View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 09:53 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Another experience with the VA compensation system:

Hi Formergrunt70:

Thought I would send this post in the hopes that you would not feel like the only one confused by the VA System for Compensation.

After conferring with Andy before his death, he strongly urged me to file for compensation based on Class 2 Diabetes, Severe Hearing Loss in both of my ears, Posty Tramatic Stress from Vietnam and a Bad Back that I sustained while I was called back to Active Duty right after 9/11/2001, when I was still acitve in the Air Force Reserves.

Like you, the VA awarded me twenty percent for my Class 2 Diabetes and now take care of all the meds in that area. I also was denied any compensation for Hearing Loss although Audio Exams showed that I was deaf in the high range of hearing, moderately deaf in the middle range and slightly deaf in the lower range of hearing. Don't ask me what that means however, but I must have people repeat themselves several times before I get the meaning, especially in a noisy atmosphere. The VA did state that I could obtain Hearing Aids, at no cost to me, if I wanted them through the VA.

As for my Bad Back I was also awarded another twenty percent and told that any future treatments or operations would be taken care of by the VA. I have no plans to let anyone cut on my spine and will just live with the pain.

The Post Tramatic Stress was denied although I was found to have some Mental Problems that were brought on by my Vietnam Service. Because I saw little direct combat and just went through three Rocket Attacks and the loss of my Best Buddy while we both served in Nam, in their opinion that did not constitute enough Mental Problems to justify an award. Because I was able to hold down one job for twenty four years and stayed married to the same woman for almost thirty nine years, I am not showing the classic symptoms of Post Tramatic Stress, expecially where I do not think of Suicide or Homicide.

Here is something that might be of interest to you. Did anyone mention Nyopathy to you? (unsure of the correct spelling). Nyopathy is the distruction of Nerve Endings in the legs caused by the Class B Diabetes. Where most people are unaware of it they seldom menhtion the problem in the VA Compensation Report and most Va Doctors will not mention it. Well the examining Doctor that looked me over, in connection with my claim for compensation did a test and found that I had Slight Nyopathy in both of my legs, even though I did not make an initial claim for the problem. They then awarded me another ten percent, for each leg (another twenty percent total) That brought my total disability claim to sixty percent Disability total.

The point I want to make with you is that the Nyopathy is the most dangerous part of the Class 2 Diabetes as it never goes away and only gets worse as the years progress. About four months ago I found myself unable to stand upong either getting up from a chair or out of bed. I was forced to hold onto something in order to hold up my own weight. This would go on for a minute or two until the problem cleared but cramps would carry on and I now walk with a limp in both legs making my walk resemble a Penguin's walk.

I have now request a re evaluation of my condition with the hopes that the Nyopathy can be raised to twenty percent in each leg. I have an appointment with an outside testing agency later this week. The test was requested by the VA. Don't know if it will do any good or not but it is still worth the effort it will take to be examined.

Well Formergrunt70 I hope this information has been useful to you and good luck with your own appeal. I find the Va to be most helpful although they tend to prescribe too many pills in order to control specific conditions. They have me taking so many pills now that I have a hard time keepiing up with which one is for which ailment and the time that the pill must be taken during the day.

To you my Brother I want to wish you a MOST SINCERE and HEART FELT--WELCOME HOME:

To all the rest of my Vietnam Veteran Brothers and Sisters I also wish you all the same HEART FELT and SINCERE:

WELCOME HOME

VIETNAM 1968
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote