View Single Post
Old 10-13-2003, 09:25 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

If through some act of magic, there were not to be a Country called Israel, there still would be no peace in the Near east, Middle east, ever. Terrorism and conflict is a way of life and a business with an inexhaustible source of manpower, anxious contributors, customers and victims. No one in the area, no one, really wants to see the Palestinians become a united entity with a country of their own. Words to the contrary are nothing more than pap; curtural lip service and double speak.
Memories are long and countries like Jordan, Saudi Arabia and Lebanon know the ugly subjugation and humiliation they have inflicted on the Palestinians and don?t look forward to pay back day. They all have a vested interest in keeping the conflict(s) at a boiling point but not overflowing the pot. One of the best-kept secrets is the extreme depravity and poverty the Palestinians are subjected to in Lebanon. They have no rights or privileges whatever and are lucky to have any kind of employment let alone access to schools, medical attention or decent housing. But for reasons unknown the world chooses to be the three monkeys when it comes to the reality of what is really going on. Peace with Israel would let loose a Pandora?s box of historic tribal and religious sect enmity and hatred that goes back many centuries and that conflict will never end. As I see it, there is not a question of if there is going to be a conflict but only who the combatants are and where.
A lot of US Presidents have had their sword broken trying to broker peace in the area and all to no avail. The reality, it seems to me, is that no one wants to disturb the status quo and charge into a larger abyss of fratricidal warfare that lurks just beneath the thin vainer of supposed common cause.

Scamp