View Single Post
Old 08-20-2005, 11:54 AM

Distinctions
Staff 

The first statement about being careful who you room with is very important. All you parents out there listen up. I speak from experience as a college senior, who had a bad roommate experience. It was my first year and while it started off good, gradually friends would be over playing video games around midnight while I am trying to sleep. And (pray your son/daughter doesn't go through this) he brought a girl into the room while I was asleep and I was awakened by them doing the nasty (apologize for that, but this is what you may face). Firm rules between the roommates must be hammered out within the first couple of days of being on campus if you are going to have a good experience. My experience turned me off of roommates for the next two years. Now going into my last year, I am rooming with someone from my class, who I know well, so it should be better. Here are two tips for parents and students:

1. Be very specific in what qualities you expect in your roommate. Remember this is someone with whom you will be living with in a small space for about nine months. If necessary have your parents talk to your school's director of residence life. I know this sounds like you are still a little kid, but you and your parents are paying good money not to have to put up with BS from someone else's kid.

2. Always meet with your RA (Resident's Assistant). Parents you may want to do this as well. They are paid to handle these things and can help your student if trouble does arise.

Having a roommate is one of those experiences that comes with college so take my advice and it should be a great time for you. To all you first year students, enjoy your time in college because it goes by quicker than you think. Parents, don't try to fight all of your child's battles on campus (only ones that they may not be able to handle, like administration and professors). Let them make mistakes and solve the little problems themselves. Also, let them know that they can call you anytime (I still call my parents every couple of days to talk). Best of luck.

President Ronald Reagan (1911-2004)

Civil War History
Military History Blog
Frontier Battles
5th Minnesota Infantry, Company D

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote