View Single Post
Old 01-28-2003, 12:21 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Talking Don't Drink The Water

I remember a time when I took that cold, clear glass of water for granted. When turning on the tap and having nature?s champagne flow into a crystal clear glass was expected! ?Well, that was then, and this now!?

H2O out here in the west is so hard in places that it sounds like lead shot when it slams out into the sink. And some time back I was shocked when I learned what was in some of the west?s finest water supplies. Outside of lead and arsenic, the mineral content reads like a who?s who from Hell in some places!

I also remember years ago, traveling across country and walking to the johns (toilets) at some rest stops that had to have smelled worse than a Hanoi Bordello on a Sunday morning, or so I?m told?! When I inquired about the stench, I was told that it was a result of sulfur in the water? ?Well, maybe so, and maybe not??

Well, I just heard where at least ?70 BILLION GALLONS? of California?s water ain?t fit for even ?Osama bin Laden? to drink, and that?s saying something!! It seems that a lot of our water out here in ?Amazonia? is contaminated (according to AP) with two (2) particular pollutants - and that?s enough water to slake the thirst of some 400,000 families for an entire year!! For the record, the two pollutants are reported to be -

1 - MTBE, a gasoline additive that is supposed to curb air pollution, and
2 - Perchlorate, most commonly found in rocket fuel....

?How in the hell this shit found it?s way into our drinking water is a mystery, except (I suspect) to a few instantly created millionaires within the Powers That Be?!?

According to the media, the (multiple) parties responsible for this ecological disaster are paying wee-little fines for their transgressions? But, I mean what the hell, isn?t that sort of like attempting to fine Hussein for using nerve gas upon the Kurds? ?Far too little, much to late so to speak!??

As usual, the ?Old Barn Door? is being half-way shut, long after the nag has taken to the hills. In a fashion, I might add, similar to the government?s cavalier attitude in treating and compensating victims of Gulf War Syndrome, Agent Orange and a score card full of other such domestic atrocities!! And if I appear to be harping on this issue, ?YOU'RE DAMNED RIGHT I AM?, as a few in power are quick to (conveniently) forget the sins of their largest contributors!

I guess the bottom line here is that if you are planning a trip to the wild west, remember to bring along plenty of bottled water and your credit card, as there ain?t much anymore that you can get on the open-ended tab, unless of course, you are in politics!!

VERITAS