The Patriot Files Forums

The Patriot Files Forums (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vietnam (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Coming Home (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34008)

DMZ-LT 03-16-2004 09:32 AM

Coming Home

Like Packo I don't really remember coming home. One second I was at Danang the next I was in Newark airport. Think I remember cheering when we took off but maybe not. . I emailed Tiny this news today and although he remembers his trip home he could understand. He said look at all we had been through, all the filth , all the stink, all the killing and all the being killed. We had walked through the jungle of hell and came out alive on the other side. After that all the rest was chicken shit , small stuff. Maybe he is right , I don't know. I do know I am glad to have met Tiny again after 33 years and honored to have fought with him. All you guys to. It gives me strength. Thank you all. Did I tell you I held my grand baby last night. Peace , one lucky Opa

Hoyin 03-16-2004 09:39 AM

Congrats!! Finding an old friend and becoming an Opa! You are a lucky man!

Whats the stats?

Hoyin

DMZ-LT 03-16-2004 10:09 AM

John Lawton Hager Guerro was born a month early on Nov29 ,03. Emergency C section. had to stay in the hospital for a week but got Johnny home weighing 5.5 lbs. Lisa , my daughter , Johnny and Steven , the Dad , all live with me. I almost explode with joy when I hold him. Never had a boy in the house and have learned to be fast covering him up when you take that diaper off. Tiny was a Sgt. in my Cav. unit. He lost both legs. Met him last fall for the first time in 33 years , he is my brother in arms forever. Thanks for asking

Andy 03-16-2004 10:37 AM

Lt

So, you took off from Saigon and landed in Newark and can?t remember it. In Saigon you were taller than average. Newark and Saigon have somewhat different smells. The working girls, not that you would know nor would I have first hand experience, were probably a bit more expensive in Newark. You can?t get decent clam chowder in either city. Residents in both cities were killing each other.
Lt, think I under why it was just a blur.

Kiss Johnny for me and Stay healthy,
Andy

sfc_darrel 03-16-2004 11:02 AM

Coming home

Making sure everybody was on the plane.

Some silly LT trying to take away our alcohol in Anchorage.

Getting off the plane in California. Don't want to remember that. Have only returned to that state for the sailor.

Home on April 1st.

39mto39g 03-16-2004 02:56 PM

Going home

Out of 244 guys that I went to VN from fort benning with , Through washington (Fort liewis) at the end of one year There were 4 of us from that flight a year ago that got on the air plane to go back to fort liewis, JD, JW, FF and me, Ya I remember comming home. I remember that I through up most of the day when I was home. Mom says , are you ok, Yea ma just fine.

Ron

DMZ-LT 03-16-2004 05:35 PM

Have a friend that went over as a unit. By 70 it was individual replacements. Lost guys I never knew were there very long by the afternoon. Ron would like to shake your hand on Psyco Mtn.

BLUEHAWK 03-16-2004 06:37 PM

Didn't know where home WAS LT!

I been confused...

It was here, and it was there, and it was who knew where...

dang

PHO127 03-17-2004 06:25 PM

Last time home I

Flew into Ft. Lewis, Got thru customs and to the Seattle Airport, I had a real taste for a nice slightly sour Daquari. Found a bar in the Airport and asked the bartender if he could mix one for me, he did and it tasted great. I then ordered a dozen of them and tossed them all down in a row. that was somewhere around 9am, I missed my next three flights out. Did you know that people tend to avoid a slightly inebriated Special Forces Captain.

exlrrp 03-18-2004 07:23 AM

Coming Home

I remember everyone cheering when the plane left the ground coming out of Cam Ranh. I said then that that was the last time I would ever see the place--turns out I was wrong about that also.
We got to Ft Lewis about 5 AM and had the steak dinner--fck the stake , what I wanted was fresh milk--stuck my head under the mechanicalo cow and bout drained the plastic udders dry.
When I hit SeaTac airport, the reservation clerk tol me they didn't have room in economy for me standby so she was putting me in first class--I was still too numb, only later did I realize that was a huge gift.
My family was waiting for me at SFO, at least 20 people. A tremendously moving experience. My mom had my favorite food, including a 6er of Coors.
later, after everyone else had left, my brothers and i smoked up some of the big bag of pot I had brought home in my jock (also had a pet .45 I had forgotten to turn in) and drank Coors and Jose Cuervo and talked story all night.
Later, all, I'm meeting David, later this morning.
James

James