Thread: IED question
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2005, 09:40 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Re: Since my son is currently

Quote:
Originally posted by PHO127 Your Tanker buddy knows not of what he speaks, A Tank Sabot round is simply a heavy metal rod (depleted uranium or similar) that is about 3/4 of an inch in diameter with a base. It penetrates the armor and sends a spalling charge of molten metal all through the tank incinerating everthing inside.
I think what he was talking about is the material which surrounds the metal rod you refer to? The rod is clearly visible coming out the end of the round, but the round itself is a whole lot bigger than 3/4 inch.

In other words, a sabot round is not a "bullet" in the conventional sense. The rod is propelled at ultra high speed by the densely packed explosives around it... ? This is why I am asking about what a shaped charge is.

Seems to me, every round has some sort of shape, so a "shaped charge" must mean something else.

Anyhoo, he was TC on an M1 in Desert Storm, so I figure he and you have it right, and I misunderstood someone, or failed to ask just the right question. He showed me one of those "bases" being referred to up above... it looked to be about the diameter size of an old V8 engine piston.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote