View Single Post
Old 02-17-2006, 11:17 AM

Jerry - it's a shame - but once they are gone we can never talk with them or know what they are thinking about any longer. The WWII Vets are really thinning out and soon it will be the Korean and VN followed by our newest Vets.

We loose so much history with the passing of each individual. Now we loose the Grey Ghost whose passing we can only reflect on based on what has been written about him.

Each year at the Veterans and Memorial get together's I see more and more of these great people disappearing. Yes they do fade away and only a few of us have been lucky enough to shake their hand and look them in the eye while they were alive.

Only then do you feel their strength and see in their eyes the wisdom of having been there and gone through such an ordeal.

I appreciate the older Vets. They are truly often overlooked and thats a shame as we are all moving into their shadows as each year passes. Moments in history only to be replaced by others for their moment in history. It's a sad day each time we loose one.

All those in my family including myself have served. Now gone is my Grand-Father, Dad, Uncle and Brother - but they did their time. I can only hope they will come for me when my time comes.

God bless all the old soldier's and God protect the new ones.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote