Thread: Chu Lai
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2005, 06:03 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Re: Chu Lai

Quote:
Originally posted by 39mto39g The thing In remember most about chu lai was two things , ok 3 things.
1. was the 175s damm they were loud.
2. the A4s, they were small, fast and deadly
3. the booby traps, just about every time we went outside the wire we got someone hurt with one . Unless we went north, but then, we never went north, because that would be in the water.
For those that were in Chu Lai and never got off the base this may come as a shock, but Chu Lai was on the coast.

Next stop, Tam Ky.

Ron
Ron, you nust have been following my trail--first Duc Pho, then Chu Lai, then Tam Ky.
I'll always rmember Chu Lai as being where my infantry platooon shed the most blood. Ive told the story of Imrie, it happened there. We had 2 men drown trying to cross a swollen river.
It was the only place and time in the war that I saw lines of men attacking us. This meant that they had their shit really well together and were quite confident. The rain was holding back resupply and medevac.
These same folks--what we used to call the 5th NVA Mech---then went over to Hue and took the place over during Tet a few months later. Guess that means we didn't do them all that much damage.
I knew Chu Lai was onthe beach, one of our few days off was spent there.
Stay good
james