The Patriot Files Forums

The Patriot Files Forums (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vietnam (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Rumors and war stories (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23748)

DMZ-LT 10-10-2002 06:46 AM

Rumors and war stories

x-grunt gave me a copy of , and I just reread " The things they carried " by Tim O'Brien, 1990. Concerning war stories, I have several versions in my head about the day I shot a guy two inches from the muzzel of my rifle. Don't mean nothing , James , stories are not absolute or unchanging. Concerning rumors O'Brien writes of a guy who gets his girlfriend over to Bitnam , to his FSB, and she turns into a killer and slips into the jungle never to be seen again. Not probable but possible. In my AO the rumor was two Marines , one white , one black , had deserted years ago and were now leading NVA units through the DMZ and teaching them how we set up etc. They were called Salt and Pepper and were spotted all the time by other units. We were looking for them all the time but never saw them but we all believed they were out there. Not probable but possible. Any other rumors out there y'all remember ? Some people pay $200 an hour for a shrink and I can come here and post for much less - thanks. Welcome home to all the brothers. :a:

Doc.2/47 10-10-2002 10:43 AM

Memory is a very funny thing.Example:Spend 1yr. in the Nam then spend the next 10-20yrs. haveing nightmares about it.When you look back are you remembering real events that seemed like a nightmare,nightmares that seemed very real,or some combination of the two?I'm not always all that sure.

In my unit at one time there was a rumor that the VC had offered a large cash bounty for anyone who would come over to their side.To prove that you were truely sincere in your desire for a job change you were required to bring the heads of one or more GI's.Of course, a separate bounty would be paid for all heads after the first.I would never have believed that anyone would fall for this kind of scam but apparently one guy did.He had been drinking heavily and got to talking about how our country and the Army weren't treating us right,that the VC were the only true patriots left,etc.,etc..Nobody took him very seriously-told him to sleep it off-and he did get quiet for awhile but didn't lay down.Suddenly he lunged accross the hooch and grabbed up an M-60.He was jerking on the chargeing handle when one of the guys applied an M-79 a couple of times to his head and face.This calmed him down considerably and he was still unconscious when I treated him and sent him out(strapped securely to a litter).All present told the same story and his injuries were consistent with what I was told.

1CAVCCO15MED 10-10-2002 12:18 PM

I talked to a grunt that said he had killed an American speaking blond guy who was fighting on the other side. The grunt said the guy was wounded and was asking for help. He said he helped him with his M-16.

39mto39g 10-10-2002 12:28 PM

Rumors

I heard this rumor that we were going to Hue with the 101st during tet 68. Yea right, thats a Marine thing,
We went.
Ron

colmurph 10-10-2002 02:20 PM

Heard the same "Folklore"

when I was over there. People in I Corps were always talking about seeing a "Marine Captain Deserter" who was leading the NVA the same way we were using the "Kit Carson Scouts". Heard numerous people claim that they "Shot this guy" while they were on patrol. (were there more than one?) Still hear the story in VFW posts today. One guy who told me the story and that he had "Shot him" worked in a civilian law enforcement agency with me. I did some checking and found out that this guy was a Helicopter Mechanic in Chu-Lai when he was in country, so very doubtful that he was ever on patrol and ever heard a shot fired in anger. I think this BS story was all over VN and the origin and service of the "American" varied to fit the local circumstances.

Now as far as that "Folklore" story about Ann Margaret not wearing anything under that Mini-Skirt at the 1968 Chu-Lai, Bob Hope Christmas Show, so the guys in wheelchairs in the first row would get a treat, I WAS THERE!!!!! LOL.

ArtySgt 10-10-2002 02:20 PM

red headed G.I. turn coat

There was a rumor of a Red headed guy who was a " thump gunner " M-79. Never saw him myself but was on the receiving end of very accurate 79 granade fire a couple of times. Ofcourse it could have been anyone out there. Guy was really good thow.

DMZ-LT 10-10-2002 05:49 PM

Col. you got me smiling - thank you. Even before Sharon Stone . Pulled security for a Bob Hope Show in 71 . Arty sgt they had 79's for sure - not sure why - that RPG - 7 was a mother

PHO127 10-10-2002 07:19 PM

ArtySgt

Had to smile, Had not heard the term Thump Gunner in a long time. Remember having to go in and pick up a NVA/POW once that a Thumper on point had met. Thumper had his 79 pointed at the guy and the NVA had his AK across his body. Thumper said the NVA looked at the 79 then at his AK and back to the 79,, Slowly raised his hands.

Wazza 10-10-2002 11:11 PM

Outstanding replies. I have to agree with Sid, it got me smiling, too. Great medicine.

Reminded me of corp training when I fired an M-79, still under the weather from the previous night. Definitely not prepared fot it and it sat me on my arse.

b3196 10-11-2002 05:58 AM

Colmurph
There was a black and white photo of Ann Margret floating around
that was taken when she was on tour. The picture was blurry. Maybe we were just getting our hopes up, But it sure looked liked there was nothing on under there.
Bob K