View Single Post
Old 11-29-2002, 06:59 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Thanksgiving Day 1969 Vietnam

In a thicket of small scrubs and bamboo, fog and very heavy. overcast, rainning lightly. Had dug us our holes for the night. Two
platoons had been on patrol and had just got back for the day, a chopper landed with hot turkey and gravy dressing, cold milk, coffee. it was in the mermite(?) cans and hot.Then they gave us one(1) issue paper plate,white in color.The food was served from the can to each and everyone in the field.Now by the time it took you to leave your position and get a plate and get back to your open position(only 3 guys from each platoon could leave at a time)your plate had a nice waterhole sitting in the bottom of that by now very wet paper plate. Now to get some of all the goodies you had to sling your weapon so both hands could be free.So now you have in one hand a Thanksgiving Dinner and in the other hand a canteen cup full of black strong hot coffee.You find you a spot where you can have a little quiet and give thanks to the almighty that you can still be there to enjoy it,that you are still in the game, cold, wet, lonely, scared but not hunger. I eat my meal and was a proud American, still am.

Delta Company"Black Death" 3/21st 196th Light Infantry Brigade Americal Division working off LZ Center I Corp