Thread: An Act Of War?
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2003, 10:21 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Gents -

Often (unfortunately), when one thinks that he is engaging in a bug-swatting operation (Liberia in this case), the bug fails to realize that he is just that - just a bug!?

This thing in Liberia is unpredictable at best (opinion)! As always, it is beginning with limited numbers, and hopefully it will remain controllable, if any armed engagement can be considered as such! "People on both sides, unfortunately, always die in wars!" And I am not so damned sure that Charles Taylor's departure alone, although essential, is the magic key to Liberian tranquility!

In my opinion, these people (Liberians) will always find some other excuse to continue the carnage, and it just may escalate!

Although (again) only my opinion, this whole mess (like most) is all about power and control, and when both sides (Rebels & Taylorites) finish, unless there is a force to keep them separated, this thing will fester and reignite in a heartbeat!

"So what does that leave - a force of occupation, mostly from the Dark Continent perhaps?!"

Occupation is a drain upon manpower, material resources, money, and of course - patience, with the United States supplying the lion's share of the first three! And when this game plan is extended to encompass several operations, almost world-wide, and all at the same time, the situation can get out of control, in short order!

"By the way, will someone tell me again - why in the hell are we engaging in Liberia?"

VERITAS