View Single Post
Old 07-07-2002, 09:19 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default An 18 month "report card"!

I've been watching the on-going "feud" of political idealisms between James & Superscout with some amusement (and alarm I might add) and thought it appropriate to give a somewhat "brief" accounting of the past 18 months under GEE-DUBYAS' administration. As compared to the "previous" 8 years under a slightly more "Liberal" administration.

Are we "better off" now than we were then??

Don't think so!

VA hospitals are shutting down clinics, cutting back medical services, reducing stafffing levels to below what is considered "dangerously low" levels of employees to adequately deliver appropriate medical care, (source---Veterans service organizations such as DAV, V V A, VFW, MOPH, etc.) Many hospitals are CLOSING DOWN future admissions and some are backed up for future appointments for qualified vets for a year OR MORE! These hospitals are considered "vital" as centers for "disaster & war related" trauma & illnesses in case of suspected terrorists attacks!

Disabled and sick veterans are waiting longer than ever for their disability compensation claims to be adjudicated. Evidence has shown that the "simple" cases are being "pushed" through the system to offer the "appearance" that progress is being made while the serious, more difficult claims are still being stalled in beauracratic red tape with no clear prospect of a timely solution.

I suppose MOST folks on this forum (and elsewhere for that matter) don't have a CLUE that the "current" Director of the Department of Veterans Affairs Anthony Principi was named to this position by GEE-DUBYA for his "past" performances in gathering campaign funds for the Pres and the republican party huh? Not ONLY that, before he became "Director" of the VA he held the "lofty" position of CEO of QTC services. A firm which "contracts" outside medical exams & physican "opinions" for C & P exams for the VA. These "contracts" were worth "millions" of $$$$ for QTC while their "record" of performance with regards to "fairness" & "timelyness" of these "exams" and their subsequent "opinions" were at best "suspect"---this according the a GAO report AND an internal OIG report from the VA themselves!

All this while GW "pledged"---"A promise made is a promise kept" in his campaign to garner the more than 6 to 1 military and retired, disabled military voters! But-----his administrations "budget" fails MISERABLY to even come CLOSE to meeting the requirements necessary to fund these programs---AND he has EVEN gone on record---publicly---to state he would V-E-T-O any bill that comes across his desk that would "fund" con-current receipt of VA disability compensation & military retirement pay!!!!!

Now IF that's "keeping a promise"----then I MUST be missing something here!

Also, take a good look at "Corporate America",---Enron, World Com, Xerox, and on, and on, and on.

One of Gee-Dubyas' "good-ole-boys" from the GREAT STATE of TEXAS, Republican Senator Phil Graham has been "blocking" a bill in Congress (with I'm SURE the Presidents blessings) that would make SURE the Board of Directors of large companies like Enron were "held more accountable" for the "accounting practices" of their companies! Why do you suppose that "good-ole-boy" Phil is doing this?? Because his W-I-F-E sits on the Board of Directors of ENRON---that's WHY????

The current head of the SEC (Securities & Exchange Commission) appointed by GEE-DUBYA has gone on record stating he is AGAINST tighter controls & more "regulation" for coporate America???

What about the "last" administration you say?

For decades, the accounting industry has beaten back efforts to subject it to stronger government supervision. Against the backdrop of the savings and loan crisis of the 1980s, when taxpayers spent billions of dollars bailing out failed thrifts, extensive hearings in the House produced lots of criticism of the auditors and little if any change.
During the Clinton administration, some of the same lawmakers now calling for reform thwarted much of SEC Chairman Arthur Levitt?s agenda to regulate the industry.
Since 1990, accountants and their political action committees have given $57.4 million to federal candidates (mostly Republicans) and political parties, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.

Yep, that's what we need awright GW----LESS REGULATION!!!!

Anyway. I'm not TOTALLY upset with GW and his "agenda"----I DO think he's doing OK in the "War on Terrorism"----But, I think just about ANYONE that got elected would follow the "advice" of good sound military advisors and do their dead level best to see that ALL amercans are safe and our way of life protected.

I'll have more "later"---but, SO FAR, at least in "domestic" policy, he gets a GREAT BIG "F"---for FAILURE in my considered opinion!

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links