The Patriot Files Forums

The Patriot Files Forums (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vietnam (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   I Have Two (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35342)

frisco-kid 05-26-2004 05:46 PM

I Have Two

While looking through one of my dresser drawers I discovered that I still had two T-shirts, with the Tiger Beer logo on them, that I'd brought back from Nam last year. They are tagged XXL but, realistically, they're probably equal to a LARGE in U.S. size. If anybody is interested, PM me your address and they're yours. I have one green and one navy blue.

The logo is pretty cool. Who'da thunk that Tiger Piss would become the premium beer in Nam :r: ? It's a very good one, too. A smooth pale ale. I guess it has a pretty wide international distribution, and has won some brewing awards. They, for sure, re-did the recipe from when we were drinking it warm outta those tall, clear glass bottles.

Bill Farnie 05-26-2004 06:08 PM

Frisco,

Is Tiger Beer the one with the 33 on the label?

frisco-kid 05-26-2004 07:16 PM

BILL

No, 33 [Ba Moui Ba] was different. It was in a brown, 12oz., bottle. Seemed like no two bottles tasted quite the same. Rumor had it that it was called 33 because it was 33% formaldehyde :D . Wouldn't surprise me if it was true. Ba Moui Ba was the most common native beer there.

Tiger Beer was in a tall [20oz.?], clear bottle. If I remember right, it had a full-bodied picture of a tiger on it. It wasn't a paper label, either. It was embossed on the bottle. I think all of the writing was in Vietnamese. Didn't know the real name of it. Everybody called it "TIGER PISS." Now it's in a 12oz. brown bottle. It's actually called "TIGER BEER," in English. The logo is just the head of the tiger. Like I said, a good beer. Ask Doc Fred. I sent him a bottle.

P.S. There is no "33" now. It's called "333." A new generation, I guess. Or, more formaldehyde :D . I tried it, but liked the Tiger Beer better.

Packo 05-27-2004 05:21 AM

Frisco,

I agree with the sizeing of those shirts. Even "large" is a relative term.

Packo

colmurph 05-27-2004 08:53 AM

There was another brand in Vietnam that we used to drink called Beer LaRoue. Wasn't too bad. The Ba Muy Ba was really bad stuff as it wasn't pasturized and there will still live organisims swimming around in it from the river water that they used to either make the stuff or wash their bottles with. I know of more than one guy who got dysentery from drinking it. Tiger Beer was pretty good stuff.

frisco-kid 05-27-2004 03:13 PM

GONE

Both shirts are spoken for. Two people PMd me at the butt crack of dawn [on the west coast] this morning. You know who you are, check your PMs.

Thanks, Murph :ae: . BEER LaROUE! I knew there was a third one, and I couldn't recall it. Yeah, the "33" was pretty bad. Would often give a "I Wish I Would Die" hangover, too.

39mto39g 05-27-2004 04:38 PM

beer

Black lable
Ron

frisco-kid 05-27-2004 06:50 PM

:y: Carling Black Label! I'd rather drink Ba Moui Ba. THAT'S some skunky beer, especially hot. After my first go-round, a Black Label has never crossed my lips again.

MORTARDUDE 05-27-2004 08:39 PM

We were near a small 'ville for a week or so ( around March 1970 ) will find the name...and it was the only timethat I can remember in my tour. We were able to walk thru and talk to the villagers and I even got a haircut. Several of the young troopers had a meal of canned mackeral and Tiger Beer, or so they said. Who knows what they really ate and drank. Anyway... they had temps near 102+ and were sick as dogs for 3 days. I think one was medevaced. Needless to say I didn't go in the 'ville again, much less eat or drink any native stuff. They were some real sick dudes...

Larry

Desdichado 05-29-2004 01:39 PM

oooooh, too many memories of the infamous "black label cable". You just can't get your butt clean after laying one of those. :(