The Patriot Files Forums

The Patriot Files Forums (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vietnam (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   II Corp TET 68 (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33412)

scarletto 02-18-2004 12:23 PM

II Corp TET 68

Firstly may i apologise for taking up your time. I am currently beginning to write a book on the actions in II Corp, over the Tet offensive. I am wondering if any of the Foorum readers served in this area, and would be willing to correspond about this?

I have included my E-Mail address so as not to take up to much space on this Forum, where i can explain more and and answer any querys. Thank you and God Bless
Simon Haines
Warhound45@aol.com

39mto39g 02-18-2004 02:34 PM

scarletto

An Italian in The british Army? Something wrong with that.

First off your not taking up our space, Everyone hear will talk with you if you ask a question,

Welcome, and ask away.

Ron

scarletto 02-18-2004 10:43 PM

Cheers, the Scarletto is from my old mob, im afraid im 100% tea drinker :) Well to be brief, im currently starting on two books on Vietnam, the II Corp book is one that is going to take some time though i feel it has been overlooked by Hue and Saigon mainly.

I have had one book published about a Battalion in WW2, my style of writing is al,la Nolan,Murphy. What i want if possible with the persons permission is oral accounts of what,where they were during TeTin II Corp. I could just write the official accounts that came from Macv and Arvn Hq, But as a ex-soldier (15 years) its the grunts, the guys on the ground id rather hear and write about.

If anyone can help i would be obliged and as i said i can be contacted via e-mail, and if anyone can point me in the way of others who would be willing to help id be grateful.

Thank you in advance and speak soon
simon

revwardoc 02-19-2004 05:11 AM

Scarletto,
A limey, eh? Well, we won't hold that against you...very much...especially me since I spend my summers fighting The Dark Side in American Revolution re-enactments. Many a redcoat has fallen in front of my mighty Charleville!

I'm sure you're aware of George MacDonald Fraser's writings. He is definitely one my all time favorites and I've read all of his books, some of them several times. And I've been to England and Scotland, at least northern England, the Manchester area. Loved the pubs!!

I'd like to offer you some stories but, though I'm a VN era vet, I didn't serve there. Good luck to you in your literary endeavors.

scarletto 02-19-2004 05:15 AM

well seeing im from manchester, i'm glad you liked our pubs!! Funnily enough we probably have more people over here reenacting as Americans as you have Americans reenacting as Limeys

39mto39g 02-19-2004 06:31 AM

Scar

Ok, so what was "TeTin"
It must be in 2 corps, I guess,
There are a bunch of guys here that spent there time in 2 corps.

Ron

revwardoc 02-19-2004 10:36 AM

Scarletto,

Back in 2000, which was the 225th anniversary of the start of the Revolution, we had a huge re-enactment of the events of April 19th that included several re-enactment regiments from England. They were detemined to march from Boston to Concord and back they way their ancestors had. None of them made it and a few had to be hospitalized due to exhaustion and dehydration (the day was unseasonably warm). I've got to give them credit for trying. I've done Battle Road from Sudbury, throught Concord, to Lexington and it took me 3 days to recover. Those guys were alot tougher 225 years ago than we are today.

I didn't realize that there were so many Rev War era re-enactors in England. I had heard that its a part of English history that's sort of glossed over. This summer the entire Continental Line and British Brigade are going to meet on the Plains of Abraham in Quebec City. There should probably be about 2500 combatants and and additional 1500 distaff. We love going up there since the history of the "old city" means so much to us. If you have any pictures of re-enactments in England, I'd love to see them and if you'd like to see what we look like, go to www.sudburyminutemen.org or www.saintonge.org. And English ale is the best!

scarletto 02-19-2004 11:10 AM

Re: Scar

Quote:

Originally posted by 39mto39g Ok, so what was "TeTin"
It must be in 2 corps, I guess,
Ron
Must be due to the fact i had a case of five thumbs when typing that :(

would like obviuosly to hear from anyone from the Cav/Abn or 4ID, or anyone who was near the 9 ROK.

39mto39g 02-19-2004 11:19 AM

Scar

Ok, What is 9 ROK.
Rt 9 is in I corps, ROK marines are Koreans, But 9 ROK?

Ron

scarletto 02-19-2004 11:28 AM

one of the Korean Divisions (white horse division) went to Vietnam September 66. To join the Capital Division (Brave Tiger Division) who had gone there in 65