View Single Post
Old 01-28-2004, 04:03 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Yup, the C-5... quite a LARGE piece of machinery ain't it :-), but nothing compared with the equipment you seafaring ones move around the world! Was reading a Tom Clancy novel the other night, having to do in part with our ships at war... he wrote about how one of your big ones was approaching the dock after a tour, easing up to it, and the captain of the ship just let a gust of wind nudge his vessel to the mooring... a gust of wind mind ya!

I was AF right at the very end of the recip era... we had jet fighters and our beloved B-52 of course by then, but the C-5 and C-141 were in prototype stages, or maybe final check outs. If memory serves, our beautiful SR-71 was either up and running (in total secret) or just about to be. We did at the time begin using the KC-135 for a tanker, which was a jet... but our cargo was mostly hauled by 123s, 130s and 47s still then.

Believe me, I honor the choppers a whole lot... the work they did and do is astonishing, and cannot be done any other way. I just get goofy sometimes, roostering for no good reason at all :-)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote