View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 03:50 PM

Default 1815 B of NO on Far West Bank of Miss. Riv.

My ancestor, Adj. Lt. John (W?) Nixon, de Jean's 1st Louisiana Militia, fought on the far West bank until over-run by the British, when he spiked his two light cannon and retreated. The cannon and regimental flag may be in the War Trophy Room, Whitehall, England?

Nixon was the senior City Attorney for New Orleans and 1811 helped co-found it's Masonic Lodge. He was born Macguiresbridge, Co. Fermanagh, N. Ireland, April 23, 1787, and entombed Biloxi, Mississippi, June 4th or 7th, 1849. His waterfront tomb survived Hurricane Katrina, but not his tombstone (today un-marked).

Daughter Martha Bell Nixon, 1818-1904, wed Asst. N.O. City Atty. Peregrine 'Perry' Snowden Warfield of Georgetown, D.C.; close kin of base-born Bessie Warfield who wed King Edward VIII. Both of Bessie's parents were Warfields, both un-married, both age 15; the family 'secret'. I do not think Kings could wed illegitimates back then?

Her sister, Jane Anna Nixon, 1820-1898, was the second wife of my LtCol Robert Wm. James, 1811-1882, civilian master of the Army transport 'Gen. Hamer' out of New Orleans in the Mexican War. Their son, my great grandfather, Biloxi harbormaster, Capt. Harry Copp James, 1848-1923, New Years Day, 1914, brought the light cruiser, USS Chester into Ship Island with President Wilson aboard.

focusoninfinity

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links