View Single Post
Old 02-26-2006, 07:44 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Its all in what youre used to

Quote:
Originally posted by 39mto39g At the start of this I said its just the way we did it and it was most likely not how other units or the Army did it.
If you said 36-point-3 over the radio would that be easy to follow on a map?
Wher you been anyway?

Ron
Ron
Its all about what you were taught--I was taught one way and it worked for me. Other units had different ways--well thats why we were always the best
Whatever way worked for you was the best. The way I said above was also what I was taught in Boy Scouts. (not the beer and cigarettes part)
If 36 point 3 didn't work for you some guys used quarters, halves, etc ans in : 36 and three quarters for 3.7.
It was all eyeballing anyway on maps that had been made before we were born. You just did the best you could.
If we got REAL lost---I mean: HELLA lost--( it did happen) you could have the artillery fire a round close to where you thought you were and then tel you where they fired it. If you could see it you knew where you were, shoot an azimuth to it and figure it out. If you couldn't se it you were in some deep shit.They never taught me that one in the Boy Scouts.
Geez with GPS this would be a snap nowadays, you'd know where you were to the inch.
Been all around Ron, to the Bay Area again and Chico, then to Newport OR and Portland. Fixing on my house again. Next week its off to the bay area again and then off on 3/7 to--wait for it--COSTA RICA!! (honeymoon) But I always come back got too many friends here.
Stay good
James