View Single Post
Old 01-09-2009, 11:20 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Just google

SgtMaj Big Knife Johnson and you can read what I wrote about him and 1st Cav Medevacs. I wrote two different times about him and his Marine Platoon using the 1st Cav rather then their own. Both are on this site...so you can probably just put his name in here for a search.

One of my patients was decorated with the Distinguished Flying Cross 3 times in Vietnam. He was a 1st Cav Medevac pilot. He went in Hot LZ's, night flights, anytime there was a call. I forget how many times he was shot down....but it was more than 3. Don't know how he or any of those crew's survived. His best story is that when he got home from Nam the car rental agencies wouldn't rent him a car. He was just shy of being 21.

There were no better Medevac pilots and crew than the 1st Cav. The Cav basically invented it, even though there were some used in Korea....nothing like what happened with the creation of the Airmobile Division. As Doc Fred said, they'd pick up anybody. Just ask a lot of Marines that are alive today because of the Cav Medevacs when the Cav was up north.

These guys were truly heroes......no doubt about it.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote