The Patriot Files Forums

The Patriot Files Forums (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/index.php)
-   Warfare (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   War - Films + Accuracy? (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30848)

BLUEHAWK 10-27-2003 10:58 AM

War - Films + Accuracy?

To our warriors and historians and film buffs:

WHICH specific films about any war(s) do YOU regard as being true to life, accurate, sicker than hell, the worst distortion since the burning of the Reichstag, etcetera???? If you care to say in what way, then so much the better.

(Especially, myself, interested in films about Vietnam, WW II & uncivil War of Rebellion, but ALL nominees are welcome and instructive)

:q: :af:

revwardoc 10-28-2003 06:49 AM

Hollywood and historical accuracy is...

<LABEL id=HbSession SessionId="2252533316">an oxymoron. Hollywood concerns itself only with fantasy and entertainment and reality be damned. But, since you asked, here's my list of fairly well-done Hollywood war films.</LABEL>

<LABEL SessionId="2252533316">Drums Along the Mohawk, All Quiet on the Western Front, Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, 12 O'Clock High, The Duelists, Stalag 17, A Bridge Too Far, The Last of the Mohigans (with Daniel Day Lewis), and...for all you gyrenes who made read this...any episode of Gomer Pyle, USMC!</LABEL>:D

And before you can say it, No Time for Sergeants:c:

sfc_darrel 10-28-2003 07:19 AM

Some good :)
some accurate :ai:
some inaccurate :ad:
some bad :az:
some propaganda mostly from the anti-war side :cl:
the documentaries and documentaries are the worst :af:

BLUEHAWK 10-28-2003 11:24 AM

Venturing where no airman dare tread, once again, among the ones that struck me as being at least close to emotionally true was FULL METAL JACKET, we had a guy in Basic named himself "Bojack", looked like Yul Brynner, banged his head against his foot locker and laughed about pain, one helluva confidence course man, shoulda been a Marine... but I can imagine the scenario of FULL METAL... happening in a quicky minute under just the right conditions...

BLUEHAWK 10-29-2003 05:08 AM

Darrel -

What makes documentaries the worst, to your way of seeing them?

I have some notions about it, but what are yours?

Jerry D 10-29-2003 10:51 PM

The Movie I think was pretty close was "Fire Base Gloria" staring Lee Ermey about part of the Tet Offensive. I think he portrays a Sgt. the most accurate IMHO.

usmcsgt65 11-02-2003 06:29 PM

On a Vietnam theme, "The Boys of Company C" is so bad. Hollywood should pay us everytime it apears on TV. I like the movie "We Were Soldiers". It was basically factual and gave a good showing of combat for Hollywood.

Jerry D 11-02-2003 06:39 PM

Yes I agree!! also Mel Gibson does a great job putting historical accuracy into the movies he is involved with. The Officer he portrayed was the type I would want leading me if I had been in that situation. Because the actual officer refused to abandon his men on that hill he was sent home and taken from command of the unit he started. But I think they still promoted him because of all the publicity of the action taken place in "We Were Soldiers" Once! :a: