View Single Post
Old 10-30-2003, 06:56 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Water run for the Company

Sometimes it becomes necessary to have to make a water run for the Company,thirst was a constant companion.Water run would be each platoon volunteer 5 guys and these guys would gather canteens from their platoons.In this photo first guy on right,carrying Radio and canteens is RTO Roger Gorecki(Au Gres,MI)guy with water bags around neck is William"John Wayne"Sadler(VA).Was also the other new guy who flew out to my company in the bush.Behind him is RTO Ed"Easy Ed"Gibbs(South Side Chicago)holding Radio in hand,behind is Jim Caviness(LA CA)Across Sadler's chest is the Bra.The bra is the ammo bandoleer that comes with every box of ammo and it comes with a safety pin,First, start with 10 magazines,load nineteen rounds per magazine,put them in the little pockets,take the strap and pin it in the middle,put both arms through it and adjust it to your chest,easy to get to ammo and makeshift flak jacket.You can also hump your pack without it bothering you.The other 10 magazines was wrapped around your waist in a bandoleer also,cut the strap in the middle and just tie it on.The plastic bags we got from the medic(you don't want to know what their purpose was)We tired to find water that come out of ground,but brother when ya hot,water is water.In 1970 you could buy kool-aid with sugar already mixed in,two canteens of water plus kool-aid,shake well and you could have a grape or a strawberry day.My wife sent me 50 packs of kool-aid one time and I believe I drank about all of them,today don't sit kool-aid down in front of me.I'm attaching two photo,one I took looking Right of RTO Gorecki and next photo is the bags being filled up looking left of RTO Gorecki