam (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   15th Medical Battalion Reunion (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42559)

1CAVCCO15MED 06-29-2006 09:36 PM

15th Medical Battalion Reunion

I went to my first reunion ever with my old outfit, the 15th Med Bn in Reno, Nev. I'll add to this as I get along.

1CAVCCO15MED 06-29-2006 09:45 PM

I was more or less terrified to go because of what I had been through in the past. But when I got there it was so very good to see these guys. Most were Medevac but there were a few guys in clearing companies. The term Medevac was invented by these guys. I learned that 1/3 of all Medevac crews during the war were shot down and killed. I learned the mongoose kept by the 1/9th near us in Quon Loi was named Agnew, not for the VP but for a particularly weasely officer in 1/9th. There were about 23 guys from 15th Med there and everyone there had at least one Purple Heart, some two or three, even us guys on the ground. Of these 23 guys, one was in a wheelchair from being shot in the head, another was on crutches, three had arms that were not functional. One guy had six bullet holes in his arms and legs. there was an entire crew there that in one day was shot down four times in the A Shau. Their own chopper was shot down, them two more Medevacs and finally a slick. They quit when they ran out of helicopters.

1CAVCCO15MED 06-29-2006 09:51 PM

I found out Medevac was not assigned to companies but were in their own platoon, all were volunteers. The Valourous Unit Citation my company got I kind of assumed was us riding on the coat tails of Medevac. It wasn't.

They had these challenge coins for sale for about $60. The guy selling them gave me one. He told me he hoped it hooked me into coming to the reunions from now on. These guys were so ordinary. Their outstanding trait at the reunion was how much they enjoyed being with their own. It was not bragging, bravado or any kind of pissing contest. It was just the love. Oh yes, the guy was named Corky and he was one of the crew shot down four times in a day.

Doc.2/47 06-29-2006 10:01 PM

Glad you were able to make the trip, Doc. Fred. Hope it was a healing experience for all. :32:

1CAVCCO15MED 06-29-2006 10:04 PM

It was more than healing. I can't explain it.

catman 06-30-2006 05:33 AM

Doc Fred...very happy to have read of your journey, keep the faith brother!

Trav

1CAVCCO15MED 06-30-2006 03:17 PM

Trav, I got to talk to Claude Newby for a while. He had ancestors in East Tennessee that signed the Constitution of the Lost State of Franklin as well as I did. Our ancestors knew each other. Packo, he told me he was on LZ Carolyn once and it was before the attack. He said he had this feeling of being vulnerable that was very unsettling.

SEATJERKER 06-30-2006 03:30 PM

Fred,...

...You will always be the face of mercy in so many eyes that you won't meet again, but they know you, and say, yea, the Doc patched me up, and shipped me out, talked fuuny but,...

...He patched me up, and shipped me out,...

39mto39g 06-30-2006 04:24 PM

1 cav

Can't bring myself to go to a reunion yet.
Glade you had a time to remember. Most days go by without any signifigance. A rememberd day means something.
Ron

Packo 06-30-2006 06:03 PM

Doc,

That LZ was blown right on the X Cache Trail near the old SF base at Prek Klok. It went from Cambodia to the Froggie Rubber Plantation. From day one.....everyone had a bad feelin' about the place. We found out why later. Only through the efforts of our field Docs and y'all at 15th Med did we make it through.....well, and a bit of hand to hand, the 9th Cav, and the Air Force.

So glad you enjoyed the reunion....like Ron, haven't been able to bring myself to go to one other than Psyco Mtn. Don't know if I ever will.

Pack