The Patriot Files Forums

The Patriot Files Forums (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/index.php)
-   Korea (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Korean War? (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24561)

catman 12-28-2002 01:06 PM

Korean War?

I am not sure how many Korean veterans we have on this site, But I was wondering, as many have asked of Iraq vets, what is your take on the current situation with North Korea. Any thoughts and/or advice would be eagerly read by all.

Boats 03-12-2003 05:46 AM

catman,

I once reported that I didn't know a hell of alot about the Korean war. Saw some news reports and know it was one hell of a cold war (literally).

So I just picked up a book to read called: MacArthur's War Korea and the undoing of an Amerian Hero by Stanly Weintraub. In just three years 35,000 lost their lives with 6000 MIA's. I haven't gotten too far into the book but if I pick up more specifics I'll let you know.

I've also read that in VN the 12 year war cost 55,000 American lives with thousands more missing.

Conflicts or call them wars the cost are very high. It's a terrible burden to carry and hard on the families who are left with a hole in their hearts for the rest of their lives.

IN VN I lost several friends and a few school buddies. I've seen their families and they are just devastated. Iraq will cost lives as well on both sides but it has to be done. Radicals or eccentrics like these must be taken out and the cost to do this is hard to conceive. Yet down the road these lives are often times forgotten because no one wants to open old wounds.

I recall my Dad and Uncle talking about WWII and my Grandpa about WWI. They could remember some of the funny things that happen but when it came to the killing of other's or seeing their friends killed this made them speechless.

Shit happens and lives are lost. By the grace of God they will be remembered by those of us who were in conflicts and to those who gave their lives I salute them and regret their passing but its also hard on those who came back as they carry these pictures everyday. Flashbacks - some in color can make you sweat just like you were there. They become part of your everyday life and at times you shudder (like your cold) for no apparant reason but doctors can tell you why it happens.

Another conflict with NK and other's will carry the same losses and bring back more memories to those who fight there. I always used to say I'd rather fight there than have our folks see what war can do. OK and 9/11 have given our folks a quick idea of what terrible things our people will go through - like many others in the world have already been exposed to - and many for years - Israel for example. Conflict is real - it takes lives and even those who are non-combants.

This concept of perpetual war or conflicts have been going on for years. I don't know too many that haven't particapated in one or more conflicts. I want peace - but I also want our people safe. If this means a 100 year war it will end some day.

catman 03-12-2003 11:55 AM

Boats...thanks for your commits, as usual they are right on target.

Trav

the humper 04-14-2003 10:19 PM

BOATS!!!!

Close, but the MIA's are in excess of 8,000. CILHI has been working N & S K, for several years. They found two in 2000, south of the DMZ that was in 1 batt. and we didn't even know were missing. But in l998, we were apprised of same and got them to do two digs. (It's usually the other way around) they want let you near the site, but we gave them the location and sent people who were in the firefight with them and even pointed out the location of the holes we were in. So maybe in time, we will have given two families more information and the remains. 52 years this April 24th. And you are so correct, at 30 below, it's colder than a well diggers aaaaaas. You just can't get warm in that kind of weather when your out in it, in a hole, basically 24/7. !!!!!!
SF
NC

widowmaker 04-25-2003 10:47 PM

N.Korea...

Catman

From about late 1951 through 1953, the NKPA along with the
CCF, created defense lines every fifteen miles back to the Yalu.
After the cease fire in July, 1953, the Chinese stayed for another
two years, re-training the depleted NKPA and hardening the defenses, which consist of trenches, bunkers and hollowed out
mountains. They have created one hell of a defense in depth,
and cracking that nut would be one hell of a Military Operation.

MORTARDUDE 04-25-2003 11:26 PM

Have been fortunate..

to have had an uncle on my mother's side who served in Korea.
Have talked to him at length about his combat experience with the North Koreans and the Red Chinese. To say it was brutal...does not begin to cover it...If Truman had not been so affected by the two atom bombs he had to drop to end WW2, the outcome in the Korean War might have been much diffferent...
possibly at least to have kept all of Korea free..of course MacArthur wanted to drop 50+ nukes on Communist China...Thank God we had the General available...if not, the cost in American lives would have been much greater...If a war ever starts there again I believe it will go nuclear rather quickly...The North can obliterate Seoul in a matter of minutes by conventional
artillery, gas, and rockets, without nukes...and I am sure they have a horde of spies and mischief makers pre-positioned to cause maximum havoc....The are Totally Psychotic...only way to put it....

Larry

the humper 04-26-2003 04:26 AM

IF!!!!!!!!!!

the pen, is still mightier than the sword, then as McArthur said" you've never had to face an automatic weapon".
SF
NC

Flip Fraser 04-26-2003 05:28 AM

I think Truman blew it when he "fired" MacArthur.Like Gen.Patton,MacArthur wanted to go after the Chinesse.It would have been interesting to see how that would have played out.I think Truman started us down the road of appeasement and a no win situation.
The bad weather did have an effect on us,hot summers and very cold winters.Hemoragic fever played hell too.
Flip

widowmaker 04-26-2003 10:03 AM

You credit MacArthur with more than his due. After the success of
Inchon, it was one tactical and organizational blunder after another. Designating his perfumed prince Genl. Almond to command one half of a split force, along with Gen.Willoghby and the entire intelligence staff ignoring battle field intelligence, when both ROK Formations and Marines reported taking Chinese prisoners, advancing with the Taebok Mts. seperating his forces.

widowmaker 04-26-2003 10:14 AM

Prior to every tactical move, The General would fly to Korea and publicly announce his strategy, forewarning the enemy.
Probably the most agregious blunder was insisting on the Marine landing at Wonsan, delaying the execution of an envelopment that could have trapped the exhausted NKPA and destroyed them, leaving them to escape and fight again.