View Single Post
Old 11-20-2004, 10:50 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Andy & MK

Some good info, guys. Keep it coming.

Andy, I haven't run across the info you asked about. If I do, I'll sure put it up. Would be interesting to see.

From JUL65 until OCT67 the 101st was only the 1st Brigade, consisting of 3 rifle battalions: 1/327 [James & Pig Humper], 2/327, 2/502 [me]. There was also 1 battery of 1/320th Arty and part of the 326th Eng.. Eventually, the whole division from Ft. Campbell, KY, would be in-country. The first elements started arriving in OCT67, but I don't know when the transfer of the whole division was completed. I was at Bragg by then. Maybe Bill Farnie has more on this.

The 173rd: As I recall, most paratroopers weren't real hot on being sent to them. They had a reputation of expending alot of their personell unnecessarily. It often seemed that they had a disproportionate ratio of casualties. Like alot of units, the 101st included, in the day of the Search and Destroy tactics under Westmoreland, they liked to put a smaller unit out as bait and reinforce it when contact was made. This didn't always seem to work out....alot. I'm guessing that they often underestimated the size of the enemy units that they went up against. Most of the troopers that I met that served with them were glad to be out.....and alive.