View Single Post
Old 08-22-2003, 08:40 PM

My great-great-grandfather, Pvt. Henry Clay Bryant served honorably in the 9th Missouri Sharpshooters during the Red River Campaign. My great-great-great-uncle, John Yeager McPheeters was one of the Confederate sympathizers shot at the Palmyra Massacre, Palmyra, Mo., 18 Oct 1862.

The Civil War was fought over money--aren't all wars fought over money? In fact the root cause of continued slavery was money. When the Constitution was written--the framers intended for the slavery question to be settled by 1806. They worked on the problem then and it was suggested that each slave in America at that time be bought by the US government and set free. They were to be shipped back to Africa or set up in a country of their own elsewhere. But the guys in Congress at that time felt the government couldn't afford such a thing, and the problem was left to set and fester.

BTW my dictionary says that a "Civil War is a war between opposing groups of citizens of the same country or nation." Weren't we fighting in the beginning to stop the South from forming their own country? So you could say that the Revolution was our first Civil War.