The Patriot Files Forums

The Patriot Files Forums (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/index.php)
-   New Members (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   New member (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111643)

longrange1947 10-07-2009 09:07 AM

Checking in as a new member of this board. Spent 23 years in SF and retired form SF in 1990. Saying howdy to all here.

David 10-07-2009 09:10 AM

Welcome to the site. That is in interesting avatar.

longrange1947 10-07-2009 09:20 AM

Thank you.

Whale 10-07-2009 11:25 AM

Welcome aboard.:cool:

longrange1947 10-08-2009 12:04 PM

Thank you for the welcomes.

Guess I'll throw my bio out there. Joined the army on Okinawa in June of 1967 and was supposed to go to OCS in Nov of 67. However, my class date was cancelled and in AIT at Fort Ord a guy in a funny looking green hat said I wouldn't make it in his unit. Decided to prove him wrong and the next thing I knew I was sitting in Jump School at Benning and then SFTG(A) at Bragg, by the time I was supposed to be in OCS. Spent from then until I retired in SF. Went to 10th Group Devens and then 1st Group Oki. Went back to Devens in 74 and then down to 3/7 Panama. Back to 10th Group in Devens and back to Panama early 80s for a period in El SAl. Went to SEC to help start SOTIC and in 89 went to 7th Group and Just Cause. Retired in 90 and worked contracts in Saudi Arabia with the Royal Guard for the protection of the Royal Family. In 94 returned to SOTIC as a contract instructor and have been there ever since. Had good times, fun times and not so fun times but all counted.

Look forward to seeing how you guys post aroudn here. :)

Boats 10-20-2009 07:21 AM

Welcome aboard

Saw an interesting WWII special the other day on sniper scopes and found that the Russian scope was simple and could quickly be sited in - compared to any other high tech scopes even today. I'm not a sniper but an average shooter for sport - but I found this interesting. The simplicity of a scope adjustment for targeting could be sited in just three shots. Most were taking 5 or more.

I'm not sure how long it takes to site in most scopes - but I know my 30.06 took about 6 shots to site in most of the time.

I'm also curious about cold whether siting practices as compared to warm weather shooting and how that affects ones ability to site accurately in the climate changes. Can you enlighten me - Thanks

longrange1947 10-20-2009 04:30 PM

Boats - We sight in with only 5 round shot groups to insure accuracy. Normal zero drill for us at 100 or 200 meters is to fire a single shot after bore sighting to insure we hit paper and can record a sight adjustment. We will then make a half change, as an example, if the estimate si that we move the need 6 minutes of angle (moa) adjustment, we will do only three and fire an other single shot. From that second shot we will make another required adjustment and then shoot a three round group to see if we are in the ball park. A final adjustment and we fire a confirmation 5 round group. All other groups will be 5 round groups after that. You get a better feel for the mean point of impact from 5 rounds then you do with three.

Our ammo comes from the Army and we do not have to be stingy as if we have bought our own. Plus our guys will try hard to make some bad guys head swell up and spew brains out the back.

Cold weather has effects on the bullet as the air is slightly denser and thus will cause the bullet to strike slightly lower. The effect on the shooter is personal and varies fomr shooter to shooter but a disciplined shooter should not really show any effects at all. Have a buddy who shoots at the Yakima in Washington state in the winter all the time. (personnally I think he is a bit touched but then again he retired as a SF Major so what can I say? :D)

Hope I answered your questions, if not then ask away and I will do what I can to answer them. Just got off the range with a the students, they were shooting 500 to 800 meters today and seemed to be doing well. But you know Army guys, give them guns and bullets and they are happy. :)

DMZ-LT 10-20-2009 05:13 PM

Welcome here 47 , bunch of us born in 47

longrange1947 10-20-2009 07:07 PM

Thank you for the welcome! :)