The Patriot Files Forums

The Patriot Files Forums (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Posts (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Live from Chile, its exlrrp! (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107327)

exlrrp 01-18-2009 02:58 PM

Live from Chile, its exlrrp!

Well folks, in my never ending attempt to stagger all the way around the world, I now find myself in Puerto Montt, Chile. Came down here to visit my son, who owns a sports bar in Santago. (basicbar.net) its typical karma for me to have a son who owns a bar....and I don´t drink.
Got down here on Friday, then spent the next two days in valparaiso-Vina Del Mar. This is a terrific place, the best South American country Ive been to, which incude Ecuador, Colombia and Peru.people here are very sophisticated and modern, friendly.
Flew down here today from Santiago, staying at a plush hotel for cheap. Dan and I are going to the island of Chiloe tommorrow, its one of the world´s places.
I´ll be back in the US on the 26th and will only be able to add to this peripatetically, but, as those who know me well know, I´ll be posting pictures when I get back
Just wanted to say hi to all those who are my friends and a sincere ´"Bese mis nalgas!" to those who arent
Stay bueno
james

QM3steve 01-18-2009 03:29 PM

Just checked it out. Looks like a nice place. Enjoy.

Seascamp 01-18-2009 04:45 PM

What then, trying to pump some life into "shining Path". They will kill your ass if you even try.

82Rigger 01-18-2009 05:50 PM

Chile, eh?

Is that where they have those women wrestling in dresses, petticoats and bowler hats? Cholitas?

bOOger would like that! :)

1CAVCCO15MED 01-18-2009 08:54 PM

I hope it is 100 degrees and you are sweating like a race horse. LOL

Keith_Hixson 01-18-2009 10:34 PM

It's Summer Down There

Hot and Sunshine.
You won't be able to make it in Oregon again.

Keith

exlrrp 01-19-2009 04:36 AM

Chile really makes it

Thanks for responding, guys
I came down here wondering what my son sees in the place and am starting to see it. There´s real opportunity down here in SA. Its been 35 years since I was here last and its changed a lot. You hardly see any of the grinding poverty that used to be everywhere. Even most of the meanest shacks have electricity and antennas on them. M0st of the people are at least up in the bottom of the middle class. Cell phones are as common as in America
My son Dan first came down here in 2000 as an exchange student. The family he stayed with virtually adopted him, now he´s like their own son, helped him get started here. Personally, the two handiest things I ever learned in school were Spanish and trigonometry.
Although our economy is not doing well, the dollar is actually rising against some foreign currencies. The Chilean peso last year was about 500 to one dollar---now its about 640, which makes the dollar worth about 20% more.
There´s also less American tourists traveling and less tourists in general, which means some great discounts---the hotel we´re staying in here in Pt Montt, if in San Francisco, would be easily about $350--400----here its about $110 for a double.
Another thing: Chileans are generally real friendly people. Theyve forgiven Americans for foisting Pinochet and decades of dictatorship on them, which I consider downright sporting of them. there was a reason for the Shining Path, which was, by the way, in Bolivia and Peru---they didn´t have a chance against Pinochet. There´s still a Communist party here, tho small.
No, thats all in the past, same as Vietnam. people just want to get along now, the primary motive worldwide is to make a buck.
The internet sure has changed travel considerably, in making reservations, checking flights, even finding retaurants. Its everywhere, now and its a great equalizer---puts us all on the same playing field, communication wise
Where we are now was colonized by Germans in the 1800s and you can still see traces of this culture, like building styles, along with the native MApuche tribe
Stay bueno, all
James

Packo 01-19-2009 05:35 AM

James...

Wondered where "on earth" you've been. Do they have good chilli in Chile??? I'll bet the food is great. Is it somewhat like Mexican? I remember being recruited by a former Col. named Hoare to "work" in SA, but can't remember if it was Chile or Argentina. For some reason I think it was Chile. This was in 71'. So glad your out of the winter here and getting to see your son. Got a great video from Doc Fred I'm going to send to you but now, will wait until your home for awhile and get through all your email.

Have a great time!

ABU!

Pack

David 01-19-2009 06:06 AM

Have fun James :)

SEATJERKER 01-19-2009 08:16 AM

Not gathering moss,...

...GEEZ James, Have you stopped rolling since Georgia last year, you sure ain't gathering any moss,...

...Only thing to say is "Enjoy yourself", you've earned it,...

...Be well, and post up pic's when you can,...

...James,"THE OFFICAL PSYCOVETS AMBASSADOR",...

...leaps small countries in a single bound,...