View Single Post
Old 06-05-2002, 08:57 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default I haven't seen all the movies

you've listed as part of your "curriculum"---But, if you're attempting to have your students "understand" the factual accounting of the Vietnam War. Then I would most certainly eliminate "Platoon" and "Apocalypse Now" from your list of subject for their visual (and emotional) consumption. Most of each of these films is nothing more than hogwash at Hollwoods grandest! Some of each had parts which were somewhat accurate, but most of it was PURE Hollywood bull$hit.

I just started reading a new book by "Hack" (Col. David Hackworth, USA-Retired), entitled "Steel My Soldier's Hearts", that I am so far (I'm in the fifth chapter) very pleased to describe as absolutely accurate in his accounting of the tactics, terrain, and conditions endured by his Battalion (4th of the 39th Infantry Brigade) and my old Division (9th Infantry) in the Meking Delta---I was in the 2nd of the 60th Brigade not far from his AO---.

I'm not a big fan of "Hacks" (especially his politics)---but, he DOES have a "knack" for compiling and describing events of that war extremely well and was (as I've been told by those who served under him) an effective and outstanding combat line officer.

Anyway, it'd sure as hell beat watching those two films I mentioned before for "accuracy"!

Welcome aboard,

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote