View Single Post
Old 10-03-2009, 04:49 PM

You are absolutly right about there being the 18X Program in-effect now. Basically what happens is that a kid gets recruited right off the street, as long as they meet some more strigent requirements than normal recruits, and attend OSUT (11B Basic / AIT) at Ft. Benning. Then it is on to Basic Airborne School and then up to Ft Bragg for the Special Forces Pre-Selection Course (SFPC) which last three weeks and then a week after that off to Special Forces Assessment and Selection (SFAS). Now not only are THOSE 18Xs there are also what is called "cross-overs" which are Basic Army Recruits that are recruited in Basic Training by the Special Operations Recruiting Battalion (SORB). SFPC also deals with Special Forces National Guard privates and lower enlisted that are attending SFAS as well. This is the same way the program has been run in the past (kinda one of those why re-invent the wheel type deals). SF goes through this about every ten years or so. The last time it took place was the late 80s / early 90s at which time they only had authority to recruit prior service NCOs into the force.

Hope this clears up anyone's questions. But if anyone has any further ones please fell free to PM me and I can give you my work number and I can explain in further detail. And if you are around the Ft Bragg area feel free to stop by the SFPC Barracks and check out how we train up TRUE "wannabee" SF soldiers.
sendpm.gif