View Single Post
Old 04-06-2004, 07:39 AM

Default So all things in moderation

You make some good points.

It's not the single exposures that are the problem as much as repetitive exposures that add up to too much exposure. And it's not just one thing - This chemical is in many things - So inventory where it is; monitor all exposure to it. Pesticide is a specific type of chemical; not an indication of toxicity only. (EPA has studied 2-butoxyethanol and diethylene glycol monobutyl ether for endocrine disruption, for instance. Something pesticides do, which other chemicals generally don't.)

Hardball helped me think through some things - on this thread

Hunters who clean their guns a couple of times a year don't have to be so concerned about the solvents in gun cleaners, for instance ... compared to our troops who clean their guns 3 times a day. NOW you are talking about the right personal protective equipment per MSDS - that is not happening in our military today.

So, should they use less toxic products or wear the personal protecitve equipment per MSDS?

Jet fuel? It is more hazardous than people realize and may be a source of harm not fully checked into. I believe the ethylene glycol ethers have been harming our people for more than 30 years & that they may be ingredients in jet fuel for that long, too

I have been doing a lot of research - mostly on 2-butoxyethanol; and I wish to share what I've learned in hopes that others can take it further: a link in a chain.

This has some good info: www.valdezlink.com/generic.htm#research

Quote:
Mike shared these thoughts: "Why aren't more servicepeople who served on carriers suffering from JP fuels?

My immediate thoughts are: Not everyone who made a living pumping gas got sick, but quite a few still did. It's just gas station workers suffered from a higher rate of certain illnesses than others.

Same with people who worked with certain metals, chemicals, gases, etc.

Many people in the service were told that what they were handling was safe; many of them swallowed those statements, perhaps never connecting their health condition to previous naval work. Only some who were sickened connected the dots and only some of them are speaking out. And of those, not many are actually heard on a broad basis. Well, that's my opinion.

The White House and the VA got very tired and exasperated listening to my dad regarding his health problems from WWII as well of those of his fellow servicemen. The government and big business wants them to shut their mouths.

An e-mail request to the CDC

on Flu Symptoms

Traces of blood in urine? *

Diarrhea then Constipation?

Seizures Fainting Dizziness *

sendpm.gif