View Single Post
Old 08-26-2002, 06:07 PM

Bill,
Finally got some free minutes to check this forum, as discussed earlier. I've put it into my favorites so it can be reached quicker too.

I am glad to learn somebody other than myself was not thrilled as maybe one should have been by the Ken Burns series. I had looked forward to it actually very much. Friends who know of what they would readily call "my obsession" with the Civil War were all set to give the series a sigh of relief that finally something had gotten my attention. It was very difficult to explain to anyone the ways in which the series disappointed. Of course, I was very glad to see Mr. Foote hold forth in it, and felt that certain elements were up to the need (such as that lady near the end who said the war is not yet ended...).
Anyway, I plan to look into the Danny Glover tapes wherever they can be found near here. Some significant battles (e.g. Carthage) occured nearby and there was a lot of raider-type activity in this region back then...so there will certainly be copies of those tapes someplace around.
Thanks for your great info about the Union army oath of 1861. I'd love to know/see a copy of the Confederate oath of that period too. I'll keep checking in here from time to time. Maybe someone out there knows how to get at that obscure document.
Mike
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote