The Patriot Files Forums

The Patriot Files Forums (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Posts (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   our trip to germany in June is a go ... (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34855)

MORTARDUDE 04-29-2004 06:18 AM

our trip to germany in June is a go ...

Looks like we will be going to Bamberg, Germany for 3 weeks in June. Just wondered if anyone has spent a significant amount of time in Germany in the past 15 years or so, and can give me some tips about traveling there. Thanks.

Larry

DMZ-LT 04-29-2004 06:54 AM

Larry , I was stationed in Erlangen 35 years ago but I bet things have changed a little.Having said that I bet a Euro pass on the trains are still a good way to get around. Enjoyed meeting you and yes I have quit driving when I was to drunk to walk !! :a:

SEATJERKER 04-29-2004 08:41 AM

Larry,...

...Their actually going to let you out of this country, and into another,,,WHOA,,, scary thought, wear your tee-shirt, bring your meds, and hand them out, and they should be safe for the duration of your trip,...

...do not talk about turkey vulture farts, and do not, I repeat DO NOT MENTION ANYTHING ABOUT "DELIVERENCE", and you should make it back intact,...

...enjoy your trip, but do not trip, and if they greet you with a kiss on the cheek, do not swap tongues,...

...Be well,...

bandito 04-29-2004 09:59 AM

The company I work for sent me over there about 8 yrs ago and I was stationed over there in 1968 before going to Southeast Asia-if you drive on the autobahn ,do not get in the fast lane unless you have something that will travel over 150mph-do not use the bathroom on the train if it is stopped at a station-do not run into any honeywagons-do drink all the fine beer and schnapps that you possibly can tolerate and enjoy their fine food.do not smoke any over their hashish

PHO127 04-29-2004 01:01 PM

Spent 3 years with the 10thSF

At Bad Toltz in the Bavarian Alps. Traveled over most of Southern Germany, By all means go to Heidleburg and Munich, Past that you seen one gothic church you seen them all. Rotenburg is good, Stuttgart is the home of Porche, Manfred Rommel was lord Mayor of Stuttgart when I was there (son of Erwin Rommel). A lot of nice small villages along the Neckar River. The Danube river flows through Ulm Germany, very nice. The beer is excellent, Not carbonated like american beer and about 18%. You got to watch out for the grape juice they put something in it.

reconeil 04-29-2004 01:45 PM

Dude...

Can't help you out, even though once stationed in Bamberg. Things must have changed drastically since 57-58. Hell, maybe The LaPaloma watering hole doesn't even exist anymore?

I probably wouldn't even recognize Kitzingen (previously stationed there 56-57)?

Regardless, and since somethings never change,...I would suggest your staying-away from Steinhager and Doppelbock: "Boilermakers", even though their White-lightnin is truly smooth, and their BLACK beer is even smoother than regular bock beer.

But, one New Years eve, and at a time when about 15 or so: "Flip tops" was my normal consumption in town,...3 such: "Boilermakers" forced my buddies to carry me back to the barracks. Hell,...I didn't even know what country I was in. :cd:

Whatever,...stay awake and have a good time. ;) ;) ;)

Neil

Dragon Lady 04-29-2004 03:34 PM

Larry,
I work with several folks from Germany. I can get some good info for you. What area were you planning on hitting? The Rhein River Valley and their very scrumptious wines/beers or the Black Forest Region and their delicious foods and crafts or are you planning on hitting the cities for the museums and historical sights?
There is so much to do and see!

DL

MORTARDUDE 04-29-2004 05:32 PM

DL :

It is our first trip to Europe. The temptation will be to over-do it and try to do way too much. I think we will concentrate on Germany and maybe go to Italy. I would like to fly into Amsterdam and spend the night..I have to see the red light disctrict and go to a marijuana restaurant....LOL ( I will not be partaking.. my wife will be along..LOL ) Our host is going to let us stay in the house next door whose bachelor-owner is in Iraq with her husband ( Capt. US Army Engineers )...she will be our tour guide and chef..I am really concerned about the autobahns..I will not be driving there at all..I hope we can use the trains a lot..There is a great deal in Bavaria I am interested in. We may make a side trip to Czechoslovakia or France...as for beer...my God... there must be a million kinds over there !!! I tolerate the 18% black beer, but it has to be real cold..I am more of a Heineken fan...I love all German food. I am still in shock that this is happening !!! Thanks for all the info.

Larry

Drywall 04-30-2004 10:43 AM

Way back when I was there, the beer was all served warm. Room temp. But it tasted good that way. Heidleburg Castle is unbelievable. The Autobahns aren't that bad. Slow traffic does "keep right" there...by law.

Amsterdam? Canal street? no comment :)

catman 04-30-2004 10:54 AM

Larry...has been many years since i was in Germany. Would absolutely love to go back and travel East Germany (wall was still up when I was there) Take many pics and post all. Can't wait to hear about the adventure!

Trav