The Patriot Files Forums

The Patriot Files Forums (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vietnam (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Thanks for the Memories... (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32387)

82Rigger 01-02-2004 07:47 AM

Thanks for the Memories...

...the movie stars...we lost some of our favorites in 2003...

Stars that we watched as kids, and watched during Vietnam, sometimes over and over again.

We watched them again after we got back home.

Your favorites?

Alan Bates * Richard Crenna

Hope Lange * Robert Stack

David Hemmings * Gregory Peck

Art Carney * Hume Cronyn

Donald O'Connor * Katharine Hepburn

John Ritter * Buddy Hackett

Charles Bronson * Buddy Ebsen

Bob Hope

Airborne! Steve / 82Rigger

MORTARDUDE 01-02-2004 07:53 AM

Hard to believe John Ritter is gone. He was my age. Just watched a movie called "Panic", and he was a therapist in it. Excellent movie. Also had Donald Sutherland, Neve Campbell, and William H. Macy. He was an under-rated actor, and an all-round-nice-guy.

Larry

Boats 01-02-2004 12:13 PM

Mr. Peck, Mr. Bronson and Mr. Hope are three guys I will miss. But they like so many other's have moved on and that's that.

The films will keep them around and that's good but their talents will be impossible to replace.

82Rigger 01-02-2004 02:27 PM

My favorites...

...Gregory Peck in "Moby Dick": Who can forget the intense personification of Captain Ahab.

Robert Stack as Eliott Ness in "The Untouchables".

Buddy Ebsen as George Russell in the Davey Crockett movies.

Art Carney as Ed Norton in "The Honeymooners"

Donald O'Connor in "Francis the Talking Mule"

Richard Crenna as Luke in "The Real McCoys"...but it was old Walter Brennan that MADE that show!

Airborne! Steve / 82Rigger

revwardoc 01-03-2004 01:23 PM

MD,

Did you see the John Ritter movie, "Skin Deep"? He plays an alcoholic, womanizing writer who has a severe writer's block and is desperately trying to get his life back into some semblance of normality. It's kind of a comedy/drama with the funniest moment being the "cock fight" scene. It's worth renting just for that.

Personally, I'll miss Ol' Ski Nose, Bob Hope. I had the pleasure of shaking his hand on 3 seperate occaisions and working on his plane when he left for one of his trips to VN. He had, IMHO, the best comic timing of anyone in show business and was a truly great American.

MORTARDUDE 01-03-2004 04:57 PM

Yes, I saw that movie. It was good. Bob Hope is in a special category, and one-of-a-kind. I am fortuante to have seen a live show of his in Vietnam...My wife and I were talking about all the old movies from the 30s, 40s, and 50s that they show on the Turner channel and some others, and that most of us grew up watching,..and there are only a few of the "major stars" left alive.....not really sure who anymore...

Larry

82Rigger 01-03-2004 07:06 PM

Larry, we've still got...

...quite a few of the "legendary" actors and actresses still with us.
Just off the top of my head:

Gene Hackman
Robert Wagner
Joanne Woodward
Liz Taylor
Charleton Heston
Clint Eastwood
Anne Francis
Glenn Ford
Leslie Nielsen
Sophia Loren
Don Rickles