View Single Post
Old 03-10-2004, 02:45 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Great stuff...

Bill & Murph & Des -

-When the Minie was being manufactured in factories, did they use the wax method there routinely too?

-Did the trooper in the field, if/when casting Minie's use the wax?

-Would, for example, Vaseline or heavy gear lube perform the same or a similar function as wax?

-So, as long as the end of the soft metal projectile is formed (with a concavity) so as to expand and fill the space, then it does not matter how well-filled everything in front of that place fills the space?

-Is ALL rifling on a curve within every barrel or are there other designs, such as straight?

-Is there ANY modern rifle that does NOT have rifling?

-Since the lead of a Minie is fairly soft, how were rounds carried so as to not ding up the surfaces with them banging into each other, running all over the place like they had to?

-If the effectiveness (kill/maim) of the Minie was so certain, why would any trooper even attempt to dum-dum a round?

-Do modern day fighters find it necessary to "beef up" shoulder arm rounds somehow? I have read on here about how some mortar and/or shoulder rocket (something, maybe it was bazooka) guys DO fiddle with loads per se. But what about ordinary rifle rounds? Doesn't seem necessary, but what the heck do I know, zip

-The normal (unaltered) Minie... in most cases then would enter the body. expand and stay inside, right? It would not go clear through a person as does, e.g. a .357 round (and another one Murph mentioned a couple weeks ago)?
I.e. Does the Minie expand upon striking soft tissue?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote