View Single Post
Old 10-23-2003, 06:46 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Tonight I went to my SCV camp meeting here in Georgia and brought in the Days Newspaper(Georgia Times-Union) It had an article covering the 20th Anniversary of the Beirut Barracks Bombing. Pictured with a Father standing next to his sons Grave Marker.His Son was LCpl John W Blocker USMC and on his marker was engraved the globe and anchor ,the US Flag and the Confederate Battle Flag and his Sons Picture. Here was a Man proud of his sons accomplishments and heritage. One of the last letters LCpl Blocker wrote his 4 year old little brother before he was killed ended with the following phrase: "If I Die today , I will be proud of my God, Family, Country and Corps" the phrase is on his gravestone, Also on a Plaque at the Nassau County Building in Yulee, Fla. and there is a monument to his memory at the Fernandina Beech Middle School which was the High School at the Time . My SCV Camp Commander Sam Lyons (marine)was serving aboard the New Jersey when the Barracks in Beirut was blown up and he lost a lot of friends and fellow marines so this day was difficult for him. So for him It's still personal the events in the Middle East. "God Bless" all the troops we lost that day and all the others to this day 20 years later. May there be Peace before the next 20 year anniversary so our guys did not die in vain. AMEN