The Patriot Files Forums

The Patriot Files Forums (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Posts (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   style, Age & Functionality (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1494262)

HARDCORE 10-11-2018 02:34 PM

style, Age & Functionality

10-11-2018

No Longer Always Go Hand In Hand?”

When I was but a kid, car manufacturers always seemed to strive (and even hunger), for one of a kind design and muscle! As a matter of fact, you could even tell the make of any given car from blocks away! This is not to say, of course, that some flivers (cars) were not as ugly as sin, or even that others were a sweet-looking little ride that was always the belle of the ball!

“Oh, How We Did Love Our Cars!”

Nowadays however, most of the automobiles on the road look pretty much the same, at least to me? They all seem to appear to be designed to impress from the front (coming at you), but most of them seem to be abruptly cut off at the rear end, like the designers had totally run out of ideas! “Maybe It’s Just Me”, or perhaps these new cars (and the engineers who designed them as well), have far more interest today in mileage than they do in aesthetics, but I have still got to ask: “What in the Hell ever happened to the days when a car was really a car?” When your ride was something special to you, and not just a metallic carbon copy of everything else that is rumbling down the roads of life? Back to those times, in fact, when gasoline cost just about .29 cents a gallon and you could run a brand-new $3500 Ford or Chevy for a half a million miles (or more) without too much worry or concern, and usually on reclaimed oil at that?

Your old car (back then) was not merely a tool of travel - it was speed and flash that was beefed-up with a gas-guzzling, power plant, topped-off with that roaring muffler that was also neatly packaged-up under the hood of that mechanical monster that you so loved, almost like it was a member of your own immediate family! And this in turn was all rolled up into that conglomeration of mismatched gears, overly polished chrome, rubberized-tape, and mechanical muscle that you damned near tucked into bed with you every night, when, that is, you were not out roaring down the roads of life, or when life itself was really good to you, and you genuinely could afford to live every moment of it! “Maybe, and like that aging old car of yours, getting on in years is not really the whole problem with you either, whereas, not living every blessed minute of your life with real zeal, gusto and creativity is?”

Hardcore

Boats 10-12-2018 06:23 AM

HC - How true miss the old gals from back in the 50's. My favorite was a 56 Ford and my 60 Pontiac Catalina. Later I got a 65 Buick Rivera then it all went downhill. Now I drive an 07 Nitro and its been pretty good - but that was my last new car. Wife's old car is a 96 Chevy Cavalier 26K miles sits in the garage she doesn't drive any more perfect shape no rust the engine looks new under the hood. I drive it around the block to circulate the fluids and keep the tires from getting flat spots on them.

My very first car was a 52 Dodge what a tank all steel with hydro-drive. A clunker for the days when you didn't care what it look like it was a set of wheels.

Also went thru my motor cycle stage as well but those days are gone now. Balance isn't what is was back then I'd need a trike but the cost of those is way beyond my budget.

Boats

Just remembered we also had an old 46 Lincoln Zephyr 4-dr. (inline flat head) I think the pistons were really small ~1.25 to 1.5" diameters) had those seats made out of your old grandmothers sofa's. (267 cu in max. speed ~90 mph) manual on the column an ugly brown color. Also these older cars had thick steel panels and fenders and that is what added weight to the auto along with the smaller engine designs of the day. But they were built to last for sure.