Thread: Chu Lai
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 09:08 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default That was us

Quote:
Originally posted by rotorwash James, when you mentioned two men drowning in a river, it rang a bell. In late 67 we were resupplying 1/327 (I think) around Tam Ky. Their bn cp was on a ridge line. At one point we were asked to resupply ammo to Tiger located at the bottom of the ridge along a river. We hovered over the grass and kicked out the bullets. When we got back to the ridge we learned that they had been making bets on whether we would get driven off by sa fire or shot down. Seems that for a couple of days aircraft had not been able to get in to Tiger. They also asked us about sling loading two rubber rafts in so they could cross a river where they had lost a couple of men drowned. We couldn't do it. In the chow line I ran into a guy who had been in the next bunk in the hospital at Cam Rahn Bay. He was missing some teeth, easy to recognize.

I experienced my most embarrising moment ever at Tam Ky in early 68, I'll post it.

Rotor
RW
That had to be us--Abu cmpany, 1st/327. This would have been late Sept, mayybe OCt '67.
THE Rivers were swollen from all the rain. We were patrolling down in the flats. After the 2 guys drowned, they ferried us over the river in slicks--what a waste of 2 good men but that was the 101st for you. Get it right the 2d time
In terms of where we actually were, you got me--iit was somewhere around Tam Ky. I never saw a large scale map of this area. It was where we ran into the most VC/NVA in my time in that platoon. They had their shit reallyy well together and played the weather like an ally. Thats why I saw liines of men attacking--they knew we coouldn't get air cover and were giving it their best shot, pardon the pun.
Reading much later determined that these were the same people who went north and took over HUE during Tet. This was their staging ground and they used us for field exerciises to warm up with
STAy good
James