View Single Post
Old 08-28-2003, 08:55 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Welcome Home to Pvt Lynch , and lets not transfer our anger at the system that awarded Jessie her ribbons. It reminds me of the MASH episode when BJ went fishing and ended up getting decorated for trying to rescue a downed soldier. He later gave it away thinking himself not worthy to have been decorated . Remember all of us that served our country didn't present ourselves any of the Medals or ribbons we received . I remember distinctly standing in formation while a co-worker received a medal for something that everyone in the shop had done before the only difference was somebody who knew how to write awards and decorations took the time to fill out the proper forms and Amn Smith received the medal. After 20 years in the Air Force I had all the ribbons you receive for breathing and not getting into trouble i.e. Good Conduct with 5 devices, Longevity with 3 devices, Short Tour Overseas Ribbon, National Defense, SW Asia Service Ribbon with One device, Airforce Training Ribbon, NCO PME , and Armed Forces expeditionary Medal. the only one I received that someone had to write an accommodation for was the Air Force achievement Medal, A Line Chief wrote for me. all the other supervisors I had always wrote the same thing when the 3 year point came up "This Airman at this time doesn't meet the standards to receive an award at this time". While another supervisor could have written one. But,it all depended back then who your immediate supervisor was and if you were unlucky and got a new one when it was time for you to be considered for an award tough luck. Again Welcome Back Jessie I hope your VA rating for disability goes well and at least they can't reduce your medical discharge check 1-1 for the amount of disabilty you will get from the VA . And remember folks its the knuckleheads that wrote out the Bronz Star Package on Jessie thats to blame. Whether or not she deserved the Bronze Star we may never know the rest of the Story. :cd: