View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 07:14 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default I read a great book

about Tarawa about a year ago and can't for the life of me remember the name. Something like 3 days of hell...or something like that. I'll look for those interested. The real story of that battle finally came out in this book. I couldn't believe what I was reading. They got the tides wrong and almost all the landing craft got hung up on the reef. The Marines had to wade in from way out....like 1/2 a mile all the while under heavy machine gun, mortar, artillery, and small arms fire. Eddie Albert was a coxswain, (?), on a landing craft and was decorated for valor because of all the Marines he saved who were floundering in the water. It was a mess. The Japs were so dug in none of the landing prep fased them. Steve, thanks for posting this. I'm sure many of those still missing were killed out in the water and will never be found and Lt....hopfully we Americans will always remember their sacrifice. I know I will.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote