The Patriot Files Forums

The Patriot Files Forums (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vietnam (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Advice Needed Asap (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24866)

10CAVMEDIC 01-23-2003 10:53 AM

Advice Needed Asap

I'm deploying in a few days. I was wondering if y'all had any good advice on survival tactics or engaging the enemy. I know we have FM's and all that but y'all know the most because you've been there. Anything would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
PFC Wheatley
1-10 CAVALRY US ARMY

DMZ-LT 01-23-2003 11:13 AM

May God hold you in his hands and protect you. Stay alert at all times , watch the guy to your right and left , stay low and keep moving. EVERYONE loves the Doc , take care of them and they will take care of you. Thank you for serving. Let us know how it went when you get back. Scouts Out ! DMZ-LT 3/5 Cav 70 - 71 RVN

Andy 01-23-2003 12:08 PM

Lt said it

Lt said it, I'll say it a different way. When your tired or bored, even when you see people around you half stepping, fight the urge. If your moving in a combat zone, except that as your taking that next step something real serious is going to happen.
When set up for the night, know that this is the night your unit will be hit.
Constant fear isn't a good thing but being alert and ready for a fearful encounter is a life saver.
Everytime you thing, "Screw it, I'm tired." Remember, your going to have a life time lay on a sofa watching TV or falling asleep. If you just screw it in combat your chances of having a "lifetime" just got reduced.
Now just relax to the max while you can and know your going to make it. Good luck my friend.
STAY HEALTHY,
Andy

Boats 01-23-2003 12:12 PM

Don't worry about anything you don't have any control over!
Remember your training.
Watch your back and position at all times.
Keep your ammo dry and at the ready.
Don't forget to lock and load.
Wear your flack jacket and helmet.
Other than that you should be just fine.

Don't worry your instinct will take over.
Hear incoming - duck and cover.

You're not alone we are all with you in one form or another
and we are proud that you are serving our country. Don't
worry you aren't missing a thing back stateside - it was here
when you left and it will be here when you get back.

Stay safe and God Bless

David 01-23-2003 12:24 PM

I'll second what everyone has said, Stay Alert Stay Alive. Pay special attention to those in country that have been there before. Use common sense and trust your feelings, you have been trained very well for the mission you are about to undertake. May God grant you and your unit a safe return home.

catman 01-23-2003 12:49 PM

Listen to these guys, they have been there and done it for a lot longer than me and David. One thing I think David will concur is if you are going to the Middle East, drink as much as you can, as often as you can and take a bath or shower as often as possible.

And for God's sake, watch those Camel Spiders, Kagaroo Rats, and those big f****** lizards that bury themselves in the sand, their bite hurts like hell.

If you have been in the unit for any time at all, you know who "has it together" and who to stay away from. Stick with the guys that know and you should be ok.

Sorry that I am not going with you, stay low, and grow an extra set of eyes in the back of your head. Godspeed brother, and God bless.

Trav

masher51 01-23-2003 01:26 PM

Survial

Can't add much to what has been said,Just stay alert and Keep Real Low!
God Speed to You
Masher

phuloi 01-23-2003 02:20 PM

Lots of Good Advice

1 Attachment(s)
Pack plenty of ammo and a pair of dry socks..and when your squad leader yells 'Get Down',don`t jump up and start dancin! Go with God,Young Warrior,and remember we love you and appreciate what you are doing for us. Mabe get yourself a St.Christopher medal for guidance.

Boats 01-23-2003 02:22 PM

Two last things:

A. Go to the warriors saloon and down load all the jokes and take them with you.

B. Keep a sense of humor and a positive attitude at all times no
matter how bad you feel or lonely you get. People will read off each other and depressed people can bring others down as well.

Take care and like LT let us know how you're doing and send us an e-mail if at all possible - we'll all be waiting to hear from you.

SweetSue 01-23-2003 03:34 PM

I have no idea what you should do.
Just know that I wll be praying for you.
Take care and God bless

Susan