The Patriot Files Forums

The Patriot Files Forums (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vietnam (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Sid's building a cannon... (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39615)

goodnessgracie 07-13-2005 07:02 PM

Sid's building a cannon...

Hiya Kids!

Gracie here. Sid stopped by the bar today & made arrangements to have a cannon machined for Psyco Mtn. Gotta run an errand, more on this later.

Love & Kisses,

Gracie

PHO127 07-14-2005 02:49 AM

Psyco Mtn Artillery

One of the guys is a machinist, also a member of the Outlaws MC. We got to talking and he is going to make a black powder cannon barrel for me. About a 2 incher, It should be ready for next years campout. More details as they evolve. I'm thinking a .58 cal BP Cannon for the pickup for tailgaters. :20: :20: :20:

b3196 07-14-2005 04:29 AM

Holy $hit Sid!!!!...thats gonna be one hell'va wake up call
We gotta make sure we put it next to wherever Gracie's is sleeping for the morning blast. (for those of you who were not there in April, Gracie is not a morning person)
Bob K

39mto39g 07-14-2005 04:32 AM

Cannon

I made a stainless steel cannon about 20 years ago. It shot a 1 inch ball barring. Keeping it held down was the hardest thing. and not putting enough powder in to make that thing penitrate.
I put about a 30.06 sheel full of powder in it and shot it at a tree. The ball bounced off the tree straight back at me and hit me square in the chest. No more small loads after that.
A newtral flame mortar is more fun and safer.
Go get yourself a 2 1/4 inch peace of exhaust pipe and weld on some legs (mortar) cap one end and drill a small hole in the caped end. Get yourself some racket balls, (they are 2 1/4 ") and a cutting tourch. Get the tourch ready to cut, (flame just right) and put it straight dound on somthing flate which will put out the flame, leaving the mixture just right. Now fill tthe tube with the mixture and push in the racket ball. Light the thing off through the small hole and woooooom, The racket ball is gone. Louder than the cannon.

Ron

goodnessgracie 07-14-2005 06:56 AM

BobK:

Sure, I'm a morning person. It's just that most folks don't stay up that long to see for themselves.

Insomniacally Yours,
Dr. Gracie Fever

Doc.2/47 07-14-2005 07:09 AM

Sid-

Knew a couplea ole boys that had a store-bought cannon. Think it was a quarter, or maybe half sized replica of a 12 pdr. Napolian. Anyway, the bore was just the right size to allow the use of empty beer cans as projectiles. They used sand filled cans as their GP round, flour or sand/flour mix as marking rds., and said they could use lead filled cans if there was ever a need to get serious about the whole thing. I think that such a bore size deseves serious consideration for psyco-artillery.

Ron-

It appears that roundballs and trees can create a problem. A good twenty years ago I decided to empty my .44Cal. cap-and ball revolver into a tree that was a good 20-25yds. away. On about the fourth shot the ball bounced directly back and caught me right between the eyes. Dropped me like a sandbag and put my lights out for a while.Didn't penetrate but the round black spot it left didn't even begin to fade for a good 4-5 wks. Sure am glad that I wasn't much closer to that tree!

b3196 07-14-2005 12:26 PM

Sid
Make sure you test fire it before next April....Then we'll let Hal use it for squirril hunting
Bob K

82Rigger 07-14-2005 02:56 PM

If you can figure out a way to make hollow projectiles, you can make HE rounds.

If you can come up with a hollow base round, I know a formula for TRACER composition.

This sounds like FUN! :D

sn-e3 07-14-2005 03:18 PM

Sid is the cannon for Elk hunting or just to keep Yankee's off psyco mt?

PHO127 07-14-2005 04:53 PM

Intruder hunting but

I did get another big game gun a couple of days ago. Bought a pre 64 model 70 in .338 mag. SN is of 1958 manufacture which is the year Winchester introduced the .338 Winchester Magnum.