View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 12:16 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I got to the 101st the beginning of JUL66. After P-Training at Phan Rang, I was assigned to C company, 2/502. I was taken up to Dak To to join them. The 1/327 was also there. The 2/327 was, in fact, down in Tuy Hoa on the Central Plains. These 3 rifle battalions, along with part of the 320th Arty. and 326th Eng., made up the 1st Brigade, the only part of the 101st Airborne Division in VN at that time. Packo, it was still all paratroopers so I did get my $55 Jump Pay; also my time with the 82nd. Around the end of JUL or first of AUG we all moved down to Tuy Hoa to join 2/327.

Now with that being said, I don't remember seeing or hearing about any joint operations with any units of the 1st Cav. Doesn't mean it wasn't so. I'll have to ask my brother-in-law, who was with 2/327 at that time.

When this guy listed the units that he served with he says "502d Airborne Battle Group." In both the 101st and 82nd, the units within the division were referred to as PIRs [Parachute Infantry Regiments]. I got out in JAN69, so maybe the terminology change. Anyone else know? Also, 1/503 was part of the 173rd Abn. Bde., so I don't know why he listed it as "[173d ABN Brigade/101st ABN]". 1/502 and 1/501 PIRs were both part of the 101st, but didn't get to VN until late '67 when the rest of the division was sent over from Campbell. It doesn't look like he listed them in the order that he served with them. He has time spent with SF units between the 2 101st units. Confusing to me.

I peg him as a wannabe. F... him, good riddance.